• Request a refund of over £5
  • Request a refund up to £1000
  • Leave a remaining balance of at least one month's Direct Debit

Exact appearance may vary

Refunds can be requested through the online account by following these steps:

• Go to the Payments tab and click 'Apply for a refund'
  • Choose the amount they wish to have refunded

Exact appearance may vary

If you don't meet the criteria outlined above, an error message will be displayed

Final refunds with cancelled Direct Debits

You can still get a final refund if a Direct Debit has been cancelled. The money will then be refunded to the bank account that the most recent Direct Debit payment came from. If this doesn’t work, our Support team can do this for you. 

Cancelling a refund

Please reach out to our Support team ASAP, if you want to cancel a refund that you’ve requested. Otherwise the request will be sent to your bank and it will be too late. 

Processing multiple refunds to the same bank account

We are unable to process more than one refund in a 24 hour period (3:00pm - 2:59pm the next day) to members with more than one account which has the same bank details. This to prevent accidental duplicates being processed. 

This is an uncommon scenario but may occur if for example you’re a landlord and would like credit refunding over multiple accounts. 

To prevent the refunds from being cancelled, either request the refunds on separate days yourself, or send the request for refunds to our Support team, who can do this for you. 

Anything we’ve missed? Let us know below...

3 replies

After 4 months of trying to get a refund of a positive balance from Ovo Energy, I am now having to initiate legal proceedings. I am guessing that Ovo have cash flow problems - so anybody that has a large positive balance, be careful!

They continuously sound reasonable and promise to repay, I keep giving them one more week to make the payment… then nothing, no contact, and back round the same conversation - so the formal ‘letter before action’ was served on Ovo today.

Who else has similar issues?

Userlevel 7

Thanks for sharing this, @surema - sounds like a very frustrating journey to get your credit back. 

Can I ask for a bit more info, just to help us comment more? For example are you still with OVO? Do you have smart meters or an update to date statement based on actual meter readings? What reasons have OVO previously given for the delay?

My advice, if you haven’t done this already, is to make sure that letter you sent in gets raised as a complaint. The final point of complaint escalation will be between yourself and our Complaints team. If then your issue is still not resolved as you would like it, a deadlock letter will outline the details for the Ombudsman. However, please be advised that if the issue was raised longer then 8 weeks ago (and you say it was 4 months) you would be able to approach the Ombudsmen directly. 

More info on our complaint process here

I moved house in November, informed Ovo, was promised a refund of the positive balance. I complained/escalated in December.

I have been promised ‘refund by the end of the week - to very nice representatives of Ovo, They all sounded great, very helpful: then the payment did not happen.

After drafting and emailing the LBA, I realised there was an ombudsman option, and so have instead initiated that today.