Solved

Energy smart tracker

Show first post

74 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I might unplug the in-home-display and put it away in the draw, I feel like throwing it in the bin, it looked like 20 year old tech when they first sent it us and now it has basically stopped working.  No idea when or if it will be fixed.  I would have just preferred an android app. 

I wouldn’t do that tbh. If you need to punch in a UTRN manually, you’ll need that IHD to do it. If you get rid of it, you may regret it later.

Userlevel 2

Good morning Tim. I have just received two keys so I was able to access my meter cupboard. I have been rewarded my first credit amount. It reads £79.43. It's just my smart meter that's not working properly right now. It's saying I have £794.30p. Hopefully it will be rectified soon. I just keep receiving letters from sse/ovo. No correspondence from ovo itself. I have contacted sse numerous times to try and find out when my smart energy tracker will be back to normal, but they are none the wiser. 

Userlevel 2

No response to my message earlier Tim from ovo. I have tried to get an online account, but because I a a pay as you go, they don't have one set up for people like us. 

I definitely haven’t received the £67 payment.  I will phone them next week if it doesn’t appear.  I didn’t get the text message, I don’t think they have my number.  I just tried to create an account on SSE website but it says I can’t as I’m a pay as you go customer.  I did put in a complaint to SSE on their website the other day about the in-home-display and not receiving the energy support payment. 

Tim, how long are we going to have to wait for the in-home-display to be fixed?  A week, 2 weeks, a month?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I definitely haven’t received the £67 payment.  I will phone them next week if it doesn’t appear.  I didn’t get the text message, I don’t think they have my number.  I just tried to create an account on SSE website but it says I can’t as I’m a pay as you go customer.  I did put in a complaint to SSE on their website the other day about the in-home-display and not receiving the energy support payment. 

Tim, how long are we going to have to wait for the in-home-display to be fixed?  A week, 2 weeks, a month?

@Blastoise186 have you heard about this specific IHD issue impacting other suppliers?

Just wondering if this is just ovo for this specific issue? 

Userlevel 2

I got the same response mark531. I managed to purchase some meter keys to check my meter cupboard outside my door. That reading confirmed I had received my first credit payment. Its just the smart energy tracker that's still wrong. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Your wish is my command! Data analysis is currently in progress, please wait.

My robot army is also being activated to assist with the search. Expected completion in: 1 hour and 30 minutes

Userlevel 2

I don't know who is responsible for the hashup of the prepayment meters, but it's becoming a joke now. 

I received letters from sse/ovo explaining what was going to happen on the 1st October, but not until a few days later after the tariff issue had occurred. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Analysis complete. OVO and SSE are not to blame as other suppliers are also affected.

The blame technically lies between DCC, Aclara and IHDL (In-Home Displays Limited) which manufactured the SSE Smart Energy Tracker - better known as the IHDL SmartView. That particular combination didn’t get put through some of the testing that other combos got, but I don’t know why.

However, SMETS2 Aclara meters are NOT affected because they did go through the proper testing. I think there is a plan to squash the bug permanently, but that’s all I know.

Userlevel 2

Thanks Blastoise 186. I found out how much I had on my meter outside the front door. I purchased a set of meter keys. So I know what my unusual value means on my smart energy tracker. It should read £78.98 not £789..84p.

So hopefully that smart end tracker will be fixed soon. 

It is fixed :-)

Still not got my £67, but at least the display shows the right balance.

The blame technically lies between DCC, Aclara and IHDL (In-Home Displays Limited)

Whilst technically true, if OVO wouldn’t have bought SSE and force-moved us onto their system the in-home-display would not have malfunctioned.  Personally, I blame OVO.

Userlevel 2

Mark531. How long ago did your energy tracker meter get fixed? Can you send a photo 📸. Cuz mine hasn't been fixed yet 😔. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The blame technically lies between DCC, Aclara and IHDL (In-Home Displays Limited)

Whilst technically true, if OVO wouldn’t have bought SSE and force-moved us onto their system the in-home-display would not have malfunctioned.  Personally, I blame OVO.

There’s three flaws with that statement.

1. Other suppliers are also affected by the exact same issue, and none of them have anything to do with OVO or SSE
  2. OVO and SSE have never had direct control over S1 Aclara Smart Meters. Prior to DCC adoption (where only DCC now has direct access), the Smart Meter System Operator for S1 Aclara was CGI Instant Energy
  3. SSE Plc wanted to get rid of their retail division for several years before they sold it to OVO - they actually tried to sell it to Npower back in November 2017 but the deal fell through before OVO agreed to buy it two years later. If it hadn’t been OVO buying SSE Energy Services, someone else would have done so

And to be honest… OVO has no control over the stuff that caused the bug in the first place.

And regardless of which supplier triggered the migration to DCC via Enrolment & Adoption, this bug would have triggered anyway.

Make of that what you wish

Userlevel 7

Hey @Dolly5,

Sorry for the issues you’re having.

This sounds like a known issue affecting the In Home Displays and we’re working on a fix for it. It won’t affect your billing.

You are able to get the Boost App once you are supplied by us, but it sounds like you might still be with your old supplier? I’d advise giving them a call to check. 

Hope this helps. 

Mark531. How long ago did your energy tracker meter get fixed? Can you send a photo 📸. Cuz mine hasn't been fixed yet 😔. 

It got fixed shortly before I posted the message.

If yours hasn’t been fixed yet I imagine it will soon, within a few days.  Either they are migrating some each day, or the updates are propagating through the network. 

With regards to the missing £67 energy support payment, I just tried to phone SSE, but gave up.  A message on their phone system asks for people to only phone after the 17th October if they haven’t received the payment, so these are not being done all at the same time.  I will wait another week then phone them.

Userlevel 2

Thanks Emmanuelle. I must still be with sse, because the letters I received after the meter went funny had sse/ovo on their letterhead.

Bet you are relieved now Mark531. I'm sure you will get your first payment soon.

I will let you know when my meter is back to normal again. 

Userlevel 2

Smart energy tracker meter still not got the right amount showing. Good job I bought those keys to check in the meter cupboard. Will just have to keep checking in there until my meter is back to normal 😤. 

Userlevel 2

I tried to call them a few times last week, but kept getting the same answer. Good job it's a free phone number, cuz it took over 25 minutes before someone answered the phone. Got quite a few numbers. But always get fobbed off with an automated response, saying the lines are left open for vulnerable people. Think I am one of those kind of people. 

Userlevel 7

It’s tricky for our (or in your case, your old supplier’s) Support team to commit to timeframes for this IHD glitch. It’s related to the product itself, and the SMETS1 Aclara smart meters that they link up to. 

Now that you have access to the meter itself, you can check the balance there just like the days before smart meters. We’ll then send any update settings to the IHD over the coming days or weeks. 

Userlevel 2

I'm hoping my smart meter will be working normally within the next few weeks. Hope so before the next credit payment in November. I only look in the meter cupboard when I'm on my way out. It's still a pain in the derriere. Should have been fixed by now. It's almost two weeks since the event occurred. 

Userlevel 2

Does anyone know the customer service number for ovo. Not sse. Unless they are the same number. I want to speak to someone preferably from ovo who can give me a proper response. Instead of being fobbed off. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

OVO is 0330 303 5063

Userlevel 2

Thanks Blastoise 186 😊. Hopefully I'll get some straight answers. 

Userlevel 2

I phoned ovo number u gave me. They were really nice, but said I am still with sse. Gave me another number to call. Waited nearly half an hour to speak to someone. Basically it's the same as last time I spoke to someone. 

As long as my meter outside my front door is reading the right amount. I should not worry. 

Was assured that I am definitely not the only one who has the problem, and just have to be patient. I said they could at least keep me updated, because I never receive anything to let me know what's happening, and how much longer I will have to wait. It's so frustrating 😤.