Solved

Smart meter in block of flats

I've just switched to OVO and was told that we could have a smart meter installed, but since then I haven't heard anything further. I am concerned because our meter isn't in our flat, it is in a communal cupboard to which I don't have access. I'm worried I won't be able to read the meter regularly if we can't get a smart meter. Has anyone had experience of this?
icon

Best answer by Max_OVO 9 June 2017, 12:46

Mattj3135 wrote:

Damaris238 wrote:

I've just switched to OVO and was told that we could have a smart meter installed, but since then I haven't heard anything further. I am concerned because our meter isn't in our flat, it is in a communal cupboard to which I don't have access. I'm worried I won't be able to read the meter regularly if we can't get a smart meter. Has anyone had experience of this?

Hi @Damaris238 welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

Check out this discussion here on distances for going smart https://forum.ovoenergy.com/pay-monthly-21/whats-the-maximum-distance-between-meters-to-go-smart-339/index1.html

If you reach out to the OVO customer care team, you can find out what the smart meter engineer availability is for your region.

Good shout @Mattj3135!

Thanks for your question @Damaris238. The important thing to consider before getting a smart meter, is the signal strength.

Smart meters use 3G phone signal to send readings to us. So if your meter is in a place where phone signal is poor, it's unlikely a smart meter will work.

For this reason, we wouldn't normally recommend having smart meters installed in communal cupboards or basements, etc.

If you're able to get access to the cupboard and see what your phone's 3G/4G signal strength is like there, this will be a good indicator of whether a smart meter will work.

Max

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Damaris238 wrote:

Check out this discussion here on distances for going smart https://forum.ovoenergy.com/pay-monthly-21/whats-the-maximum-distance-between-meters-to-go-smart-339/index1.html

If you reach out to the OVO customer care team, you can find out what the smart meter engineer availability is for your region.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Mattj3135 wrote:

Damaris238 wrote:

Good shout @Mattj3135!

Thanks for your question @Damaris238. The important thing to consider before getting a smart meter, is the signal strength.

Smart meters use 3G phone signal to send readings to us. So if your meter is in a place where phone signal is poor, it's unlikely a smart meter will work.

For this reason, we wouldn't normally recommend having smart meters installed in communal cupboards or basements, etc.

If you're able to get access to the cupboard and see what your phone's 3G/4G signal strength is like there, this will be a good indicator of whether a smart meter will work.

Max

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)
    Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close