Solved

I'm PAYG with Boost- My top up key isn't working, how do I get a replacement?

• 12 October 2022
  • 64 replies

How do we order a new key for the prepayment meter. This one is causing problems and doesn't always top up at the counter when prompted. Suspect it's just an age thing and we need a new key.

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 12 October 2022, 14:29

View original

64 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 13/09/23 by Abby_OVO

Howdy @Tunny165 ,

Sure thing. Please let the Support Team know about this and ask them to generate a TAG Code. Once you have it, please wait for one hour and then pop down to any PayPoint shop. When you get there, ask the shopkeeper for a new electric key and give them the TAG Code so that they can program the new key for you. Don’t top-up yet!!!

After that, please go straight home and pop the new key in the meter and follow the instructions on screen. Do not remove it until the meter confirms the key is active. Once you’ve done that, feel free to head back to the shop to top-up as normal.

Just so you know, the old key will be disabled and blocked as part of this process. Please make sure to drain all credit off of it before you request a TAG Code!

Alternatively, if you’ve got plenty of credit, the Support Team can post you a new key that’ll already be programmed. Whichever works for you. :)

You can contact the Boost team here: https://www.boostpower.co.uk/help/ or on 0330 102 7517 Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm or Saturday, 9am to 2pm.

Hi am pierdut cardul Boost pentru gas,imi trebuie unul nou si cel anterior trebuie anulat?!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Note: User is Romanian. Post translates as:

lost card
Hi, I lost my Boost card for gas, I need a new one and the previous one must be cancelled?!

traducere in romana

Bun venit pe forumul OVO. De obicei vorbim doar engleză aici, așa că folosesc Google Translate pentru a vă ajuta.

Numele meu este Blastoise186 și sunt unul dintre voluntarii forumului care ajută aici. Eu nu lucrez pentru OVO sau Boost, dar am încredere că voi ajuta cu întrebări ca aceasta.

Pentru a obține un nou card de benzină, contactați Boost. Se vor întoarce dimineața și poți folosi chatul live la https://boostpower.co.uk. Este butonul galben din colțul din dreapta jos și va trebui să tastați cuvântul „Agent” în caseta de chat în engleză pentru a vorbi cu cineva. De asemenea, puteți suna Boost la 0330 102 7517 dimineața.

Veți avea nevoie de un cod TAG, pe care vi-l pot oferi serviciile pentru clienți. Odată ce aveți acest cod, așteptați o oră, apoi accesați orice magazin PayPoint.

Dați codul TAG comerciantului și cereți un nou card de benzină. Ei vor programa cardul pentru tine folosind mașina lor. Odată ce este făcut, vă vor oferi noul card. Nu încărcați încă, sau puteți pierde creditul de pe card în pasul următor.

Vă rugăm să luați noul card acasă și să îl introduceți în contorul de gaz timp de două minute. Va trebui să urmați instrucțiunile de pe ecran, ceea ce înseamnă, de obicei, să apăsați butonul A atunci când contorul vă spune.

După ce noul card de gaz este înregistrat în contorul de gaz, îl veți putea folosi imediat. Dacă trebuie să reîncărcați, nu ezitați să vă întoarceți la magazin când sunteți gata.

Ca să știi, vechiul card de benzină va fi anulat și blocat odată ce vei înregistra noul card de benzină la contorul de gaz. Dacă îl găsiți din nou pe cel vechi, vă rugăm să nu încercați să îl utilizați, deoarece nu va mai funcționa.

Dacă aveți probleme, nu ezitați să răspundeți la acest subiect de forum din nou, folosind caseta de comentarii de mai jos. Voi urmări acest subiect și voi fi aici dacă aveți nevoie de mine. Dacă vă este mai ușor să folosiți limba maternă, româna, vă rugăm să nu ezitați să o faceți și o voi traduce din nou.

Mulțumiri!

English translation:

Welcome to the OVO Forum. We only usually speak English here, so I'm using Google Translate to help you out.

My name is Blastoise186 and I'm one of the forum volunteers who helps out here. I don't work for OVO or Boost myself, but I am trusted to help with questions like this one.

To get a new gas card, please get in touch with Boost. They'll be back in the morning and you can use the Live Chat at https://boostpower.co.uk . It's the yellow button in the bottom right corner and you will need to type the word "Agent" into the chat box in English to speak to someone. You can also call Boost on 0330 102 7517 in the morning.

You will need a TAG Code, which customer services can give you. Once you have this code, please wait for one hour, then go to any PayPoint Shop.

Give the TAG Code to the shopkeeper and ask for a new gas card. They will program the card for you using their machine. Once that is done, they will give you the new card. Do not top up yet, or you may lose the credit on the card in the next step.

Please take the new card home and insert it into the gas meter for two minutes. You will need to follow the instructions on the screen, which usually means pressing the A Button when the meter tells you to.

After the new gas card is registered in the gas meter, you will be able to use it straight away. If you need to top-up, feel free to go back to the shop when you are ready.

Just so you know, the old gas card will be cancelled and blocked once you register the new gas card with the gas meter. If you ever find the old one again, please don't try to use it as it won't work anymore.

If you have any problems, please feel free to reply to this forum thread again, using the comment box below. I will be watching this thread and will be here if you need me. If you find it easier to use your native language Romanian, please feel free to do so and I will translate it again.

Thanks!

I've topped up my electricity key token this evening, came home and tried to put the money on my meter and the meter just accepts the token but doesn't top up the credit to the meter. I have a disabled daughter and I dont know what we would do it the electric goes. What should I do? Ive been back to the shop and they said it definitely credited to the key!! Help!!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Lauren Jones ,

It sounds like no credit was added to the key. If your power goes off and you need it back on urgently, call 105.

I’d probably also recommend having the key replaced, just to be safe.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Lauren Jones,

Sorry for the issues you’re having. 

I’d call Boost about this, as @Blastoise186 said it may be the key needs replacing. 

If you are not currently on the Priority Services Register I'd advise signing up. You also can request to switch to OVO so that you can pay monthly, instead of having the worry of topping up and going off supply. 

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Also, if you keep having this problem even with a new key, I’d recommend getting the meter replaced. You’ll be upgraded to Smart Meters if you do that, so you wouldn’t have to worry about a key getting lost or failing to recharge properly.

Help please. I always topnup £80 on my electric meter (by key) each month. I have done this for years. A month ago Ivtoppedbup but the meter would not accept the credit, the balance didn't change. I had £108 on the meter but was building up a credit for the winter.

After a couple of hours on the phone I couldn't get answers so we swapped to online chat - I was told that you cannot top up more than £40 on a key, (which is obviously incorrect) and that the only option was to wait for the electric to run out, and then the meter "might" accept the £80 on the key. I have run out now, and the meter will not accept the credit - of course now I have no electric, their call centre is shut. What can I do? Do they not have an emergency response or 24 hour number?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Adam1010 ,

I’m Blastoise186 and I’m one of the OVO Forum volunteers. I don’t work for OVO so I can’t make changes myself.

What is the error code or error message you get on the meter when you insert the electric key? If you can tell me what happens, I can try to advise.

In the meantime, you should try to activate Emergency Credit to get the supply back on.

Hi thanks. There ia no error code, the balance just didn't change. I went back to the shop and they confirmed the payment had gone on. OVO confirmed on the chat that I had £80 credit on the key registered to that account. But they said I couldn't top up until the meter ran out, as £80 is too much.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You’ve still got another hour left before Live Chat closes at https://www.boostpower.co.uk/

I’d recommend trying it again. You might need an emergency meter exchange

By the way, yes, the emergency £5 credit has activated, it is ticking down pretty fast, and will go out roughly in the middle of the night.

Ok I'll try that thankyou

The problem I always seem to have

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ahh… I can reproduce that as well. I will report this to the moderators and ask for it to be looked into.

Do you need the power back on urgently? Especially if you’re on the Priority Services Register, try calling 105. Your DNO might be able to help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Also, try 0800 358 3523

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

While I’m at it, I strongly recommend you immediately shut down anything that’s not important. That should slow down the EC drain.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Adam1010,

Really sorry to hear of the issues you’re having… Is this sorted now?

Boost are open today until 6pm. 

Hi Emmanuelle. We have £2 left on the emergency credit - it still won't accept the credit on the key, so we are waiting for it to run out. We need some advice to explain how to get the credit from the key to the meter

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You should just be able to put the key in the meter and follow the instructions on-screen. Does it not react at all?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Once you run out of credit and go off-supply, any response gets upgraded to emergency with a four hour response time. If either your key or the meter is found to be faulty (which is sounding likely!) you won’t be charged a penny for the engineer visit.

I suspect the meter probably is misbehaving, so it’d likely result in an Emergency Meter Exchange (EMEX). You’ll probably get smart meters as a result.

As for the credit on the key, if an EMEX goes ahead I’d recommend talking to Boost about getting a refund. They’ll figure something out with you about that.

Ok. Thank you very much for your help. Yes there is no response at all on the meter. We will know soon!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries.

Yup, sounds like it’s dead then. Sometimes there’s tricks an engineer can do to get it going again without needing to swap it out, but if those fail the only fix is to replace it.

Let us know how you get on!

It's been swapped out now. Thanks for your help 👍🏻