Solved

Moved into new property and I owe previous tenants bill, why?

Show first post

163 replies

BPLightlog, thanks for the very interesting reading. I will follow up on a few things. Nobody at work though during bank holiday to talk to so will wait until Tuesday 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Jimbos

Welcome to the customer forum, i am just a customer like you. 

When you move into a property you are meant to first register with the incumbent supplier for that property, in this case Eon.

Then you can switch to OVO at a later date. 

I suspect the process has got complicated because of this. 

It is also now complicated as it is over 14 days since you initiated a switch via OVO, so outside the normal window for cancelling the attempted switch.

Have you registered with EON now for the time being at least to get started? 

Didn’t know any of this, OVO  knew my situation and accepted me as a customer from the outset. When I bought the property it was vacant and sold through an estate agent I had no idea of Utility suppliers. I received occupier demands from BGas and Eon so have registered with them until OVO sorted. Thanks for the info Jeffus.

Morning. Hopefully someone here can help. My wife and I have recently moved into our new flat and set up with Ovo as they were the provider for the previous owner. We have paid our first bill and everything seemed fine. Then today we received a letter from Ovo addressed to The Occupier which is a bill for the same billing period (more than our plan) but linked to a different account number. I presume this is the account of the old owner but I’m not sure what to do as the billing periods are the same and it would appear there’s two accounts now linked to the address. Any advice? 

Many thanks in advance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @NiallSC and welcome to this customer forum. There’s a guide here and if you’ve already set up an account then we are told you can ignore anything to previous customers usually addressed to The Occupier. 
Hopefully you have a meter reading from when you moved in. 

I am hoping I can get more help her than I can from the number on the OVO letter. 

We moved to our current property in the end of Jan 2021. We contacted OVO and gave them the meter readings and informed them we were switching to a new provider. All was fine until a year later and we got a bill saying we owed them 27p. Weird but we paid this as it was the small amount we used while the switch took place.

Cut to this morning and we have received a Notice of Default saying we owe them £2772.19, but they are not our energy provider.

We called the number and entered our account number on the automated system but it said it didn't recognise it.

Spoke to 3 individuals who all hung up on us when we asked about the bill (not great customer service)

Has anyone had anything like this before?

Obviously we aren't paying as we have never received energy from them.

Userlevel 6

Hey @Wafer85 

Sorry to hear about this, and the trouble you’ve had trying to get it resolved. 

We don’t have access to accounts here at the Forum, so we wouldn't be able to see the reasoning for this. 

I’m going to get our Forum Support to reach out to you, to see if they can find the reason for this. Look out for a Private Message in your inbox. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Wafer85

Worth checking who is registered as your gas and electricity supplier

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/moving-home-your-energy-supply/find-out-who-your-gas-or-electricity-supplier-is/

Is the Notice of Default from OVO or a 3rd party? 

Our supplier is Octopus, we switched as soon as we moved into the new property. This is also reflected on the find my supplier link.

I am having a conversation with OVO now, although they haven't responded for a while.

Userlevel 6

Hey @Wafer85 

I know we’ve instructed the Forum Support to look into this for you, but it would be good to know how you got on with the Support Team yesterday? 

I called the support team and they said the account remained open when we switched to the new provider when we moved into the property 

What they couldn't tell me is why we had an open account in the first place. We were never with OVO, the previous home owners were. The only contact we had with you was to notify you that you will no longer be providing energy to the property.

The person I spoke to did a simple search and found that Octopus has been the energy provider since Jan 2021, but couldn't explain why a Notice of Default was sent to us for £2772.19 when you haven't been providing us with energy!

He also refused to close the account until we send through the meter readings from 2 years ago to resolve this matter.

Obviously, I not very happy!

I now need to get in touch with my actual provider, get the first set of readings and then give them to OVO to close an account we never opened.

Oh, and the Support person who opened a private chat yesterday requested my details at 12 and still hasn't responded, so I had to call the support line.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I called the support team and they said the account remained open when we switched to the new provider when we moved into the property 

What they couldn't tell me is why we had an open account in the first place. We were never with OVO, the previous home owners were. The only contact we had with you was to notify you that you will no longer be providing energy to the property.

The person I spoke to did a simple search and found that Octopus has been the energy provider since Jan 2021, but couldn't explain why a Notice of Default was sent to us for £2772.19 when you haven't been providing us with energy!

He also refused to close the account until we send through the meter readings from 2 years ago to resolve this matter.

Obviously, I not very happy!

I now need to get in touch with my actual provider, get the first set of readings and then give them to OVO to close an account we never opened.

Oh, and the Support person who opened a private chat yesterday requested my details at 12 and still hasn't responded, so I had to call the support line.

In case it helps. 

When you move into a property you are put automatically with the previous supplier whether you want to stay with them or not. You don't get a choice.

So you would have been with OVO for a bit before actually joining Octopus as switching is never instant. 

So that is why you will have an account with OVO, albeit a short one. You don't get a choice. 

I don't know obviously, but you may find a meter reading dispute is raised. There may be a discrepancy between the final reading left by the previous occupiers and your starting reading. 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/guide-to-meter-reading-disputes

I have previously moved into a new property supplied by OVO and as now the legal occupier I opened a letter to them sending debt collectors round because the previous tenants hadn’t paid their bill!

I was mortified that they are doing this! I tried calling and couldn’t get through to them at first. When I did the gentleman was very reassuring and told me he would rectify the bill and did the sale pitch to which I decided to stay with them.

Received the new statement and they are still trying to charge me!! I’ve had it with this company already! Painful is an understatement! Plus my new email as a new client states they are open Saturday they are not!

Not at all happy and want to go back to Bulb Energy even though they are slightly more expensive. Customer service was second to none.

The answer Ovo gave to this is not actually true, my mother bought a home on 21st August and immediately registered with Ovo (on 22nd) and set up a direct debit.  She continued to get threatening letters addressed to the occupier.  I complained on 7th September and was told to ignore them as they were computer generated and couldn’t be stopped until they had a name to chase.  I gave them a name to chase and was told she wouldn’t recieve any more letters.  Received 2 more letters 2 weeks later.  My mother is in her late 70s and is extremely worried that bailiffs will turn up.  Spoke to Ovo again yesterday and they told me the letters would stop but couldn’t confirm it in writing because her emails weren’t working.  This is basically harassment of old and vunerable people.  Disgusting behaviour especially when we have proved that the debt does not belong to the current “occupier”

Userlevel 7

Hey @ledwards01,

Sorry for the experience your mother has had, it sounds very stressful.

Unfortunately if a previous occupier owes money on the account, we need to follow a collections process where letters would be sent to the property regarding the arrears. After a certain point, the letters would stop and we pass on the information to a debt collections agency who will find the details of the previous occupier through trace and search. They’ll then be able to track them down at their last known address. 

But we’re unable to go to a debt collection agency or court before we’ve shown we have attempted to contact the occupant who didn’t pay for their energy usage. 

As long as your mother has an account set up in her name from the date she was liable for the property she doesn’t need to worry about any occupier letters. She can return to sender. She isn’t liable for these bills. 

Hope that helps. 

A, there are over a years worth of letters piled up so the “process” is obviously quite laboured

B, some of the letters were from debt collectors so that hasn’t worked 

C, I have now given them the name of the previous owner twice so not much tracing to be done!

D, my mother has proved beyond reasonable doubt that she is the new owner of the property and she did not live there when the debt was accrued

So regardless of your “process” it is still harassment of an older vulnerable woman who has moved to a new area and knows very few people.  I don’t really care how you dress it up, it’s very poor behaviour in anyone’s book.

Userlevel 7

Hey @ledwards01,

Sorry to hear that it’s causing your mother stress, I can imagine it’s a frustrating situation to be in. 

When a customer has a final outstanding debt and we’ve exhausted our internal collections procedure, the account is placed with an appropriate Debt Collection Agency (DCA).

Once it’s been escalated to a debt collection agency they are then in charge of chasing for any owed monies. The debt is then passed to them. Do you remember the name of the agency or have any letters from them? If so, I can tell you their contact details. 

If so, my advice would be calling them to advise that your mother now lives at the property and the previous tenant has moved out. 

You’ve mentioned your mother is over 65, if she isn’t yet on the Priority Services Register I’d advise getting her added. There are free services and support that may be helpful yo her. 

There is also the option of raising a complaint if your mother is unhappy with the service she’s been given. 

Hope this helps. 

I have received a letter addressed to "The Occupier", requesting payment for a “final energy bill” (“we’re sorry to hear you’re leaving. We’ve attached your final energy bill to this letter”) for dates (30th June - 10th July) before I moved into the apartment (11th July), so a bill that the previous tenant would be responsible for. The account number on the letter is different to my account number. The letter wants payment within 14 days.

I contacted OVO via online chat and provided them with my details and account number, the date I moved in, the account number the bill is charged against and the dates on the bill. Though the rep asked for no evidence (e.g. my tennancy agreement) for these dates, which I would have been happy to provide.

The service rep told me that “[I] can disregard [the letter], as you're not liable for it.”, and that the interaction would be noted.

I just wanted to check that there is nothing else I need to do to avoid any further issues with this, and to ensure that this bill doesn’t come back to me? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @TedFQ ,

Yup, you can disregard that one. You’re NOT liable for anything related to a previous tenant. Feel free to let your landlord know too if you wish.

Once you’ve informed OVO, that’s really the end of the story as far as you’re concerned.

Hi @Blastoise186,

Thank you for replying so quickly.

Do you think the online chat and the detials I provided have been sufficient to “inform OVO” and ensure it’s logged in their system?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’d say so. The live chat interaction will have been logged and the agent should have made notes.

What you say on the forum is considered “off-the-record” for OVO’s purposes, but you can still refer to it if you wish.

Ok thanks, the agent did specifically say that they would make a note of it, so hopefully they did. I’ll leave it as is for now and see what happens at the end of the 14 days indicated on the letter.

If any other letters arrive I’ll give them a ring, though hopefully the live chat will have sorted it.

Can anyone help I have exhausted every avenue and no one is helping 

my son recently moved in to an apartment ( mortgaged) he set up a temporary account so he could switch from OVO to a new supplier which has gone through successfully and final bill paid no outstanding balance.

HOWEVER …. He is constantly receiving letters To the occupier , and since we have no idea the last letter informs of a dept collection agent being involved. We have phoned / emailed/ spoken to collections/ web chat / spoke to the resolution team / emailed a letter of completion showing date from solicitors ……., and all we get is …. Ignore the letters …. How do we stop the letters and stop a dept collection calling . 
I have today emailed Ramans team I’m honestly exhausted 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Flagging to forum moderators. Please wait

Userlevel 7

Hi @S-Lou,

Thanks for sharing this and I’m sorry to hear there’s letters being sent.

If your son set up an account with OVO when they got the keys to the property, and then switched supplier (which would be confirmed with a final bill from OVO and a new account with your new supplier), the letters sent to the occupier will relate to period before. That period relates to the previous occupier. It sounds like there is an outstanding balance for that account. Your son can carry on ignoring those letters. Although they might consider getting the previous occupier (or the agency involved in the exchange) to contact OVO to provide a forwarding address. 

Hello, I have seen previous thread about debt collection letters sent to people for previous tenants bills, but don’t understand why is this still happening. I’m in the same position and I’m finding it extremely upsetting - I have just received the letter for the someone else’s debt addressed to ‘the occupier’ threatening with debt collection agency within next 7 days unless the debt is cleared. I have set up my OVO account when I moved end of November 2023 and I’m paying by direct debit. OVO clearly knows who the occupier is and when I moved in,  why am I getting threats for a different account number relating to a debt that is clearly not mine? These are very recent letters, so there can’t be any confusion as to who the occupier is.