Solved

Smart meters working but not communicating with OVO - why?

Show first post

149 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @IChap55 !

Please post photos of your meters. We might be able to figure out what’s wrong.

@Blastoise186 we’ve been through this conversation before, and I sent photos and everything was ok. Husband has checked meter and everything is connected so it’s something at OVO. It sits above meter so there can’t be any issues with connection from meter to meter. I can read how much we’ve used on smart meter 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

In that case, https://smart-meter-help.ovoenergy.com might work for you

Ok thanks will give it a try. Customer service is practically non existent, spent about three hours online chat and got nowhere as person must have been dealing with numerous conversations at the same time so gave up, emailed them after that and still waiting on reply 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The other option is 0330 303 5063

@Blastoise186 tried your link but need to wait 45 days for reply! Have tried phone number too, the wait was about as long as online chat.

Thanks for your help, if it continues then will try again and ask for engineer to come check

Hello all,

Recently set up an account with Ovo and have registered via the ovo app.

I've got a couple of questions that I need help with if possible.

1) We've been advised by Ovo that our property has smart metres and that they can take half hourly readings. The issue is the metres aren't sending readings as there is no signal where the metres are located in our apartment building. 

I've uploaded a couple of manual readings since the account went live at the end of February; however I can't see any details re energy usage on the app. Is that purely down to the fact the metres aren't able to send readings automatically?

2) We've only set up our account and received our account number recently and we are going to pay on demand...however the account is showing a few hundred pounds in credit and I am not sure why that would be the case?

Any advice as always would be appreciated.

Thanks, 

Adam 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @adam_miller it may be a delay while things are set up but it could also be that readings have been estimated or at least before your manual readings. 
There is a known problem with the usage data feed at the minute but you should see what has been logged as meter readings on your account page 

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings

Hi @BPLightlog 

Thanks for coming back to me!

The only readings that appear to be logged our my manual readings...no automatic readings have been sent - I am 99 percent sure it will be due to lack of signal. 

I was more confused about the account showing in credit when we haven't made any payments as of yet. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @BPLightlog 

The only readings that appear to be logged our my manual readings...no automatic readings have been sent - I am 99 percent sure it will be due to lack of signal. 

I was more confused about the account showing in credit when we haven't made any payments as of yet. 

Are they the £66, £67 credit for the Energy Bill Support Scheme? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @BPLightlog 

One further thing to check is the start reading. Not sure of your circumstances (no one here has access to your account) but it may be something from a previous supply/property?

Userlevel 7

Hey @adam_miller,

Welcome to OVO Online Community,

I’d advise doing a smart meter health check:

The credit could be because the first bill is inaccurate and we started to an opening estimated reading which is lower than your actual readings. Or, it might be because you’ve been credited with the energy bills support scheme payments. We can only cast assumptions on the Forum as we don’t have access to your account. 

Hope this helps. 

why do ovo say my electricity has been read with a smart meter. it has not been plugged in for 9 months now

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Leeh1 and welcome to this customer forum. 
If you mean your in house display (IHD) that’s not your smart meter. The smart meter is always ‘plugged in’ as it supplied the power to your house

Userlevel 7
Badge

This might help:
video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1652297141681831939/pu/vid/720x720/r4ap8hDkZc9Pgt9T.mp4?tag=12

Userlevel 7

Hey @Leeh1,

The smart meters refer to the meters themselves (your traditional meters would have been replaced following the smart meter installation), not the plug in device called an ‘In Home Display’. We have a great topic Hub that contains all things smart, check it out:

My smart meter is not updating. The screen has an A in the top left corner and the meter reading has not changed in 2 months. It is also not connecting to the visual display. Gas is working and connected fine. Any idea how to fix this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Rebeccapleasehelp , what type of meter is it? A photo might help to understand 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Rebeccapleasehelp,

I’m sorry to hear this,

This topic might be helpful:

Hi @Rebeccapleasehelp , what type of meter is it? A photo might help to understand 

It’s an edmi es-10a meter, I don’t have a picture atm

Userlevel 7

Hey @Rebeccapleasehelp,

You’ll need to contact the support team, I think they’ll likely book a faulty meter exchange appointment for you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @Rebeccapleasehelp,

You’ll need to contact the support team, I think they’ll likely book a faulty meter exchange appointment for you. 

Yes, that meter type has known fault symptom similar to that you describe. 

Hey @Rebeccapleasehelp,

Ahh okay thank you!

Hey @Rebeccapleasehelp,

Yes, that meter type has known fault symptom similar to that you describe. 

Great thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I think you’ve got a SMETS1 EDMI there as well, so there’s actually more good news.

If you DO have what I think you’ve got, you’re eligible for a free upgrade to SMETS2 as EDMI has refused to migrate their S1 meters to DCC. :)