Solved

Energy smart tracker

Show first post

74 replies

Userlevel 2

Still not receiving any updates or emails to keep me informed of what's happening with regards to my in home display tracker. Sse aren't particularly very good at keeping their customers informed are they?? 😡

Userlevel 2

My case isn't solved yet. Still having unusual values on my in home display tracker. Come on sse. Please get a grip. It will be 3 weeks soon and I'm starting to get really annoyed 😡 by all of this. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It’ll take a while to develop a permanent fix. DCC is on it but they’re not exactly known for being super speedy. The fix will however (hopefully) fix this issue for everyone at once when it rolls out, possibly within a few months or so.

Userlevel 2

Anyone from sse/ovo please, are there any updates on correcting in home display tracker meters, cuz I'm practically pulling my hair out here, almost 3 weeks since the tariff was changed, and I'm still waiting for my smart in home display meter to be corrected. Is anyone else still waiting for theirs to be sorted out 😡

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m afraid there’s no timescale as to when DCC will have the fix ready. It’s up to DCC and Aclara to figure something out together. OVO/SSE and other energy suppliers have no say in the process I’m afraid.

Userlevel 2

Userlevel 2

What about a contact number for the person who is supposed to be fixing the problems. Does anyone else have the same kind of in home display meter as myself? And are having the same problems. 

Badge +1

I suggest you use the consumption data to monitor your usage rather than the values.  The consumption data should come direct from the meters and can be relied upon.

If you know your prices you can establish a ready reckoner to compute daily figures.

But I don’t have or want a smart meter and I don’t consider myself disadvantaged - I can monitor my consumption direct from the meters easily enough.  And its consumption that drives bills, and its consumption we should be trying to limit.

Userlevel 2

The last person that lived here, was with sse, and I used a key before. Was told I had to have a smart meter installed. I have managed to purchase a set of keys to check the smart meter outside my front door. So I have been going by that one. I still have plenty of credit left, but I'm worried that any top ups will affect it again. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Don’t worry, further top-ups won’t make anything worse. You should continue to top-up as normal otherwise you’ll go off-supply.

Userlevel 2

Thanks. Let's hope it gets sorted before the next credit amount is due, which isn't long now. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

As I said, I’m afraid it won’t be that soon. But I promise you this right here on this very public forum.

As soon as the fix is ready and fully tested, it will start rolling out. Within 24 hours of the fix being downloaded and installed to your meter, your IHD should fix itself permanently.

What I cannot promise however, is when that fix will be delivered. Because I don’t have that insight. Please be patient. It’s in development.

Userlevel 2

Thanks for being honest with me. I have patience, but something like this tends to make me lose it. I will do my best. I have spoken to some people I know who's meters are now working properly, one friend said yesterday hers had been sorted the day before. And she is with eon, it's obvious to me that some suppliers are taking longer to get things done, giving more stress to people. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’s a different issue. @meldrewreborn has been helping to keep track of those on another forum.

Although the amount of electric on the IHD is showing the right amount, it is saying minimum suggested top up £504.

I have still not received the £66 energy support payment.  3 phone calls to SSE, and 2 complaint forms, getting me nowhere.  They told me to phone back on the 7th November if I still haven’t received the October payment.  Worst customer service I’ve ever experienced.  They are so bad I tried to phone up a different energy supplier to move away from them, but nobody is taking on new accounts, I can’t even leave SSE.

I tried to submit a complaint to OFGEM but it won’t accept them as it hasn’t been long enough since I complained to SSE.  Today I contacted Citizens Advice Bureau, I have a reference number and will phone them up tomorrow and hopefully they can help me. 

I think I am finally getting my Energy Support Payment.  My mom phoned them up and got it sorted for me.  They have given me £16 credit as a down-payment and said the rest will come on the meter within 5 days.

Userlevel 7

Good to hear things are getting sorted for you, @mark531

In your earlier message you mention OFGEM. This will be the Ombudsmen, and they require either a deadlock letter or a complaint raised more than 8 weeks ago. You can arrange a deadlock letter once your complaint has been escalated to the complaints team. I just wanted to outline that for you so you know all your options. 

Not sure about that minimum top up figure though. If you’ve got a SMETS1 Aclara smart meter, your In Home Display may be affected by the same issue described here:

The electricity part of my smart meter appears to be working but the gas side is way out.  Today I’ve had a reading of instant use of 192kW, whereas my only gas appliance - the boiler- is rated at 24kW. So, the meter says I'm using 8 times as much gas as my boiler can use.  I’m assuming that the bug that caused this is on the list of fixes. 

I think I am finally getting my Energy Support Payment.  My mom phoned them up and got it sorted for me.  They have given me £16 credit as a down-payment and said the rest will come on the meter within 5 days.

My mom achieved nothing, despite her best efforts, as the SSE customer service team are completely useless.  She spoke to them 3 times, but then had to give up. as SSE pretended to give me the October energy support payment.  They gave me £66 credit, and £66 debt on the meter at the same time, with a repayment rate of £2+ per day.   I finally received the October payment from them 2 days ago after their complaints team contacted me since I contacted Ofgem.  They are looking into the November payment which I have still not received it.  There are serious problems with SSE’s customer services.  I feel sorry for anybody who has to phone them up to try to speak to them about something.

In your earlier message you mention OFGEM. This will be the Ombudsmen, and they require either a deadlock letter or a complaint raised more than 8 weeks ago. You can arrange a deadlock letter once your complaint has been escalated to the complaints team. I just wanted to outline that for you so you know all your options. 

SSE would not even accept telephone calls about non-payment of the energy support payment until 18th October.  Then you have to start calling, you eventually make a complaint, maybe 1st November.  Then you have to wait until 1st January until Ofgem will begin to listen to the complaint.  Winter will be over before Ofgem help anybody to get the energy support payment meant to support people through winter.

I live in an old (18th century) 4 bed house. Our bills seem to be alot higher than they should be. We are on a smart meter

We do have electric underfloor heating in 3 rooms and an hybrid plug in car. However when away at the weekend on a day when no active usage (other than  underfloor heating, which I forgot to switch into holiday mode) we used 40Kwh for the day. 

I've looked at all the appliances that we have and estimated that it should have been less than 20kwh.

Is there anyway to find out what is causing this level of usage? The app gives some numbers but they don't they appear to be just a guess about where the power is being used.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy @GrahamMcN ,

Quick question. Is your Smart Meter set to Half-Hourly, Daily or Monthly readings?

Userlevel 7

Hey @GrahamMcN,

With half hourly or daily meter readings, you can see how much your energy use has cost every day. Using the Online Account you can see how much energy you’re using, how much it’s costing in £ and p, and even get an idea of where it’s going in your home. 

Although the energy tracker isn’t exact, it bases it’s information on algorithms such as how energy is used (frequency, kWhs used, duration) to assign that usage, it can give an idea of what appliances are using most energy. 

Another way to test how much energy each appliance is using, is by switching off all appliances and then switching on the appliance you have concerns about. 

Want to take a closer look at your usage? Check out this topic: 

I have located the problem (I think) when I used a pc as opposed to mobile app to look at the underfloor heating controllers. One was using 10x the energy of the others. Seems to have happened after a powercut.