F.A.Q.

OVO Energy Live billing platform and monthly summaries - What do I need to know?

OVO Energy Live billing platform and monthly summaries - What do I need to know?
Userlevel 7

Updated on 01/09/23 by Abby_OVO

Here at OVO, we’re always on the lookout for ways to make managing your energy account easier. This is why we developed a new billing system in-house and have now moved the vast majority of OVO customer accounts over to this new platform. As part of this we’re changing the way that we calculate your energy costs and the frequency this is displayed on your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS). This means that when you login, you can now see your account balance update daily, based on the most recent reading you’ve submitted manually or we’ve received automatically from your smart meter.

Traditional Energy billing model

Traditionally energy companies would receive meter reads either

• From customers reading their own meters and submitting a read.
  • From smart meters directly.

On a specific date each month or each quarter, they’d look at the latest meter read they had received to bill you and generate a statement. This might have been based on the latest smart meter read, it might have been based on the last read you submitted manually or it might be based on an estimated meter reading if there was no meter reading received for that day.

This model makes anticipating and budgeting your energy costs harder as you’re only able to see how much your usage is costing at certain intervals throughout the year.

So how does live-billing help?

We started developing this up-to-date billing solution as OVO customers told us that the traditional model of issuing a monthly or quarterly statement can make it difficult for them to feel in control of their energy costs. Particularly at times of increased usage, having to wait until the next statement was issued can cause increased anxiety and may result in customers restricting energy usage or worrying about the next payment due. With up-to-date billing you now get a clearer idea of how much your energy use has cost every day and keep track of your balance throughout the month.

This means that the balance shown on your online account is always an accurate reflection taking into account

• The cost of your energy usage, as calculated and billed with each time your smart meter sends us a reading or you submit a reading manually.
  • Daily standing charges.
  • Payments and refunds.

Monthly Summaries

Along with the way your charges are shown on your online account, you’ll also notice a difference to the statement that’s emailed or sent to you each month. We’ve streamlined the information we give you into a monthly summary. This will be emailed or posted depending on your communication preferences. All previous monthly summaries can also be downloaded on the ‘’Billing History’ page of your online account:

Exact appearance may vary

How to get the best out of the new online account

As we’re able to calculate your charges whenever we receive a reading, the live-billing platform is ideal if you’ve got a smart meter set to send us readings either daily or half-hourly. We’ll then adjust your balance based on actual usage figures each day at midnight. If you’ve not yet got a smart meter installed this might be the perfect time to take the leap.

If you’ve already got one installed but it’s currently sending us monthly readings, we’d recommend contacting our Support Team to request an update to your smart meter reading schedule.

Got any more question about how your account billing works? Comment below, we’re happy to help.

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO customer? - Check out our plans!

260 replies

Hi my meter readings are showing in app daily but the electricity charge has stopped being updated so no charge for electric since 9 May. . Any idea what the issue could be? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi my meter readings are showing in app daily but the electricity charge has stopped being updated so no charge for electric since 9 May. . Any idea what the issue could be? 

Is the standing charge for electricity updating daily?

Do you have gas and if so is that updating? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yup, standing charges should also update daily even if no meter reading is provided. The live balance factors these in and recalculates every day somewhere between midnight and 6am. I’ve never stayed up long enough to pin it down!

You may want to check MyOVO as well, just in case.

Not sure how to use this so hope my reply is seen.  Gas is updating fine no problem. Standing charge for both gas and electric are showing in recent payments but the electricity charge is frozen since last updating on 9th May. The daily readings are showing for both gas and electricity every day too so can’t figure what the problem is. 🤷‍♀️

Also get a message saying that they couldn’t get a reading for my “null” meter. I’ve tried giving a reading but when I look both readings are there each day. 

Userlevel 7

Sorry to hear about the issues you’ve had with the electricity charges on your online account, @Bbernie.

If we’re receiving readings from your smart meters, we’d expect your usage costs to be calculated and you balance adjusted daily, so it sounds like there might be a technical issue with your account.

Have there been any other recent changes to your account (change of plan or meter) perhaps?

If you haven’t already it’s worth flagging this to our Support Team for some account-specific investigations.

Hi Jess_OVO nothing has changed on my account recently. I’ve e mailed Ovo direct about it. They said it might be something to do with the way the meter is set up on the billing system but I don’t see how the way it is set up would have changed suddenly. I am waiting for the metering team to look in to it . Not sure if they will contact me or just fix it. I’m a bit worried they will make it worse but that’s just my catastrophic anxiety kicking in 🙄

Hi

I am with OVO energy. I am experiencing doubling of my bills every week. On the 9th of May it showed me a bill of 114 pounds which I paid. It has not reflected on the online account. Then on the 23rd of May I was told my bill was 230 pounds by the OVO energy customer service. Today I just checked and its 455 pounds. I am sure this is wrong but they have insisted that it's my bill. 

Kashini 
Userlevel 7

Hi @Kash and welcome to the OVO forum,

Sorry to hear about the issues you’ve had with the billing and payments on your account. Just to clarify, as you mention seeing your usage costs accumulate weekly, our online billing platform runs on a live-billing model. This means your balance will be adjusted daily to account for your up-to date standing charges. If you’ve got a smart meter which sends us daily or half-hourly meter readings your usage costs will also be calculated and deducted from your account balance every day. If you’ve got a traditional meter you may notice your balance changes each time you submit a reading. There’s more information on this live-billing process in the guide above.

You’ll still receive a monthly summary which is emailed to you at the end of each billing period. This will include the overall energy costs and payments made during that month. As you mention not seeing a payment reflected on your account I’m wondering if  this is shown on the current billing period page which you can find by heading to the ‘Billing history’ page and clicking on the ‘View current billing period’ button.

Exact appearance may vary

A payment should appear here within 24 hours so if it’s still missing  at this point our Support Team can help investigate the missing credit.

If we’re receiving regular meter readings your monthly usage costs should accurately reflect the cost of energy you’ve used. Depending on the type of plan you’re on you may find that the unit rates and standing charges which are being charged may have increased recently. You can check your current plan and prices by heading to the ‘Plan’ page. If you’re on our variable Simpler Energy plan, these prices are controlled by Ofgem’s Variable Price Cap which increased in April due to the rising cost of wholesale energy. You can read more about this and how to seek additional advice and support here.

I hope this information helps get to the bottom of things. Let us know if you’ve got any follow-up questions.

Why is this months bill show from 7th June to 7th June and NOT July?

Userlevel 7

Hi @BigDen!

Well this does sound strange. Just to double-check have you logged in to your online account to check whether there’s any other issues with your account?

We’re not able to investigate account-specific issues here, but if you do suspect there might be a billing pause or error we’d recommend getting in touch wit our Support Team who can take a closer look.

Do pop back and let us know how you get on.

I have been changed from SSE to OVO, not happy about it at all, just can’t understand the bills, desperately want to get away from OVO as I have never had these problems before, is anyone else having the same issue.

I have read that OVO customer service is appalling, and apparently they charge you for phone calls and emails! 

I had a bill for £179 which needed paying within 14 days, gone into pay it and it says I only owe £28?! Confused muchly

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Catchatter ,

I’m Blastoise186, one of the forum volunteers around here.

Firstly, sorry to hear of any trouble since the transfer. I can only offer general advice, but you might find it useful.

What kind of problems are you having with the bills? I might be able to offer some advice depending on what it is.

apparently they charge you for phone calls and emails! 

That sounds like the old Self Service Reward, which was discontinued several years ago and you won’t have that. The official contact number 0330 303 5063 is no more expensive to call than any other landline number and is covered by inclusive minutes you may have.

I had a bill for £179 which needed paying within 14 days, gone into pay it and it says I only owe £28?! 

To me, that sounds like some of your SSE credit might have transferred over and been put towards the bill automatically. If you check MyOVO, you should see more details.

2 days ago I was in credit by £1300 !! Ovo asked me to increase my direct debit, which I did, maybe my first mistake. I thought I would leave the credit balance where it was to pay for future winter bill. 

So today I go on account to see how much less electric I have used because I've been using an airfryer !! And my account is in debt by over £300 !! Where has my credit balance of £1300 gone ?? 

I've looked at my previous months bills and it's not even showing on there !! I'm so confused ??

Userlevel 2

Hi All, 

After reading Jk62 question (sorry I do not know how to link their question here) about if you are in credit, the amount goes down in real time (if you have a smart meter).

Does this mean we're paying twice to Ovo? Once on each day and then when your bill day is. 

I was wondering why I was struggling to get my head around the online billing system. I just couldn't find the right phrase to match.

Also, does anyone know what happens if you have no amount in the account. Do you get in trouble if you go to, say minus figures. 

I have read the online help guides but they don't seem to address these issues specifically.

When I called the Support Team over a week ago, they said if I go to 'traditional' billing like pay on receipt, I could not pay by Direct Debit then. Back to paying balance up in full.

I would phone but Ovo is closed on Monday due to HM Queen's funeral. 

Best Wishes,

youngeru2 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

No, you’re not paying twice.

If you have a Direct Debit agreement you have a float of money held in your OVO account. You keep it topped up, and OVO supply your electricity and gas.

Every month OVO will calculate the amount you’ve used that month, then produce a bill for that month. If you have a DD agreement they take the money from the float, if you don’t have a DD they’ll send you a bill, which you have to pay within a few days (poss 14 ? not sure).

The balance you see on your online account is an indiction of what’s in the float:

If you pay by DD the balance will increase when that’s paid (every month automatically by your bank), and every day will decrease by the amount of the charges for that day.

If you pay on receipt of the bill your balance will show as negative until you pay the bill.

Userlevel 2

Thanks for that @juliamc 

I still finding it quite a difficult change.

Anyone know if Ovo takes into account the money in the float before billing and what happens say you go into minus figures. 

Sorry for asking again. 

youngeru2

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

There are two answers to this - depending whether you pay on receipt of bill or you have a DD agreement,

You would only go into minus if you pay on receipt of the bill, and then you must pay it !! If you paid too much there would be a balance (or float) of the extra you paid. In that case the float would go towards you next bill.

If you have a DD agreement then the float would not go into minus, as the DD agreement would allow OVO to take money from your bank each month.

Userlevel 7

Hi @sharron,

Sorry for the issues you’ve had.

Have you never seen this credit balance on your monthly statements? Or is this a recent change? You can download all of your statements on your Online Account to check.

As this is account specific, I can only speculate as to what may have happened here;

It may be that you’ve had a delay or hold on your billing, so you’re credit balance had been building up without you having a statement for your usage. Or, your account may have been re-billed in which case a new bill should be available on your account and our billing team will reach out to you directly explaining. 

It could be that you’ve submitted a reading recently and had a ‘catch up bill’, if you’ve been using more that we estimated. Or, if you have a smart meter we may not have been in communications with it. If it seems this is the case, we have a great tutorial you might find useful:

If your billing has been monthly, to actual reads and it hasn’t shown a large credit balance it may be that your Online Account has an error, in which case i’d advise keeping an eye on it.  Your monthly statements will accurately show how much you’ve used and your account balance. 

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @youngeru2,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community. 

Great to see our community members giving some tip-top advice here.

We have a live billing system which means that if you have a smart meter, that sends daily readings, your account balance will change every day according to your usage. This means that through the month you are able to check what you are using and how healthy your account balance it.

You then get a monthly statement which is an overview of the month, how much energy you’ve used and how much it’s cost.

We have a really great guide here you might find helpful:

If you don’t find the live billing useful, you could wait until you get your statement each month and check your usage there. 

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 2

If you have a DD agreement then the float would not go into minus, as the DD agreement would allow OVO to take money from your bank each month.

I have the DD arrangement. Does anyone know how much Ovo could take out from my bank? 

thanks, 

youngeru2

Userlevel 2

Hey @youngeru2,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community. 

We have a really great guide here you might find helpful:

If you don’t find the live billing useful, you could wait until you get your statement each month and check your usage there. 

Hope this helps. 

I have read the help guide page that @Emmanuelle_OVO@Emmanuelle_OVO has kindly linked but it doesn't answer my points either or stick in my head. 

Userlevel 2

I'm a new customer with mental health challenges so find change really difficult, hard to follow ideas through. 

I'm still not getting how Ovo bills customers.

thanks, 

youngeru2 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @youngeru2  if you’re looking at your OVO account on the OVO app touch on the word Payments at the bottom of your screen. That should show  Today’s Balance and a bit further down the screen it’ll show the Direct Debit amount, and the date it’s taken each month. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @youngeru2,

I’m sorry to hear that.

Have you heard of the Priority Services Register? It’s a completely free and offers a number of additional services including different bill formatting if that is something of interest to you. 

You can apply here

Hope this helps.