Solved

Why am I being forced to change my Direct Debit?

Show first post

168 replies

Hi guys I have joined OVO in June on a fixed rate for 1 year however I have received two direct debit increases since then from £227 to £257 and now they want to increase to £277, I am in credit over £600 but I can’t afford for it to increase by £277 especially when it should be capped at £2500 I think I fixed mine around £3000 for the year but I don’t like the constant DD changes. I just like to know what I’m paying not keep contacting me every couple of months telling me they want to increase and there’s no way to tell them leave it has it is. Min change is £277? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Amanda 247 ,

If you need help with this one, try calling 0800 069 9831 as the Collections Team can help you out with various options. The £400 EBSS money will go to your bank account but I recommend paying it back in as this will definitely help.

That’s great will give them a call thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Amanda 247

OVO calculate your direct debits using what they think you will use in  Energy in kWh over a year and taking account of any credit you have. 

The system automatically adjusts the estimated kWh as it sees how much you actually use. 

OVO call it the Future Annual Consumption. 

You can look at it at any time vis this link on the website not the app.

https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan

Does this look similar to what you have used on previous years

Badge +1

If you use more fuel/energy you will pay more.  The caps / fixes are on prices not usage.  If your DD keeps going up that indicates to me you are using more than initially assessed.

You have no control over pricing - you have a high level of control of your consumption.

It is normal to build up a credit in the summer period - it usually shrinks very quickly once the heating kicks in during the winter.

Hi Jeffus, my consumption was average around £100 per month in the previous years but now understandably it’s gone up to £257 because of the cost of gas and electricity ( even though that’s still expensive) but now they are saying £277. I like to know exactly how much I am paying but I have only been with OVO for 3 months and to get two DD increases it is just getting silly now. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Amanda 247,

Sorry for the issues you’ve had.

It sounds like you’ve signed into a contract with much higher rates than you were on previously. Having been protected from the price increases by a cheaper, fixed rate tariff.

Even if your usage has remained consistent the prices you pay per unit of energy you use, and your daily standing charge would be more expensive. So it may not be that your usage has increased, just that your prices have.

A direct debit is supposed to be an average for the year, so that you build up a credit balance in summer to carry you through the winter months. But it sounds like you’ve already built up a substantial credit. 

As you’ve only been with us a short period of time, it may be that your estimated annual consumption is higher than your actual usage. Find out more about this topic here:

In your case, as you’ve said £277 is unaffordable, I think @Blastoise186 is right. It might be best to contact our collection team. They can suspend your direct debit from being reviewed for a set period of time. This will give us time to asses whether you EAC is out of line. 

Hi @Amanda 247 ,

If you need help with this one, try calling 0800 069 9831 as the Collections Team can help you out with various options. The £400 EBSS money will go to your bank account but I recommend paying it back in as this will definitely help.

We have tons of great guides which you might find helpful:

Hope this helps. 

Yeah that may be best to put a freeze on the direct debit if I have used over at the end of the year fixed then so be it I will pay it. there was 3 price increases when I have been here for 3 months i have been with OVO. I have messaged them rather than called because they are keeping the lines open for the vulnerable, I am managing my DD I just don’t want to keep getting contacted. They are estimating my gas amount because it’s not connected to a smart meter but they know how much I used previously I just feel they are over pricing me because I am a new customer with OVO. 

Badge +1

You need to get the estimated reading replaced by actual reading(s) that you can take from the meter(s) themselves rather than any in home display.

Your DD going up is not a price increase, it is a response to the perceived increase in usage at the prevailing prices which as you are a fixed tariff remain unchanged.  Your energy account holds your money - it only transfers to OVO when a bill is raised and set against the account.  If the bills are estimated, they will be corrected when proper readings are set against the account.  If the proper readings take your consumption down then your DD will eventually follow suit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Amanda 247 they won’t be overpricing you as you’re a new customer.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Amanda 247,

Yeah that may be best to put a freeze on the direct debit if I have used over at the end of the year fixed then so be it I will pay it. there was 3 price increases when I have been here for 3 months i have been with OVO. I have messaged them rather than called because they are keeping the lines open for the vulnerable, I am managing my DD I just don’t want to keep getting contacted. They are estimating my gas amount because it’s not connected to a smart meter but they know how much I used previously I just feel they are over pricing me because I am a new customer with OVO. 

I’d advise giving them a call, as your query will be dealt with faster! I’d also advise submitting a meter reading for gas, if you don’t OVO will have to estimate and your bills may not be accurate. 

Keep us posted with how you get on. 

Thanks guys for your responses, I have given them another Gas meter reading hopefully it should sort it self out fingers crossed. 

Hey @Amanda 247,

It sounds like you’ve signed into a contract with much higher rates than you were on previously. Having been protected from the price increases by a cheaper, fixed rate tariff.

Even if your usage has remained consistent the prices you pay per unit of energy you use, and your daily standing charge would be more expensive. So it may not be that your usage has increased, just that your prices have.

A direct debit is supposed to be an average for the year, so that you build up a credit balance in summer to carry you through the winter months. But it sounds like you’ve already built up a substantial credit. 

As you’ve only been with us a short period of time, it may be that your estimated annual consumption is higher than your actual usage. Find out more about this topic here:

In your case, as you’ve said £277 is unaffordable, I think @Blastoise186 is right. It might be best to contact our collection team. They can suspend your direct debit from being reviewed for a set period of time. This will give us time to asses whether you EAC is out of line. 

Hi @Amanda 247 ,

We have tons of great guides which you might find helpful:

Hope this helps. 

This happened to me, OVO told me my direct debit was to increase but my account was in credit and i owed them £0 going into every new billing period. Rang the collection steam and they put a hold on the attempted increase but even though i was still in the same position 2 months later they attempted to increase the DD by £190. That would have meant a combined price and consumption rise of over 100% after the new price rise. 

I suggest putting in a complaint. 

I have given them a meter reading yesterday for the gas and the estimation as  reduced the DD amount, I knew I wasn’t using what they was estimating, hopefully I don’t need to keep updating them every month with meter readings, they said on some t&c I read about renewing it every 3 months or so but they have increased the DD twice in the 3 months I have been with them, if they persist I will have to go to another supplier. 

I keep seeing OVO push it back on the customer, lots of responses saying you cannot afford it or just trying to explain away the reason why the direct debits are being highly over estimated.

Change your supplier if you’re very unhappy, i am.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Amanda 247 I would definitely give a meter reading every month, or even weekly. It will help the system to see the pattern of your actual usage is, then your DDs will settle down too. If you change supplier you’ll have to start all over again. 

I’m not suggesting you shouldn’t change supplier, just that you’ll have a load more bother ! 

Hi @isatkinson ,

You do have this option but you’ll need to call OVO to request a three month Direct Debit freeze. The Collections Team can arrange this for you, if you call 0800 069 9831 they can discuss whether this is the right move..

You used to be able to do this but now OVO force you to increase your DD even if you are substantially in credit!!!!!

Basically OVO is using your bank account for their own financing.

Everytime OVO tried to increase my DD I requested the three moth freeze and my Credit Balance increased.  Now they will only let you accept the amount they calculate though they will reduce it by upto 15% if you haggle - not good enough.

The Custome Service at OVO is chaotic and appalling

I’ve just got myself put on the exemption list for 3 months  after a whatsapp conversation with a real human being.  Worth a try.  The maximum they can do is 3 months without contacting you about increases. 

I’ve just got myself put on the exemption list for 3 months  after a whatsapp conversation with a real human being.  Worth a try.  The maximum they can do is 3 months without contacting you about increases. 

Well you are lucky. In the past I have manged that but now after several attempts speaking to people at their call centre they are saying that their policy has changed and the maximum they will give is a 15% reduction on the DD that they have calculated - even if you have a substantial credit balance.

Could it be that the Call Centre staff are being incentivised to get the maximum DD out of customers that they can?

Userlevel 7

Hi @AngryOVOCust,

Provided you aren’t in a debit balance, Support should be able to put you on a 3 month direct debit review exceptions list. 

If you are in arrears the Collections team can set up an affordable repayment plan. 

Hope this helps.

Hi @AngryOVOCust,

Provided you aren’t in a debit balance, Support should be able to put you on a 3 month direct debit review exceptions list. 

If you are in arrears the Collections team can set up an affordable repayment plan.

I am on the phone now. There first response was that they could not put me on an exemptions list. I mentioned the Forum and am now on hold.

Will update when they get back.

Hi @AngryOVOCust,

I am on the phone now. There first response was that they could not put me on an exemptions list. I mentioned the Forum and am now on hold.

Will update when they get back.

Well - I am on a three month exemption list and my DD is staying where it is for now.

When I asked why the Agent had changed their mind I was told it was because I have outstanding complaints about my DD being changed. That does not wash though because I tried to get on the exemption list yesterday and I was flat out refused.

I asked if the Agent was being incentivised, i.e. paid, to get people to accept higher DDs and I was told that was not the case.

I’ll leave you to make up your own minds.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

There are no OVO staff who get paid bonuses based on targets. They all get paid based on either fixed rate salaries or hourly wages. There are bonuses available that can be earned, but not for this kind of thing.

There are no OVO staff who get paid bonuses based on targets. They all get paid based on either fixed rate salaries or hourly wages. There are bonuses available that can be earned, but not for this kind of thing.

Okay, so OVO just have a policy of getting their Call Centre staff to tell people that the they are no longer able to put people, whose accounts are in credit, on an exemption list and have their DDs frozen for three months?

That is exactly what they are doing. I have had three goes in recent days and the initial answer was always that they are no allowed to do that any more.

Finally, after mentioning that I was posting on the Forum, I got on the list.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

There’s no such policy that I know of. Myself and @Jeffus might only be forum volunteers, but we’re pretty clued up.

Anyone can request that exemption with a good reason. OVO doesn’t have to accept, but it’ll always be considered on a case-by-case basis.