Solved

I cancelled my switch to OVO within cool off but have been charged termination fees - how do I get them refunded?

• 30 July 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

Anyone else experienced theft by Ovo? £60 removed from my account as early exit fee even though I exited well within the 14 day cooling off period. Money still not refunded. This is theft - money being taken against the law. Hi

icon

Best answer by daveafc8 3 August 2022, 17:02

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7

I’m sorry to hear about that, @daveafc8 - it will be very clear on your account when your cooling off period ended and when the request to cancel was made. Perhaps worth another message to our Support team to chase it up?

We have community guidelines here around the language used. Posts which break the rules will be removed and the poster banned. Just a heads up to keep things constructive. :) 

Userlevel 1

Constructive? I cancelled within 1 day of your error. That is 13 days within the cooling off period so I am well within my rights to suggest this is against uk law. Another message? I have called four times and sent several e mails. What more do you want me to do? I feel as if I am having to beg to have what is rightfully mine returned to me. I am furious with the very poor service afforded to me by Ovo. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It’s more likely just an unintended bug in the system, and if it is then it can definitely be fixed.

The chat system at https://help.ovoenergy.com is your fastest option to request a refund for that early exit fee. It can get busy on Mondays, but if you wait until tomorrow or Wednesday, it’s much faster to get through then. If you keep sending emails, it may slow down the response even further because someone will need to review the entire email chain before they can do anything with it.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried the online chat on Saturday as soon as they opened and like the rest of the service team at Ovo was fobbed off - kept saying there was no one to look at my message irrespective of which topic I raised. Have spoken with customer service this morning and another case has been raised - second one for sane issue as apparently my refund failed last week. As I say I feel no one at Ovo listens and certainly no one seems to care 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @daveafc8

I am just a customer like you. Some of us try and help out with a few posts. 

Sorry to hear about your issue

If you haven't already it would be useful if you voted for this idea. 

Hopefully ovo will improve the process for future cancellations.

Userlevel 3

This has happened to me twice when changing tariffs within the cooling -down period. On both occasions, I phoned the support team, who were extremly polite and helpful, and it was dealt with within a very short time.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the reply. Into second week of waiting. Fingers crossed that Ovo will sort out their mistake soon. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks for the reply. Into second week of waiting. Fingers crossed that Ovo will sort out their mistake soon. 

Keep us posted here with how things go. If you get badly stuck, Tim might be able to help but it’s best to give the usual options a go first.

If you wish, you can also raise a complaint via https://ovoenergy.com/feedback 

Userlevel 1

Updated on 25/06/24 by Shads_OVO

it will be very clear on your account when your cooling off period ended and when the request to cancel was made. Perhaps worth another message to our Support team to chase it up?

If you haven't already it would be useful if you voted for this idea. 

Hopefully ovo will improve the process for future cancellations.

This has happened to me twice when changing tariffs within the cooling -down period. On both occasions, I phoned the support team, who were extremly polite and helpful, and it was dealt with within a very short time.

Update regarding refund of credit to my account- received an e mail from a *Edited by Mod* apologising on behalf of Ovo for charging exit fees and for the delay in responding to this error. £60 credit now back in my account as if this afternoon. Bit of a palaver ti get this refunded but all sorted out now. Thanks everyone