Solved

My online account daily usage section hasn't updated but I have smart meters - what is issue?

Show first post

128 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @TheEpicBlob and thanks for posting that greater level of detail.

Firstly if the problem is the retrieval of data by OVO, then the Toshiba Communications Hub is the item we should be most interested in. The fact that the SMETS2 Electricity Meter below it is an L&G E470 is unlikely to be an issue.

Look at the Tutorial on the Smart Meter Health Check, and Section 3, which talks about the indicator for the Wide Area Network (WAN).

If you’re unsure of whether the flashes you see are slow or medium frequency, have a look at this dynamic graphic I posted a couple of years ago.

Then tell us here what you’ve observed.

Userlevel 7

I can see that the meter is communicating as you seem to be getting daily usage under the monthly tab (however, I suspect this is just fuzzing the usage it’s received so it looks like daily usage but seems far to consistent and will sometimes show a few pence the following day to correct a manual reading).

Worth mentioning here that the ‘usage’ pages of your online account might not clearly show whether we’re in communication with you meters. Have you tried checking the ‘Meter Readings’ page of your OVO app? This will show a history of the readings we’ve received and can highlight the days where the signal was lost and we’ve had to estimate that days usage.

I’ll be honest, the meter is in a terrible place being in a basement flat, under a concrete drive with what I assume rebar holding it up, so no wonder it struggles with signal sometimes. 

Sounds like this could be explain things - as @Transparent has already mentioned the WAN light on the comms hub will indicate that the meter is able to connect to us or not. As ever if you do notice a drop in communication which doesn’t recover it’s worth reaching out to our Support Team for the next best steps.

Keep us posted, we’re always on hand to investigate any technical bugs with the online account,  which may be separate to smart meter communication issues :slight_smile:

Userlevel 2

got a smart6 meter says gas is getting checked ok but not been g displayed online account has anybody else got this trouble no contusion register o0n online account since 17/03/2022

Userlevel 7

Hi @curtis,

We’re happy to offer some advice here on the OVO Forum. We might need some more detail though. I’m not sure what a smart6 meter is - able to send a photo or let us know the manufacturer? 

Which supplier are you with? 

If it’s OVO that fitted your meter, this might be a good place to start:

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Activating TARDIS Mode!

@Tim_OVO I have time travelled back through previous posts and comments by @curtis . My analysis indicates they have a SMETS1 Secure Liberty 100 installed in 2018, along with an S1 Chameleon IHD3-CAD-PPMID. The gas meter is also therefore a Secure Liberty EG4v6 (most likely). There’s a possibility that OVO might have installed them, but I can’t say for sure. OVO is their current supplier, based on the post history.

That reminds me actually. I finally found my own list of suppliers who installed S1 Secure meters again. I’ve updated it with the latest data to factor in more dead suppliers that went through SoLR.

Userlevel 2

Thanks for the update once more it is appreciated 

Userlevel 2

It has now come back working from OVO thanks once again 

Unable to access Electricity usage on the web Page since April 11th

Can anybody help.

Bob Spree

Userlevel 7

Hi @Bob Spree and welcome to the OVO online community,

Sorry to hear there’s been a bit of an issue with the information showing on the usage pages of your online account.

Just in case this could indicate an underlying drop in the communication of your smart meter we’d recommend checking out the advice given in the guide below:

If this doesn’t help get to the bottom of things maybe it might help to post up a screenshot of the issue you’re having for our community members to be able to offer more advice. 

I have been receiving this message since 11th April. The problem lies at OVO’s door because I have not been charged for electricity usage since that date. My meter readings are being transmitted because I can view them on the Meter Readings section of the webpage. Support tells me that they are receiving the readings ok and the problem is at their end and it would take 3 months to resolve.

Bob

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

While you are waiting for OVO to sort out your account. 

There are a few free 3rd party apps for android and apple phones that many of us use.These companies can legally access your  smart meter data if you give them permission. Links to one of the apps, you don't need to buy any of their separate devices.

https://glowmarkt.com/

​​​​​You will then be able to see if the Bright app is seeing anything different to OVO. It can be a useful check if you think there is a problem with OVO itself or elsewhere. 

This is another company with a free app

https://loop.homes/

Here you can see the loop app displaying the 30min readings for electricity for me for example. You can also see daily and monthly figures. 

I do not need any 3rd Party Apps as I can see my Meter Readings on the Meter Readings section of the webpage. Also, support tells me that my readings are being received OK.

OVO obviously have a software problem because they have NOT charged me for electricity usage since 11th April.

Bob

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Bob Spree 

The main reason i thought the app might be useful in the short term is that it would enable you to see 30min readings which  you can't currently see on the usage page. 

You can't see these 30min readings from the meter readings section as the meter readings section works differently using a single reading your meter transmits every day after midnight.

The 30min readings aren't added up to make the daily reading. The daily and 30min readings are transmitted separately.

Does that help?

Feel free to ask anything else if you think any of us may be able to help.

Hope it all gets fixed for you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Bob Spree

I assume your meter page says all the readings are Smart. 

I assume there are no missing days. 

Hi All and HNY!

I’m wondering at what time does OVO receive the smart meter readings and how soon does the app/website get updated? The reason I ask is that for a from when the smart meters were installed to a about a month or so ago the app/website was updated by 7 am, now it seems to be much later in the morning, or even this afternoon which updated the past two days. To throw a spanner in the works from late October last year the daily electricity usage was being received but the daily summary wasn't updating even through the half hourly figures were being updated. Something to do with the information going into the wrong register.

Any thoughts?

cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @Wouster ,

Happy New Year! Your name actually reminded me of the @Wouter account that has a very unique purpose here. Let’s just say that this forum couldn’t exist without it. :)

Usually the data is collected sometime between midnight and 7am each day and your account should get updated within a few minutes. If comms are struggling, it might be attempted later in the day.

Could you show me some photos please? I might be able to help with diagnostics.

My smart meters haven’t updated on my app for 12 days now ,the wan light is flashing 4 times and I have updated the app

i don’t have an IHD, I had two and neither connected was told to phone and they said it would do it automatically which it didn’t (this was a while ago so I have u with it !) 

Any  ideas please. Any get through on chat ! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Elphaba ,

Can you post photos of the meters please? You cannot connect them directly to your phone, but I’m good at diagnostics.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks! That doesn’t look good, but luckily I’ve gained a new tool I’d like to try with you.

Can you use the tool at https://smart-meter-help.ovoenergy.com/ to report this? it usually works great with the meter type you’ve got. Any trouble, stop by this thread and I can help you out. :)

Unfortunately I tried that yesterday and it says I need to call :-( 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ok. Things are going crazy at the moment but should calm down soon. Live Chat will be much easier, but you’ll need to do a manual form. To make that easier, I’ll grab it for you and I’ll help you fill this one out. Questions are taken from:

If you can pop your answers in this thread we’re in right now, it’ll help a ton later. :)

Elect

time and date

gives meter reading

low phone signal 

H15P0156753

wan flashes 4 times 

no light on the Han

gas

G4P01407521500

time and date gives reading

less than 10 meters between

no metal 

under stairs and haven’t moved

han on gas 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks, that’s perfect. When you manage to get through on Live Chat, feel free to give a link to this thread and ask the agent to read through it. It’ll save you explaining again.

You should have better luck getting through tomorrow. In the meantime, I’ll let @Emmanuelle_OVO know the tool seemed to break as this might be a possible bug.

Userlevel 7

Quick update here from me, having asked the team who built that form: they tell me if the submitted information doesn’t allow for a case to be raised, for any reason like formatting issue or missing details, that’s the scenario we would recommend calling. 

I’m not sure specifically which bit of your responses was the issue, @Elphaba but forward a link to this topic in a web chat to save you having to type anything!