Solved

Smart meters working but not communicating with OVO - why?

Show first post

149 replies

I think you’ve got a SMETS1 EDMI there as well, so there’s actually more good news.

If you DO have what I think you’ve got, you’re eligible for a free upgrade to SMETS2 as EDMI has refused to migrate their S1 meters to DCC. :)

Ahh good to know! Will give them a phone and see thanks!

I meet the same problem. Have you called Ovo? I call them few months ago but they didn’t come.

Hello, yes I have called and also spoken to them via online chat multiple times. They have missed/cancelled 3 appointments on short notice so I am done with them.

Thank you for your reply! I will keep calling them. If you solve this problem could you tell me. If I solve this problem, I will also update here. I just worry that they will charge me wrong electric bills.

Yes I will let you know if it gets resolved! I am in the process of switching companies but I have still to receive a final bill from OVO so not sure how they will calculate it but I am not looking forward to it.

Userlevel 6

Hey @Rebeccapleasehelp 

If the team are unable to get an actual final meter reading, and have been estimating so far in the absence of meter readings, then the final bill will be estimated. We understand it’s not been a good situation with the missed appointments. 

We might have recommended waiting until the meter was fixed to leave, so that the final bill can be accurate, and not estimated, but you’ll be able to discuss this with the team when the final bill is produced to you. 

Do let us know how things go.

Our electricity meter stopped sending daily readings to OVO nearly 2 monts ago although our gas meter does continue to send readings. OVO is now using estimated readings (weren’t smart meters supposed to eliminate this?). Now been been reported to OVO Support and we’re back to the bad old days of logging manual readings (grr!).

What angers me is OVO not doing the simple task of detecting a meter that isn’t sending readings and being proactive about it. Surely we are entitled to expect a better customer service than this? For a company that says a lot about how customers benefit from its technology, this seems a pretty big let-down.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It’s not always easy for the supplier alone to detect that I’m afraid.

However… Try the tool at https://smart-meter-help.ovoenergy.com . It’s not full-auto like you desire, but it’s pretty close.

Smart electric meter (SMETS1) stopped sending electric readings on 22 December last year. Gas readings ARE still being sent.  Have contacted OVO 4 times so far.  There are no figures on display, so looks like problem with meter. Have contacted Ovo 4 times so far. 3 by on line message, once by email. No reply to email, but online they keep saying that the need to remotely check meter, to decide if meter requires replacement (or not). 

Was promised a call back on 29th December between 8am and 10.30am.  No one phoned, although there may have been a call at 1200 when I was unavailable.

Only the last contact (11 Jan) gave me a case number.

If the meter is broken I am worried that it may stop working all together and leave me without electricity over the cold period. Incidentally the display is now staying lit all the time.

How can I get OVO to give me an update and actually let me know what is happening? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Al1 ,

I’m a Forum Volunteer here. I act independently of OVO.

One of us actually just found a tool that might help. Try https://homebrew.n3rgy.com/ but DO NOT post the results here unless you’re able to remove all traces of your MPAN/MPRN first.

We’re only interested in whether there’s any warnings or errors - please tell us about those as it may help us give you advice.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. will try that.

I sent two photographs of display to Ovo. Will put them here as well

Ist one is when pressing 9. Display should give reading

Second  one is pressing 0  Should be a display check. 

Press 0

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Try pressing 6 (corrected from 7 - sorry about that!)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If that’s the meter I think it is, this is usually the keypad reference 

I pressed button 7. Display showed “Not in Use”

Have been trying to get OVO to remotely check meter  since 28th December. They keep saying that they will do it, but never get back to me.

I did the meter check as asked by Blastoise186 

There are no error messages showing on it. However the date of installation is given as 20 July 2021, however the meter was actually installed on 09 March 2017.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

My fault, sorry! I should have said 6 rather than 7. You appear to have a Secure Liberty 100. I didn’t get that from the tool you just used (I don’t own that thing!) but I recognised the photos.

The install date in this case would be the date it migrated to DCC and got registered to the network - DCC wouldn’t know what date it was initially deployed onto the original network it was once on.

If there’s no errors there on that tool, that’s a good thing. The next one to use is https://smart-meter-check.ovoenergy.com which will raise a report directly to the team you need in OVO and will also capture all the necessary diagnostics.

Userlevel 7

Hey @NeilB,

I’m sorry to hear of the issues you’re having,

Once you complete a smart meter health check, the smart metering team will investigate. They’ll try and resolve the issues with your smart meter remotely, if this doesn’t work you’ll be contacted and an engineer appointment will be booked. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Al1,

I’m sorry to hear of the issues you’re having,

Once you complete a smart meter health check, the smart metering team will investigate. They’ll try and resolve the issues with your smart meter remotely, if this doesn’t work you’ll be contacted and an engineer appointment will be booked. 

OVO installed a smart meter.
It has no connection to the DCC network.
The metering point is in underground basement, lots of concrete.
In southern England so O2 network?
Can I simply put 3G range extender in to boost signal from outside into my basement? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Chris Watt ,

That won’t work I’m afraid. Only an engineer can do this - something like an SKU2 Comms Hub with a T2 Booster Aerial should solve it though. Get in touch with Support and they can explore this for you.

Userlevel 6

Hi @Chris Watt 

Sorry to hear you’re having issues with the smart meter connection.

Blastoise186 has left some good advice here on the potential for a Booster Ariel to be fitted, this should help with the connection. The Support Team will be able to help you get this sorted.

We’ve also got some similar topics on smart meter connection issues that could be helpful to you:

Hopefully this has been helpful, keep us updated with how you get on.

Abby_OVO

Interesting reads but ultimately don’t move me on. Need T3 aerial, trying to work out who/where in OVO to go to ensure that process has started with DCC?

Userlevel 7

When was the smart meter installed, @Chris Watt? Our Support team might be unwilling to do anything if it’s within 6 weeks. Likewise you will need to complete a smart meter health check as the first step, unless you have already.

Installed back in Jan, might have actually been before Xmas.

filled in your health check, you should know it doesn’t work for my meter, question 3 and 4 don’t make sense.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Chris Watt

You can get in touch with our Support Team and share your results with them, They will be able to work on next steps and book any appointments necessary.

Let us know your progress!