Solved

What is the best day to give readings to avoid estimates being used on bills?

Userlevel 1
OVO sends me a text on the 7th February telling me it's time to submit our meter readings, and that this is best done on the 13th for accuracy and to avoid estimated readings.
So I hang around until the 13th then, on precisely that date I submit our readings.

Just checked our account today and am dumbfounded to see OVO has added one extra day's estimated reading to those I submitted on the 13th, now telling me that the best day to......etc, is the 14th.

What's THAT all about?? It's a blimmin' joke isn't it. Tells me to do one thing, does something else. All I want is an accurate bill NOT an estimated one. Seems OVO are not technically equipped to carry out this simplest of tasks. Maybe just one of the reasons why they are no longer 'top of the class' in Customer's experiences (see "Which" Review). Or maybe simply building the case for earliest 100% installation of the dreaded SMART METER. I'm hanging out until the last second before I press go on that. I've heard some crazy things about them.

ANY COMMENT FROM OVO PLEASE?
icon

Best answer by stateofit 16 February 2018, 15:33

It sounds to me like your statement cycle is set to the 15th, so if you really don't want to see the word Estimated on your bills, just add the reads on the 14th of the month, and your statement will be up to and including that read...

If you submit reads on the 13th, OVO will estimate forward 1 day. If you add the reads on the 10th then OVO will estimate forward 4 days...

I'm not sure where that advice of giving reads on the 13th came from, but clearly the 14th is your best "readings day".

Of course, it almost doesn't matter. The next time you Do submit reads it all catches up with itself. But if you want to see Exactly what you've used, with no estimation, submit reads the day before your bill comes out

Or Yes, get smart meters. Had mine fitted a year ago, and they're Ace. No need to do readings, bills always exact, My OVO usage graph shows Where my money's going. Nothing Dreaded about it...

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
It sounds to me like your statement cycle is set to the 15th, so if you really don't want to see the word Estimated on your bills, just add the reads on the 14th of the month, and your statement will be up to and including that read...

If you submit reads on the 13th, OVO will estimate forward 1 day. If you add the reads on the 10th then OVO will estimate forward 4 days...

I'm not sure where that advice of giving reads on the 13th came from, but clearly the 14th is your best "readings day".

Of course, it almost doesn't matter. The next time you Do submit reads it all catches up with itself. But if you want to see Exactly what you've used, with no estimation, submit reads the day before your bill comes out

Or Yes, get smart meters. Had mine fitted a year ago, and they're Ace. No need to do readings, bills always exact, My OVO usage graph shows Where my money's going. Nothing Dreaded about it...
Userlevel 1
Thank you for your kind and informative response "stateofit". I'll be taking your advice next month. Appreciated. BTW: regarding the 13th being my best time to provide readings, this came by OVO text. Cheers.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
https://smart.ovoenergy.com/credit

Hi Tomwaitsfan1

Thought the above link might come in handy should you wish to have an easier life and book a smart meter :)

Agree totally with stateofit, they are ace, I've had fun with the neighbours one, can't wait to get mine :)

Wishing both of you above a great weekend :)

Tris :)
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hey @Tomwaitsfan1,

Ideally we’ll need the readings the day the invoice is created so this sounds like it would fall on the 14th and your statement would be created on the 15th.

If we don't have any readings on the say the statement is created, we’ll need to use estimates. However, if readings have been provided a day or so before (or at any point in the bill period) then it's likely the estimates will be pretty accurate.

I’ve advise double checking what date is on your statements to show when they were created and then providing your readings the day before.

Lucy
Userlevel 1
Thanks for taking the trouble to respond Lucy. Just to clarify my issue : Why did OVO send me a text telling me my best date for submitting readings was the 13th Feb, when really it should have been the 14th. I now see my statement date was 15th? It's the misleading text that's my issue.
Dennis
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
It sounds like a systems error to me @Tomwaitsfan1

I'll make sure this is passed on to the team - I'm sorry for any confusion caused!

Have you considered getting smart meters fitted? That way, your meters would send the readings remotely, meaning you'd never be billed to estimates.

Check out our topic on smart meters for more info: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-meters-smart-products-33/why-you-should-get-a-smart-meter-asap-542

Thanks,
Emily
Userlevel 1
Thanks Emily. That's good of you. I'll see how things go next time around and comment accordingly.
Cheers.
Dennis
e mail received from OVO on 26 Jan states:-

"Hello John,

We need your meter readings by 02/02/18 . That way we can make your next statement as accurate as possible. If we don't get them, we'll use estimated readings".

Each month I get an e mail like the one pasted above from OVO reminding me to provide meter readings with a link inviting me to "send them now" or by a stipulated date. Each month I provide the readings before the final date. I just viewed my latest statement and once again it shows the customer readings I gave on 1 March but disregards them and instead uses an estimated reading on 2nd March. If you want customer readings on the 2nd of the month why ask for them to be submitted at any time prior to that?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @John A

To use your example, that reading on the 1st March won't be disregarded. We will count up from that reading for 1 day to create an estimate on the 2nd. Having said that, usually getting the reading in the day before is the perfect date, and would avoid any estimate being used. For us to check why an estimate is being created even with a reading the day before, send over a message via Facebook, Twitter, or email: hello@ovoenergy.com.

Tim
Userlevel 1
Customers are encouraged to submit a monthly reading just before the statement date. Despite submitting a reading and it appearing on my monthly statement alongside the estimated reading, the estimated reading is used for the calcualtion.

Why, and what's the point of submitting a meter reading, that is clearly in good time as it appears on the statement, if the estimated reading is going to be used? The estimated reading is higher so I am paying unecessarily.

When I signed up for OVO the estimated monthly direct debit was substantially higher than I was paying before and now I find I am over £400 in credit.

How do I get a refund of the credit and adjust my monthly payment?

Thank you.
Userlevel 1
Markee wrote:

Customers are encouraged to submit a monthly reading just before the statement date. Despite submitting a reading and it appearing on my monthly statement alongside the estimated reading, the estimated reading is used for the calcualtion.

Why, and what's the point of submitting a meter reading, that is clearly in good time as it appears on the statement, if the estimated reading is going to be used? The estimated reading is higher so I am paying unecessarily.

When I signed up for OVO the estimated monthly direct debit was substantially higher than I was paying before and now I find I am over £400 in credit.

How do I get a refund of the credit and adjust my monthly payment?

Thank you.

I've found what to do regarding refund of credit, but I am still confused as to meter readings.

I submitted meter readings in time and they appear on my statement, yet estimated readings were used for the statement calculation.

Why?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hey @Markee - please check out the 'best answer' at the top of this page for more information. ^Emily

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)
    Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close