Solved

Is a smart meter mandatory? As an amateur radio operator I'm worried the signals may interfere

• 1 January 2022
  • 32 replies

Show first post

32 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Long story short answer. Have it installed anyway and if you really are so badly desperate to not notice anything, put the IHD away in a cupboard, set the meter to Monthly readings and then completely ignore it. It’ll then just sit there quietly doing it’s thing for the next 10 years or so.

Everyone who has come here previously with similar questions has had more or less the same info iirc.

My property is circa 1970’s so the present electric meter is installed in a large box mounted in the wall - in, not on the wall. My gas meter is inside my small utility store built next to the house - the box holding the meter is within the wall of this utility store with a door to access the meter. From what I’ve seen on this site the measurements of the smart meter are such that it would fit inside this box basically replacing the present meter - this would suit me perfectly- and yes, being in this location means I only access it once a month to provide readings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

As long as you found the dimensions for a Flonidan UniFlo then yeah, they fit pretty much the same spaces that any traditional diaphragm gas meter does. It’s the ultrasonic ones like the Flonidan SciFlo that are different to that!

It is an electric meter that is being replaced - believe the Uniflow is for Gas ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Correct. But both meters will likely be done at the same time which is pretty common.

This has not been stated to me - said the faulty electric meter would be replaced.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It depends on the job notes. If it says electric meter only, then only the electric meter gets replaced. If it says do both, then both get done.

I just know from previous experience and research that both often seem to get done.