Solved

I'm PAYG with Boost- My top up key isn't working, how do I get a replacement?

• 12 October 2022
  • 64 replies

Show first post

64 replies

Can any one help me to top up my gas and electric via phone. As I'm running out. Had this problem since day one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Annie7 ,

Both the OVO and Boost Live Chats are open right now. If you’re having trouble topping-up, I’d strongly recommend getting in touch ASAP.

OVO: Via the OVO Top-Up App

Boost: https://boostpower.co.uk 

I’ve come back from the school run to find that the electricity ran out last night. I have then taken the key card to top up from the shop and have sadly managed to lose it on my way to the shop. I have no power at the moment and have been on hold for nearly two hours after one customer service agent picked my call and proceeded to pretend, they couldn’t hear me.

My work laptop has 20mins to go.

How do I get a replacement key card asap? I have tried the web chat several times but apparently, they’re not accepting new messages.

This is the poorest service I have ever come across for something that is an emergency situation.

Any pointers would be very welcomed. I am desperate, 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @TerriblyServiced ,

You’ll definitely need the Support Team for this one I’m afraid. Getting a TAG Code from them is the fastest way to get a new key.

Please post photos of your meters though, I may have more options for you.

Why can't I get a definitive answer to the shops that actually supply replacement keys for my heritage meter in my local area?

Userlevel 7

Hey @Santiace2004,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community,

Are you referring to a top up card for a Boost pay as you go meter?

It says on the Boost Energy website:

*You can get a new electric meter key from any PayPoint or Payzone that stocks Eon or NPower keys (the type we use). You can only get a new gas card from a PayPoint, sorry.

But before you go, please give us a ring to let us know you’re going to get a new key. We’ll then call or email you within an hour to give you an 8-digit ‘TAG’ code.*

I’d advise searching online for PayPoint near me.

Hope this helps. 

How do we order a new key for the prepayment meter. This one is causing problems and doesn't always top up at the counter when prompted. Suspect it's just an age thing and we need a new key.

Howdy @Tunny165 ,

Sure thing. Please let the Support Team know about this and ask them to generate a TAG Code. Once you have it, please wait for one hour and then pop down to any PayPoint shop. When you get there, ask the shopkeeper for a new electric key and give them the TAG Code so that they can program the new key for you. Don’t top-up yet!!!

After that, please go straight home and pop the new key in the meter and follow the instructions on screen. Do not remove it until the meter confirms the key is active. Once you’ve done that, feel free to head back to the shop to top-up as normal.

Just so you know, the old key will be disabled and blocked as part of this process. Please make sure to drain all credit off of it before you request a TAG Code!

Alternatively, if you’ve got plenty of credit, the Support Team can post you a new key that’ll already be programmed. Whichever works for you. :)

My key seems to be broken, I topped up £250 but it wouldn’t refresh when put back in (called and confirmed it went through with Payzone)

I have been on hold for hours every day since Sunday now (3days). I am on hold and then the call hangs up after an hour. I am nearly out of electricity and I have lots of things dependent on the electricity running. I am a pharmacy student and have multiple courseworks due this week. 

Meanwhile, I am number 430 on the web chat. I am running out of options and time. The amount of stress this has caused is unbearable. If anyone knows what I can do please help.  

Hey @Santiace2004,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community,

Are you referring to a top up card for a Boost pay as you go meter?

It says on the Boost Energy website:

*You can get a new electric meter key from any PayPoint or Payzone that stocks Eon or NPower keys (the type we use). You can only get a new gas card from a PayPoint, sorry.

But before you go, please give us a ring to let us know you’re going to get a new key. We’ll then call or email you within an hour to give you an 8-digit ‘TAG’ code.*

I’d advise searching online for PayPoint near me.

Hope this helps. 

I topped up £250 but it wouldn’t show when I put the key back into the meter. I called and confirmed with pay zone that the transaction definitely went through. 

I have been trying to get a replacement key for 3 days now as it must be faulty. I have been on hold every day. Every time the call is ended when I get to 1hr on hold. I have been waiting hours in a queue on the web chat too. I don’t know what I’m supposed to do. I’ve emailed, tweeted, everything I can thing. 

i am nearly out of electricity. I am a pharmacy student and I rely on electricity for multiple courseworks due this week. This stress is unbearable. Please help

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @shinelbell ,

I have flagged your post for attention by the forum moderators. They may be able to advise on your options.

I know it might not solve your current issue, but have you considered moving over to OVO Pay Monthly perhaps? It might help prevent an issue like this from happening again.

Userlevel 7

Hey @shinelbell,

I’m really sorry to hear this,

I’ve found this emergency number for Boost Energy 0800 358 3523. 

I appreciate the wait times must be frustrating but you’ll need to speak to support so they can assist you. 

@Blastoise186 made a good point, it might be worth switching to pay monthly, so you don’t have to top up.

Have you got the Boost App? You can use the app to top up.

Hope this helps.

I use the boost app for PAYG gas and electric. I have never had an issue until being notified of the system being updated but now the app won’t accept my gas payment. I have never been on the emergency gas and have always topped up weekly from day one! Whats the problem as my gas will hit emergency and go off very soon!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @HarleyQuinn ,

You can still top-up over the phone on 0330 102 7517. Or you can use the barcode in the app to top-up at any PayPoint shop. This is a PayPoint issue, so you can get help via live chat within the app.

Thanks Ive sorted it now. I apparently needed a new account number for the gas after the updates as it couldn’t be recognised using any of the payment methods. 

Hi I'm unable to top my gas up via the boost app and paypoint been trying to ring boost all day and I'm just getting music currently on 55 mins again listening to music, Web chat was no help I have a disabled child in the house 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Kelly22 ,

Have you tried the chat within the app by any chance? If not, it might be worth a go. Otherwise, don’t give up on the phones.

I’ll be here if you need me.

I am elderly and lost my ovo gas card. No gas. Can't get through to them for 3 hours now

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Bevince ,

Try Live Chat as it might be faster. Are you with Boost perhaps?

I lost my ovo card. I have no gas. I am elderly. Been waiting on the phone for over 3 hours now

Userlevel 7

Hey @Bevince,

I’m really sorry to hear this,

Unfortunately you’ll need to speak to Boost Energy directly in order to get a new card and back onto supply. Unless you have a smart meter and can top up using the App? 

When you get through to Boost I’d strongly advise talking to them about switching to pay monthly as you’ve mentioned you’re elderly. It means you won’t have to worry about topping up, and will have a constant supply.

Hope this helps. 

What do you do with a payment code 

I have never used the top up by telephone before 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Paulinelal ,

The answer depends on your meter type. Can you post photos of the meters please?

Userlevel 7

Hey @Paulinelal,

I’ve found some resources on the Boost Energy website that might be helpful to you:

How to add credit manually to a smart meter

How do I get emergency credit 

How do I top up with my new key or card

You can now contact Boost through web messenger if you have any questions.

Hope this helps. 

Can anyone please help, we had a new smart meter installed 4 weeks ago, so far it’s been fine but Monday night I topped up online for £50 but it hasn’t registered on our meter. I managed to get through to someone (after 40 minutes on hold) they told me to type in the code manually on my meter using the A and B buttons but the code was rejected, topped up again with £5 just to see and the same problem “rejected”.

Called the helpline last night and after 50 minutes was cut off, called again today (40 minutes on hold) but was told because I have power they can’t help me as I’m not a priority. I appreciate there are people with no power and they must come first but I am down to £9 credit….it’s nearly Christmas and I have no other way to top up my electric….PLEASE can anyone help? I’m so stressed out with this, we’ve only had it a month.

Please help if you can.

Thank you

Gez

I have not come across this before but I suggest you keep a record of the time, date and amount when you topped up, so that if you think your bill is wrong when you receive it, you can challenge with factual data and it can be easily checked.  Good luck.