Solved

Energy smart tracker

Userlevel 2

Since the 1st October, my smart meter tracker has been showing unusual values. Have phoned ovo numerous times, but still getting the same answer which is, still having glitches. I want someone to come and have a look at my meter, but not getting any joy. 

icon

Best answer by mark531 10 October 2022, 21:28

View original

74 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Dolly5 ,

My name is Blastoise186 and I’m one of the forum volunteers here. I’m also one of the resident smart meter experts on the forum.

There is no need to have an engineer visit and there’d be nothing that an engineer visit would fix anyway. There’s already remote fixes in progress which should result in some firmware updates being pushed out to properly fix the issue. Hang in there for now - it’s being worked on.

Your Smart Meter is working fine and your bills aren’t affected.

Userlevel 2

I'm a bit concerned that I will be charged an extortionate amount of money, because my smart meter is showing I have over £819, when it should be reading just over £81 if my first credit amount has been credited of course. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I can reassure you now, that you won’t be overcharged at all. It’s just a display bug for which a fix is already underway.

Your In-Home Display should also be treated as a guide only. The real bill can be found in your online account which is the single source of truth.

Userlevel 2

Because I only have a smart energy tracker, I am unable to have access my account online. I have tried by downloading the app. It's not possible. 

Userlevel 2

Are there still people having the same problem as me? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Because I only have a smart energy tracker, I am unable to have access my account online. I have tried by downloading the app. It's not possible. 

If you’ve recently been migrated to OVO, you need to set up your online account in MyOVO before you can use the app. https://account-activation.ovoenergy.com/confirm-email . This link will work once you’ve had your welcome pack from OVO, but in some cases you may need to wait for your first bill before you can set it up.

Are there still people having the same problem as me? 

There are a probably a few, but the plan is to fix ALL of them in one go remotely.

Userlevel 2

I was originally with sse. I only found out they were with ovo a couple of days ago. I used to have a key to access my meter cupboard, the energy smart tracker I have been using for more than a year. I wasn't informed about being a access my account online at all from the person who installed my meter unfortunately. I will endeavour to try via my ovo though. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Whether it works will depend on whether you’re still with SSE though. You’d be informed of your account migrating, so if that link doesn’t work, you might still be with SSE. In which case you’d want https://my.sse.co.uk/

One will work, one will not.

Userlevel 2

OK thanks. I will let you know whether either of them work. 

Userlevel 2

Userlevel 2

That was my reply back. Due to the fact that I am a pay as you go customer, they don't have the facility to have an online account. 

I have over £819, when it should be reading just over £81

It is a bug on the in-home-display showing ten times the amount of what is actually on the electricity meter.  If it says £819 it means you have £81.90 credit.  Just divide the electric amount by ten to get the right amount.  Mine is doing the same.

I couldn’t create an account at OVO because I don’t have the OVO account number, only the ones from SSE. 

Userlevel 2

So u are experiencing the same problem as me. It's a bloody nightmare mark531. Have u tried to speak to someone regarding the issue. I have lots of times last week. It's been over a week now. 

I have the same problem.  I haven’t tried to speak to anybody as I don’t think they will do anything.  Somebody is going to fix the programming on it, and then they will send out an update automatically and it should start to work again properly.  They sent me a letter saying the display would show incorrect values on 1st October but that it would correct itself the next day, now it has been 8 more days and they still haven’t fixed it.

Also I was expecting the £67 energy payment the first week in October and I haven’t received it, did you get the energy support payment?

Userlevel 2

Userlevel 2

I think I received my first payment, cuz I only had £23 left on my meter before £66 odd pounds were added to it. Those are my 3 meter readings in the last week. Mark531. 

Userlevel 2

Userlevel 2

That was my monthly history, lol 😂 

I might unplug the in-home-display and put it away in the draw, I feel like throwing it in the bin, it looked like 20 year old tech when they first sent it us and now it has basically stopped working.  No idea when or if it will be fixed.  I would have just preferred an android app. 

Userlevel 2

I used to have a key to access the cupboard outside my door. Since my smart meter was installed, I haven't been able to access the cupboard. I have just purchased a set of meter cupboard keys. Waiting for them to arrive. I don't understand why they can't have an app for our smart meters. 

Getting into the electric cupboard won’t really help you, because you can’t access the stats on it, and all it will show is 1/10 of the electric amount on the in-home-display.

I thought I had been given £220 extra credit at first.  It was only when I checked on the electric meter that I realised what had happened.

Userlevel 2

They have until the end of the week. If its still not sorted out. I will be wreaking havoc, lol 😂. Apart from that. How was your weekend mark531. 

I might just try to switch to a different energy supplier, see if Shell Energy are taking on customers, and hope they give out the double warm home discount again next year, and send me a new in-home-display.   I didn’t ask to be moved to OVO and for them to mess-up the display and forget to give me the £67 electricity credit.

Userlevel 2

U may have already received the credit, but cannot tell from your meter. I did receive a text message from sse at the beginning of the week saying to ignore the unusual values. Did you get a message? 

Userlevel 2