No hot water or storage heating following smart meter installation

Userlevel 1

Good evening,

I had my smart meter installed Monday.

Since then I don’t have hot water or heating (storage heaters).

I found out yesterday as for personal reason myself and my kids we weren’t home.

i thought it might be because electricity was out and a reset my thermostat program but still not working. 
im calling ovo tomorrow first thing in the morning, but after reading some comments I just would like to ask to any of the members if is anything I should say to ovo for them to fix my problem as soon as possible?

thank you in advance 

50 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Easiest fix is this: Ask the Support Team to reconfigure ECAUL/ALCS Configs. That fixes 99% of these cases.

If that doesn’t work, please come back here and reply to this thread.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your replay I’ve been at the phone for an hour and they said it’s my landlord problem which is not. Told them to re configure what u told me but still nothing.

im disable with two small kids and I don’t know eoth else to do. 
thanks for your time 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Escalating manually. Please wait for an update.

Userlevel 1

Thank you ☺️ 

Userlevel 2

Hi @igmendez,

I’m really sorry for the issues you’ve been experiencing, that’s definitely not the experience we want for our customers.

I’m going to have our Forum Support team reach out to you so they can help you further with this.

Look out for a private message here soon: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/inbox/overview.

Userlevel 1

An engineer from sms came this afternoon.

the ECAUL wasn’t active, which he proceded to do .

problem hasn’t been solved and my timer on my iron cupboard doesn’t have any power. He told me to call and electrician.

An electrician come to see it and he said that I have input but no output power and he also told me my economy 7 is not active. He won’t touch it as is ovo responsibility but what I could’ve understand is  my cables are not connected properly in my fuse box. 
any ideas of what can I do next? 
electrician just test the power but he won’t do anything else. I’m gonna leave it in on mode until tomorrow and see if for any miracle it can conect.
thanks in advance 

Userlevel 7
Badge

An engineer from sms came this afternoon.

the ECAUL wasn’t active, which he proceded to do .

problem hasn’t been solved and my timer on my iron cupboard doesn’t have any power.

You posted this at about 8PM. If the ECAUL had been sent successfully a few hours earlier, you wouldn’t see any change until after midnight at the earliest, i.e. after the offpeak period was supposed to start according to the timings on your Plan page. To be certain:

1. Take a photo of your meter now, and post it in your reply here with a note of the date and time when it was taken. If you can work out how to show the active tariff on the display when you take the photo, that would be really helpful. This is the sort of picture I’m hoping to see; this one was taken from an Aclara meter, so it might be different on another type of meter:

4 March 2024, 5.45 AM

2. Wait until half an hour after your offpeak period is supposed to start (e.g. half-past midnight) and take another photo to post here. If it’s easier for you, you could take this offpeak photo early in the morning, e.g. at 6.50 AM.

We should be able to see from the photos whether ECAUL was successful or not.

When you reply, copy the offpeak timings from your Plan page, e.g.  

• Off-peak unit rate (00:00-07:00 GMT)

Of course, if the house is nice and warm this morning and you have hot water, you don’t need to do this 🙂

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your replay my house still cold and not hot water the economy 7 didn’t turn on. This picture has been taken sat at 11:34.

Userlevel 1

Just to clarify it doesn’t show any active tariff 🤦🏻‍♀️ 

Userlevel 7
Badge

That’s just the sort of photo I was asking for - thank you. I have exactly the same type of meter, working well to manage Economy 7, so it will be possible to get yours into the same state. 

Pressing button A repeatedly should cycle through the available screens. The options may change as the meter is put through the commissioning process, but I think you should see the TOU counters by now on screens headed TOU Rate n. It may be that the tariff data haven’t been transmitted to the meter yet, so we won’t worry about that for the time being.  

I’ll be watching out for tonight’s picture tomorrow.

PS The Export screens are only of interest if you’re generating electricity and exporting it to the grid, e.g. from solar panels or a wind turbine. I think you’d have mentioned  it if that were the case.

Userlevel 1

Thank you for your response. This is the pictures of TOU 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @igmendez , can I just check on something you said earlier 

“He won’t touch it as is ovo responsibility but what I could’ve understand is  my cables are not connected properly in my fuse box. 
any ideas of what can I do next? ”

Although as Firedog mentioned, the overnight power wouldn’t be active until the due timing, the cables should be connected. 
Can you post a photo of your ‘fuse box/ consumer unit’ showing the cabling so we can try to see

Userlevel 1

Of course. He said that he won’t open my fuse box but the problem comes from there. Tbh I don’t have a clue as everything was working completely fine until they change it. They changed tinned wires for copper ones. According to the electrician he won’t open black boxes or fuse box. In the picture u can see 2 units the one on the right side is the one where the switch is for heater and immersion 

Userlevel 1

Also I would like to point that another engineers is coming today. 

Userlevel 1

Sorry me again… if everything was fine last night it should’ve been connected at 11pm until 7am as is economy 7. It didn’t connect at all as we still without hot water and heating. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Also I would like to point that another engineers is coming today. 

Ok - fingers crossed they might sort things. 

But on your first picture, there are 2 consumer units. It’s the right hand one that the cables from your meter connect to for overnight power. Are there different fuse/switches there?

Userlevel 1

Yes it is 2 consumer units. The picture I sent you is the one with the hot water and heating (storage) the other one is for lights and sockets.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ah, yes .. ok. I see now. The wiring looks correct in that case so it should be back to the settings on the meter. 

Userlevel 1

Can’t it be that the wires connected in the fuse box are not connected as it should  be? And that my economy 7 hasn’t been activated? 

Userlevel 1

The last engineer said that the meter is working fine and the electrician said is not power from the fuse box to my meter 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Unless the electrician was there overnight, they have no way of knowing if the meter switch is working correctly. 
The cables go from the meter to the correct box (assuming the overnight circuits are on the right hand side).

The meter will not switch at 11pm but around midnight which then gives you 7 hours at off peak for the heating and hot water. 

Userlevel 1

Thank you ☺️ obviously didn’t switch on as still not hot water or heating I’ll keep waiting for the engineer 

Userlevel 1

First time I seen this in my meter is that correct? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It’s the little switch symbols which show the state of the timing controls. 
You need the bottom one to move to ‘closed’ (connected) for the overnight circuit to work

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

First time I seen this in my meter is that correct? 

That will probably be your peak tariff price