Solved

Why am I being forced to change my Direct Debit?

Show first post

168 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You should be able to freeze you dd if you contact the collections team 0800 408 6699.

That might give your usage chance to show how much you’re really using

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Clairesellars1

Hi, i don't work for OVO, i am just a customer like you. 

I assume you have working smart meters with 30min readings if you have solar panels, but i may be jumping to assumptions. This should help with the OVO calculations for direct debits. 

On this page on the website not the app you will see Future Annual Consumption.

https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan

This is what OVO use to calculate your DD. Have a look to see if it looks reasonable. 

Hi thanks Jeffus but the link just showed my tariff.

I kind of know my consumption anyway, as its pretty similar every year. In fact less this year as like most people I haven't put the heating on so much.

I know I'm on to a losing battle anyway as there is no oneat OVO who you can talk to it's all computer says no.

Such a shame because SSE were so easy to deal with.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I kind of know my consumption anyway, as its pretty similar every year. In fact less this year as like most people I haven't put the heating on so much.

I know I'm on to a losing battle anyway as there is no oneat OVO who you can talk to it's all computer says no.

When I first joined @Clairesellars1 it took a few months to show (and prove) what I was using. I got my payments frozen while this happened and haven’t had a problem since. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Did you look on the website?

It isn't on the app unfortunately which catches a lot of people out.

This number is automatically updated as OVO see how much energy you use in a year.  It won't be exactly the same as your energy use over the last year. It is calculated over a longer period. 

Be worth seeing how this compares to what you actually use given you have solar. 

This is what is used to calculate DDs

I often wonder how well the DD calculator copes with solar pv

https://account.ovoenergy.com/payments/direct-debit/calculator

Does it make a reasonable guess at the split between summer and winter on this page for you? 

Hi, I have just got the normal we are increasing your DD email, I online chatted with them and they agreed for it to be reduced (I received an email to confirm) but now have received another email to say as you haven’t been in contact since our last we are now putting it up!

This happened the last time it went up too, so very frustrating!  I left it that time but need to get it sorted this time

Anyone actually successfully got it reduced?!  Is it worth waiting on the phone in the morning?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi,

You can ask the Collections Team to do this via 0800 069 9831.

However, please ONLY do this if you absolutely need to. Locking your DD for three months can cause negative effects later, so I only recommend doing this if you desperately need it to not increase.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Jocoll75,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community,

It sounds like your direct debit was reduced but your account wasn’t put on a three month direct debit review suspension. You can get this added to your account by calling Collections as advised by community member @Blastoise186.

You can ask the Collections Team to do this via 0800 069 9831.

However, please ONLY do this if you absolutely need to. Locking your DD for three months can cause negative effects later, so I only recommend doing this if you desperately need it to not increase.

It is worth bearing in mind, the Energy Price Guarantee will be increasing in April, and Energy Bills Support Scheme payments will end this month. For more information about how OVO calculates customer’s direct debits check out this great topics:

Hope this helps. 

Thanks, I managed to got through early this morning and they confirmed that although I had contacted them to reduce it back it wasn’t set so she did it again.

Jo

Userlevel 1

Hi all.

On the 9th or 10th of this month,I was given the choice via the Ovo site(my account) to reduce my monthly payments to £105 for three months,which I did.The payments were £119 per month.

I got the confirmation email on the 11th stating that as of today my payment had been reduced,yet on checking my banking app,and also the Ovo site,I’ve been charged the full £119!

Can anybody please explain why this would happen?Being a pensioner this is not what I need.I’ve been with Ovo for almost two years and am on the Simple energy tariff paying by DD  for gas and electric.

How do I sort this overpayment out please?The reduction from £119 to £105(£14)would help with my finances.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The direct debit amount does stabilise a few days before the transfer so it’s possible that the level was set before you changed it

Userlevel 1

The direct debit amount does stabilise a few days before the transfer so it’s possible that the level was set before you changed it

Ok but why would Ovo send me confirmation of the new amount and the date it started,which was today? And,when is it likely to resolve itself,if at all?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ok but why would Ovo send me confirmation of the new amount and the date it started,which was today? And,when is it likely to resolve itself,if at all?

Can’t answer directly as I’m just another customer but I would guess that the next dd should be at the new amount

Absolutely digusting customer servive from OVO.

Rung them relating to an increased DD, told to hold the line whilst investigated….22 mins later the line went dead.

Rung back, couldn’get through.

Rung back again and customer services rep told me I didn’t understand what she was saying (insinuating I was thick) and to go to the app and type my grievance, said I wanted to talk to someone….not interested...dead phone line again.

Won’t be staying with this company much longer

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Absolutely digusting customer servive from OVO.

Rung them relating to an increased DD, told to hold the line whilst investigated….22 mins later the line went dead.

Rung back, couldn’get through.

Rung back again and customer services rep told me I didn’t understand what she was saying (insinuating I was thick) and to go to the app and type my grievance, said I wanted to talk to someone….not interested...dead phone line again.

Won’t be staying with this company much longer

Hi @Gray Did you try the Collections number?

0800 0699 831

They tend to have more flexibility than the normal Support number.

There are some very experienced OVO customers on the forum so one of us may be able to help partly answer any questions. Up to you obviously. 

Hi @Gray Did you try the Collections number?

0800 0699 831

They tend to have more flexibility than the normal Support number.

There are some very experienced OVO customers on the forum so one of us may be able to help partly answer any questions. Up to you obviously. 

Will give it a go, Thanks

Hi, got in touch with Collection Dept, very helpful lady.

Still paying more, but she knocked almost 50% off the DD increase.

Thanks for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi, got in touch with Collection Dept, very helpful lady.

Still paying more, but she knocked almost 50% off the DD increase.

Thanks for your help.

Always happy to help. 

Keep an eye on the DD, it is usually frozen for 3 months, but on the very odd occasion reverts back more quickly. 

After 3 months you can request another freeze but do keep an eye on your overall credit/debit.