Tutorial

OVO SMETS1 (S1) Chameleon In Home Display Guide

OVO SMETS1 (S1) Chameleon In Home Display Guide

Show first post

88 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It is yes. It’s the Chameleon IHD6-CAD-PPMID-S1 but it’s in very short supply because of super high demand.

If you fancy an IHD now though, I can help with that. Check out this guide! :)

Hi @Blastoise186 

Funnily enough I just found this thread while digging about.

I’ve asked around the family just now and when the smart meter was installed they were awaiting stock so apparently the engineer never left one. I found similar stories in this thread above.

I’ll check out the guide linked. thanks so much!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries.

As good as that special IHD6 is, literally everyone is constantly trying to get hold of them and there’s only so many to go around. OVO is currently prioritising something like 99% of the stocks towards Boost PAYG customers with S1 meters because they rely on the PPMID (Prepayment Meter Interface Device) features to be able to monitor credit and top-up manually. That’s something you wouldn’t need on Pay Monthly because you don’t need to feed the meter to keep it going.

Engineers will usually try to leave an IHD as part of the install, but you qualify for one to be posted out for free if you’ve never had one. It’s just a case of whether it’s available, which sounds unlikely.

Great @Blastoise186 

We took over this home back in August and the previous occupant was a 94 year old great aunt. My girlfriend says she had the meter fitted but no display with a promise it would follow at a later date.

I’ll give them a shout again and see if I can work something out with them. I did the house clearance and there was no IHD (a one bedroom cottage). Hopefully they’ll agree to a display if I contact them!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It’s worth asking. :)

Otherwise, ivie or Hildebrand should be able to sell you one.

@Blastoise186

If I were to pick up an IHD6-PPMID on eBay, would have to be an originally issued OVO unit or is the IHD6 cross-compatible? I’ve found an OVO one but was checking just in case I find another, should I not get one from customer support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

eBay will scam you and it won’t work anyway. OVO won’t pair an IHD that came from unknown sources

Good to know. I’ve popped a request in with customer services so I’ll sit back and hope it happens.

Thanks so much @Blastoise186 . You’ve been an amazing insight. Keep it up!

Userlevel 7

In the meantime, @MrWilks, don’t forget about daily online usage charts that come alive now that your meters send us your readings every half an hour. 

Also, free third party apps are good:

Hi @Tim_OVO 

Thanks for that. I have a Drayton Wiser system which have the option of Insights+ so I’ll also look into that. 

Now that the meter is set to 30 minute intervals it’s come alive. It’s a shame it wasn’t on this from the start but I hear the government want everyone on half-hourly reading by 2025 as a default. 

I can only see the previous days readings though so I can’t see it for earlier in the day which is a shame. 

When the IHD arrives (could be a while) I can help understand my usage more. This is why I want to really be more eco-friendly. Also it will help the missus understand as she doesn’t worry about these things!

In the meantime, @MrWilks, don’t forget about daily online usage charts that come alive now that your meters send us your readings every half an hour. 

Also, free third party apps are good:

Hi @Tim_OVO 

I really do need help. 

So it’s been eight months and we’re still having a nightmare with our smart meter progress. I’ve asked three times and OVO haven’t sent a IHD which is understandable if they are in short supply but the app stopped working when we applied to switch gas over to OVO from BG. This never went though (we’ve started the process five times now) and I’m locked out of the app as it states “You’ll be on our supply on June 22nd”. It’s almost October and we’ve not been able to get any detail on our daily usage. The app is frozen in time on a day in June!

I’ve asked multiple times for an IHD as we never had one at this address due to the engineer not having stock when the meter was fitted but still no joy. 

So we’re in gas limbo and an account we can’t access for the last three months. Customer services don’t manage to get any further forward with any of it so wondered how I can get an IHD I can use to view what I’m using on a daily basis? We can’t find out our current bills currently.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You could take a look at the Hildebrand/Glow IHD used with the Bright/Glow app @MrWilks 
https://shop.glowmarkt.com/products/display-and-cad-combined-for-smart-meter-customers

Maybe not ideal but it could help. I use one myself. I’ve also gone through a supplier switch without any problems on this device as it’s ‘locally’ connected to your smart meter. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @MrWilks,

Really sorry to hear this, it sounds like a very frustrating situation. I’ll get Forum_Support to reach out, please keep an eye on your private messages.