Solved

Why am I still getting charged for gas? - My faulty gas meter was removed!

Show first post

160 replies

Userlevel 6

Hey @caroline Rose 

Sorry to hear those are still being sent out to you.

I understand how frustrating it must be when you are told something will happen, like place the account on hold, and it doesn’t seem to happen. I hope that they do help resolve everything for you, keep us updated with how you get on with this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Abby 

it’s letters including threatening red letters texts and emails all the time fed up with it now if the ombudsman can’t help me my next step will be the solicitors

Hi @caroline Rose

Some posters have reported some success with other issues writing to the OVO CEO

https://company.ovo.com/team/3934/

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Time for an update, although it's more of a "no update". The ombudsman upheld my complaint against OVO and gave the company 28 days to comply with the ruling. The ruling was to refund the standing charges that have been applied since our gas meter was removed, close our account and give us a modest amount of compensation. The 28 days ran out yesterday and........ nothing. No response from OVO.

I work in a regulated industry. When we make mistakes that harm customers we have to fix them or there are penalties (fines and other penalties). But penalties are only part of the reason we fix the problems. We also do it because it's the right thing to do. Our company culture is about doing the right thing for our customers. OVO's culture appears to be about screwing the customer over and ignoring any problems even when the regulator is pointing them out and telling the company to fix them.

I would be embarrassed to work for a company that behaves like this.

It appears that there's nothing I can do but wait for the ombudsman and OVO to sort out the problem. In the meantime I'm contacting The Guardian as maybe some media exposure will help OVO treat customers a bit better.

Hi M.isterW

if you want any back up if you go to the media I will stand up with you as I am sick of the way OVO are treating their customers, not a company I will ever use again or recommend in the future 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@M.isterW @caroline Rose

May be worth an email to OFGEM, highlighting the specifics of your cases to the team undertaking this compliance investigation into OVO that was announced this week on the 23rd May

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications/investigation-ovo-and-its-compliance-its-obligations-under-gas-and-electricity-supply-licences-slcs-03-264-265-27-27a-and-281a

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Time for an update, although it's more of a "no update". The ombudsman upheld my complaint against OVO and gave the company 28 days to comply with the ruling. The ruling was to refund the standing charges that have been applied since our gas meter was removed, close our account and give us a modest amount of compensation. The 28 days ran out yesterday and........ nothing. No response from OVO.

I work in a regulated industry. When we make mistakes that harm customers we have to fix them or there are penalties (fines and other penalties). But penalties are only part of the reason we fix the problems. We also do it because it's the right thing to do. Our company culture is about doing the right thing for our customers. OVO's culture appears to be about screwing the customer over and ignoring any problems even when the regulator is pointing them out and telling the company to fix them.

I would be embarrassed to work for a company that behaves like this.

It appears that there's nothing I can do but wait for the ombudsman and OVO to sort out the problem. In the meantime I'm contacting The Guardian as maybe some media exposure will help OVO treat customers a bit better.

A bit of info taken from MoneySavingExpert in case there is anything useful 

---

Ombudsman Services has told MoneySavingExpert that in Energy, Communications and also for the Consumer Ombudsman (a voluntary scheme), the consumer can enforce its decisions in court because member firms sign a deed poll with Ombudsman Service, and this contract confers 
potential rights to consumers which can be enforced in English courts in terms of the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999. Ombudsman Services also said this “specifically states that these rights to enforcement cover any financial award made and/or any other remedy […] in the 
ombudsman’s decision.”

Ombudsman Services also said that, technically, it can enforce its own decisions in the courts – but it has never done this (preferring to use other routes such as escalating the issue to the regulator or trade body, or using its own expulsion process which “would usually result in the remedy being implemented”.

In addition, Ombudsman Services noted its Remedy Implementation Policy which is specific to energy. Under this policy, companies that do not implement the remedy are charged additional 
fees. After 57 days, Ombudsman Services tells the consumer that they can open a new complaint to address the failed implementation of the original remedy. Ombudsman Services will also 
tell the consumer that the Deed Poll between Ombudsman Services and the energy company entitles the consumer “to pursue the energy company through court”. The policy also states that Ombudsman Services offers financial support to do this, and may also notify the regulator.

However, in energy, Ombudsman Services confirmed that “… the legislation does not specifically state that suppliers must comply with the redress scheme’s decisions; rather that Ofgem must ensure that the scheme’s own arrangements ensure its decisions can be enforced.”

Similarly, Ombudsman Services said that “… for the Consumer Ombudsman, the enforceability of decisions must come from the scheme’s own arrangements with participating companies (in this 
case the Deed Poll).” What the consumer is relying on here is the Deed Poll contract between Ombudsman Services and the business.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Another update…

OVO have complied with the ombudsman ruling and have refunded all of the gas charges from April 2022. However, the day after the refund was sent all the gas standing charges reappeared on my account. That means my account is now showing that I owe about £115.

I managed to get through to the person in the complaints department who dealt with my complaint. They admitted that OVO are having problems getting their system to recognise that a gas supply has been closed off. When they attempt to close an account because a gas meter has been removed the system reopens it.

I've been told that they are working on fixing the problem but I'm not getting my hopes up. Despite reassurances I'm not convinced that OVO won't start chasing me for the £115 on my account.

Userlevel 3

Hi @M.isterW 

This is really appalling performance from OVO Energy.! I must have been really lucky that they somehow managed to get my situation sorted, but mine was much the same as yours, so surely if they can do it for one customer that must indicate to them the way to sort it out for all?  For a major energy company to be held to ransom by its own computer system is truly pathetic. 

Well, I am so surprised, today I logged onto my OVO. App account & unbelievably they seem to have rectified the issue of taking Gas Standing Charges even though my meter was removed in April 2022, 🙌 hurrah, let’s hope that this fiasco is now finally over, I’m so pleased, hope other people find the same

Userlevel 6

Hey @LAB18 

Glad to hear that’s finally been resolved - all be the lengthy time process of the team doing so.

Feel free to pop back any time with any questions.🙂