Solved

Why do I have very high gas usage for a small flat single bed? How can I check if it's a faulty meter?

Show first post

64 replies

I’ve lived in my two bed flat for two years and my gas meter readings have always been around £10-£15 with no dramatic variation between summer and winter. 

Over the past two months I received giant gas bills with no change in our living styles. It doesn’t add up with the fact nothing has changed in the way we use gas. The only thing I can think of is whether there’s been a leak or something like that. My understanding is that our gas usage is only for hot water. We take around 3/4 showers a day. 

i was really surprised by the bills as  on our home monitor there’s been no change to our daily usage. I checked our home monitors and nothing makes sense. The amounts are completely different from the bills. 

I don’t believe this makes any sense, and I can’t understand how our gas usage has increased that much without our boiler blowing up or something unusual like a leak. When I spoke on the phone to OVO they were unhelpful and said my gas usage has just gone up (it hasn’t) so I just don’t understand what’s happened. Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Im happy to pay for energy I have used, however im worried if this isn’t incorrect and I’ve actually used this gas (which seams unlikely) that I’ve got a leak or something similar. How can one thing tell me we owe £15 and the other bill say we owe over £100!?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Linge ,

I’m Blastoise186 and I’m one of the forum volunteers here. I can try to help with this one but as I don’t have the ability to access your account I can’t make any changes.

Firstly, if there’s been a gas leak I’m pretty sure you’d smell it very quickly - there’s some kind of chemical or something that gets injected into gas supplies so that it gives off a really foul smell in the event of a leak. I don’t know what it is that they use, but trust me. You would definitely notice it if it leaked.

Could you check Meter Info on the IHD and then find the Meter Reading in there please? Once you have it, use the app and go to Account > Meter Readings to see if it matches up within a reasonable margin. Let me know what you find from there and I’ll see what I can suggest next.

Also, please show me screenshots of the meter readings in the app too, if that’s OK!

Userlevel 7

Hi @Linge and thanks for posting this. 

Gas emergency

If you can smell gas or think you have a gas leak: 

• Do open doors and windows to let the gas escape
  • Do check your gas appliances are switched off
  • Do call the 24 hour National Gas Emergency hotline on 0800 111 999
  • Do turn your gas off at the isolation switch (if you know where it is), then wait outside, and let your neighbours know.
  • Don't switch lights on or off, use doorbells, mobile phones or use any electrical switches.
  • Don't smoke, light a match or use any other kind of naked flame.
  • Don't go back into your home until you’ve got the all-clear.

If you're worried fumes containing carbon monoxide are escaping from a gas appliance, call the 24 hour National Gas Emergency hotline on 0800 111 999. For further information about gas safety in the home check out our guide here

If you’re happy that it’s not a leak, I’d suggest you have a look at this topic which outlines ways to check your meter for anything odd:

Lastly as blastoise mentioned, I’d recommend you review the meter readings we have on your online account here, make sure they’re showing as smart readings and they match with what’s on the meter itself:

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/electricity

Hi @Blastoise186  and @Tim_OVO . Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it, this has really been keeping me up at night!

I moved suppliers last month, and as a result I can only see meter readings on IHD from this month, nothing from the previous billing. Please let me know if it would still be helpful to show these?

When I got my smart meter installed, the person installing it flagged that the gas meter is quite far away from my flat which may cause difficulties. It has gone out of signal quite a few times, and I think that might be what the issue is here. Do you think this is an issue / should I (or can I?) get it removed if it’s not connecting properly?

From looking at my bills, it looks as though the Gas bills are based on estimate readings (and potentially also non-estimate readings).

On my IHD I only use around £0.60 of gas a day. This doesn’t seem to change much between summer and winter. 

In the photo below you can see the gas bill prior to the big increase.

In my next bill, the difference is huge.

What could have happened? There might be a chance that the smart meter wasn’t collecting data properly throughout the year, and I’m playing catch up with the amount of gas we use. However, my July bill was also really big.

Is this truly the amount of gas I’m using, and why has it gone up from £9 to £100/£200 over the past month? Should I expect to be paying this from now on?

My gas bill is also now much higher than my elec bill. But elec is more expensive… 

Again, thank you so much for your help.

Laura

I have just received my last gas bill from Ovo and its gone through the roof!! We live in a small 2 bedroom semi and our gas usage hasn’t changed for over two years. There’s been a LARGE step change in the smart meter readings that don’t make any sense.

We have just had the hottest month ever recorded in the UK, we only use the gas for hot water.

trying to get hold of Ovo is impossible.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Linge and @Alf and thanks for the info you’re posting about this. 

Two scenarios here that might well have different solutions or advice. But both will be made a lot simpler with accurate meter readings on your account. @Linge it looks like your smart meter isn’t sending us your readings. You can diagnose any issues with the smart meters here:

SMETS1 Secure Smart Meter Health Check guide - here

SMETS2 Smart Meter Health Check guide - here

@Alf and @Linge you can check if we have regular smart meter readings here:

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/electricity

You can submit your readings here:

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings

That way you’ll know any charges on your account are correct, as long as the prices we’re charging your usage to are correct, which you can check here:

https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan

Hope that helps,
Tim

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Sorry about this, but it looks like some of your comments were initially swallowed by the spam filter. They’ve been approved and released now by a moderator.

When I got my smart meter installed, the person installing it flagged that the gas meter is quite far away from my flat which may cause difficulties. It has gone out of signal quite a few times, and I think that might be what the issue is here. Do you think this is an issue / should I (or can I?) get it removed if it’s not connecting properly?

This is quite common in blocks of flats and larger properties. I wouldn’t recommend removal and you usually can’t request it anyway. Once smart meters are installed, you’re committed to keeping them. However… New tech is coming in the near future that should help solve this problem. Watch this space. :)

I live on my own just lost my husband 9 weeks ago, I live in a one bedroom house what has my bill nearly doubled?, any ideas please.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Good afternoon @Sarah54 ,

Firstly, I’m sorry for your loss. As one of the OVO Forum Volunteers, I can’t access the account myself, but I’ll do my best to try and give you some advice.

I’ll need to ask you a few questions, in order to help you out more easily. Can I ask what tariff you’re on please, and what type of meters you have?

Hello, I don’t know what tarrif I am on but I have a smart meter?, I have called this morning but I cannot understand the price increase?, I guess that’s the world we are now living in?.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’s ok. Do you know if you have a fixed rate, or variable rate tariff? You can check any bill to find out.

Hi it’s a variable rate?.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Perfect, thanks. That tells me you’re on the price capped Simpler Energy tariff. I just wanted to let you know that the prices for this tariff will increase from the 1st October and I think OVO has started to adjust Direct Debits now to help prevent it being as much of a shock later.

What were you paying before, and what are you paying now? I know there’s a fair few forum volunteers here who are very good at helping to figure out if something doesn’t look right.

Hi I was £186 a month but from next month they want £261 I can’t afford it and don’t know what to do?.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I see. Thanks for the information.

I think the best thing to do would be to have a chat with OVO directly as they’ll have options to help you out. My guide below also has links to several resources in case you find them useful.

The best number to call for this issue would be 0800 069 9831. The team there will be able to try and work out your options and a plan with you that suits your needs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

In case it helps, the forum moderators have also recently posted some advice on another thread. I’ve brought it over here for you so that it’s easier to find.

Hi everyone,

This is a common discussion point on the forum and elsewhere I’m sure. I want to offer some help wherever I can.

Direct Debits for customers on the variable plan, Simpler, factor in October’s price rises but not any other. We use your future annual consumption figure and these prices to work out a payment amount. You can check your future annual consumption and prices here: https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan - it’s your choice when on Simpler to pay on receipt of the bills if you prefer. But due to slightly higher prices and the lack of automation and spiky winter payments, I’d only recommend this if you have no faith in our prediction and you think you’re over paying. Even then, you’ll have credit which you can have refunded, or you may even get interest on this.

OVO has created some fantastic resources so customers know what support is available to them. 

Top 13 ways to save electricity at home and reduce your bills

Price rises: we're here to support you

Here’s the latest information on rising energy prices, and how we can help 

Energy Bills Support Scheme

This page has all the information that we and our call centre team have on the Energy Bills Support Scheme right now. 

Ways to get financial support

If you’re struggling financially or you’re worried about your energy bills, we’re here to support you. Find out about the different ways we can help here.

Hope this helps,

Tim

Thankyou 

Badge +1

I’m sorry about your loss,  Dealing with the death of a family member is always trying, and often the surviving family have a huge amount to deal with. An escalating energy direct debit is therefore very unwelcome.

The thing to really remember about the fixed direct debit system is that while the prices are not negotiable, the amount of energy that you use is entirely in your own control.  If you use less energy your bills will be lower than they would otherwise, if you use more the bills will be higher.

Remember, your Direct Debit is not your bill.  You will probably get a statement monthly showing you what has been applied to your account.  If your accumulated  Direct Debit proves to be greater than your bills over time you will build up a credit.  In normal circumstances, your direct debit might then decrease.  However in these exceptional times prices are rising fast and thus direct debits are only moving up.

It remains the case that reducing your energy consumption is the only certain way to limit your energy costs.  While the government will help, it might fall short of people’s expectation. Taking control oneself is in my view the no 1 priority.

Hi, yes we are a large family 5 of us at home and it's an old house . 

I work from home and don't use the heating unless it's evening or weekend and very cold or we haven't got coal. 

The hot water is on for 2 hours in the morning to allow for normal things . 

It's on again from 4-6 that's it . 

We have a gas hob. Used about six times a day for short periods   

Apparently we use more than 40% extra gas than an average family . 

I think we are paying for neighbours useage as it was ok before new lines were put in . 

According to our meters we have used on average 125 gas/electric each month with most being electric due to so many of us working from home . We built up nearly 800 credit suggesting we don't use as much as has been costed. 

So, my question is - if our useage for gas is high and the heating is rarely used - never above 18 degrees what on earth do other people do?  Hot water is essential  should we not wash ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Annoyedaswell a couple of things to clarify so we can picture the scene… assuming  you use gas to heat your water… you’re saying you hardly use heating, so assuming you mean gas for that too… also assuming £125 per month, but what’s your kWh cost ? the 40% figure may just suggest you’re a bigger than average family ! What makes you think you’re paying for the neighbour’s energy ??? What are the ‘new lines’?

The new gas pipes were put in years ago but since then our bills have been ridiculous . One year EDF sent us a bill for 13500k 

We are apparently on the cheapest tarrif . 

I just wondered what other people do really, 

We can have less hot showers but the boys work in mechanics are look like coal miners when they come home 😂

Should we be using the camping stove to boil veg or the microwave ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

What units are you referring to? 13500k ? Do you mean £13500 ?! What is your tariff?

It was EDF who sent us a bill for 3 months for 13.5k ..We didn't pay it . 

OVO say we are on the cheapest tarrif . 

All I wondered was :

How long does everyone else have their hot water on for and how much do they cook. That's it really . Are we heavy users or do OVO think we are going to be heavy users .

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Ok.. I’m not the one to compare to as I heat the hot water with electricity (heat pump now but immersion in the past), and there are only two of us at home.

However it sounds like you have a hot water tank so it’s possible that it could do with better insulation. Also I used to have the immersion on for ages as I had no idea how hot the water was inside it. With my new system there’s a temperature sensor so I can see all the time, and the water isn’t nearly as hot as it used to be. It’s possible that you could turn down your boiler to reduce the hot water temp. That would make the boiler run more efficiently too. Do you run out of hot water after all the showers ?

Any help ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Annoyedaswell

Look on this page on the website not the app

https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan

Here is mine for example

The Future Annual Consumption figures are what OVO think you will use over a year 

What do they say for gas and electric?