Solved

High estimated usage - will I be refunded?

Hi,

I received my first gas and electricity bill last week, which was based on estimates since I had only provided a reading when I moved in. However, after realising I needed to submit monthly readings, I submitted the readings straight away and realised I was overcharged. In that month, I spent less energy than what was actually estimated.

Will the amount I was charged for be adjust now that the real usage can be calculated? How will I be refunded for that?

Many thanks for your help!

Laura
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 26 October 2020, 16:02

Updated in 26/10/20:

The info below has been taken from this topic on estimated annual consumption (EAC), projected usage and estimates. It will explain why an EAC is used to estimate usage in the absence of actual readings. 

If your readings are being estimated badly, it might be due to a lack of readings, and an out of date or wrong EAC. Reach out to our Support team to get this EAC figure checked, sort a refund, submit a reading, and consider getting a smart meter fitted! You can do a lot of that on your online account before calling as well

What is an EAC?

EAC stands for Estimated Annual Consumption. We (and the rest of the industry) are able to use this figure to forecast the energy usage at a property over the next 12 months.

How do we use an EAC?

• Sometimes to Calculate your Direct Debit (see ‘Usage projection’ for more info)
  • Estimating readings when we have no 'actual' readings
  • Estimating consumption when a meter is faulty

We don't always use EAC to predict a member's usage - as stated below, EAC is only used for supplies where you don’t have a smart meter and there's no actual readings in the past 12 months.

How do we update an EAC?

Whenever a new reading is submitted to industry, a new EAC is calculated and sent to us to use.

If your EAC is incorrect, you should keep sending us regular readings. As the EAC is calculated based on the entire reading history of an electricity supply (MPAN), submitting regular readings over a period of time will gradually change the EAC until it matches the member's usage. The better alternative is to get a smart meter!

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @Laura,

Welcome to the Forum :)

I'm unsure if you realise that the OVO Forum is responded to by fellow customers, rather than OVO Customer Support.

However, I can answer your question...

The actual readings you've just submitted will be used to calculate the next bill. Since this is cumulative, it will automatically adjust for the previous high estimates. You need do nothing more.

You don't say if you are paying by Direct Debit, nor when your contract started. If you fill in these details on your Forum Profile it helps us to give more accurate responses. But feel free to post here again if you'd like clarification of the billing process.
I appear to have been over-charged for my gas this month (October) Under my usage it says around £15 but I've been charged about £44 for gas the past month. This is probably just an error as £44 is more than double what we've ever had to pay for gas. How can I get this rectified?
Userlevel 6
Hi @elliotrussell,

I've moved your question onto this topic about gas bills.

Sounds like you might have been billed to estimated readings. Have a look at @Transparent's answer above for more information about how to get this corrected.

Cheers,
Nancy

two quarters and two estimates for a vulnerable person were three times the quarterly average bill. Why? 

Userlevel 7

Hi @GaryT and thanks for posting. 

Can you help us all out here and give a little more info about this? 

Are you with SSE? Do you not have a smart meter so you need to submit readings manually? If so, when did you last submit a reading?

That might be all we need to offer some suggestions as to what’s happened here… hopefully! 

Hi

yes the customer is with SSE

No smart meter she is over 85 and doesn’t understand them 

I made contact on their behalf when the estimate was over £1000 in the spring with a meter reading and the estimate in the autumn was also over £1000 - the revised actual bill was just over £150. I cannot see any reason why the algorithm that does the calculation is set so unbelievably high.  There is no justification and if it happens again the perhaps the energy ombudsman will be interested in this form of bullying profiteering. 

It is extremely distressing for old people to manage finances without seeing and then dealing with this and I am sure this person has not been singled out by your billing methodology. 

Perhaps  you can provide the total number of OVO group estimated readings that are subsequently reduced by more than 30% please

Userlevel 7

Thanks for this info, @GaryT 

Now that I have this, I’ve been able to find an existing topic thread on the same query and move it over to this one. 

I’ll write a detailed response below and assigned it as the new best answer for anyone else who finds it.

:blush:

Userlevel 7

Updated in 26/10/20:

The info below has been taken from this topic on estimated annual consumption (EAC), projected usage and estimates. It will explain why an EAC is used to estimate usage in the absence of actual readings. 

If your readings are being estimated badly, it might be due to a lack of readings, and an out of date or wrong EAC. Reach out to our Support team to get this EAC figure checked, sort a refund, submit a reading, and consider getting a smart meter fitted! You can do a lot of that on your online account before calling as well

What is an EAC?

EAC stands for Estimated Annual Consumption. We (and the rest of the industry) are able to use this figure to forecast the energy usage at a property over the next 12 months.

How do we use an EAC?

• Sometimes to Calculate your Direct Debit (see ‘Usage projection’ for more info)
  • Estimating readings when we have no 'actual' readings
  • Estimating consumption when a meter is faulty

We don't always use EAC to predict a member's usage - as stated below, EAC is only used for supplies where you don’t have a smart meter and there's no actual readings in the past 12 months.

How do we update an EAC?

Whenever a new reading is submitted to industry, a new EAC is calculated and sent to us to use.

If your EAC is incorrect, you should keep sending us regular readings. As the EAC is calculated based on the entire reading history of an electricity supply (MPAN), submitting regular readings over a period of time will gradually change the EAC until it matches the member's usage. The better alternative is to get a smart meter!

i provided an accurate reading at the end of the previous quarter which was equally overestimated by you so the EAC should have been adjusted so I still do not consider that 5 times the consumption is a fair and reasonable estimate.

Userlevel 7

Very strange, @GaryT 

I would first request from our Support team that your (her) EAC is checked. I’ve seen errors which can lead to this figure being wrong, and then if we do use it to create estimates, these are wrong as well. 

If it looks inline (averages below), then this isn’t the cause and some digging needs to be done by the agent. Please keep us updated though….

What is the average EAC?

The current average EAC / AQ, as specified by Ofgem, is as follows:

• Electricity (P1): 3,100 kWh
  • Electricity (P2): 4,200 kWh
  • Gas: 12,000 kWh