I think my meter is clocking too fast - How can I test if my high usage is due to a faulty meter?

I think my meter is clocking too fast - How can I test if my high usage is due to a faulty meter?

Show first post

275 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

The difference may be vat and the standing charge. Also Monday is probably the busiest day on the phones.

My gas for November was 3 to 5 pounds per day.

with no change to usage the last day of the month is £35 pounds, and the was a 3 day delay in this being indicated.

Is it some form of manual input by OVO??

Userlevel 7

Hey @Ron Sandy,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community,

You can find out more about our live billing system here:

If you don’t submit meter readings your account will be estimated, but when you submit a read your account balance will automatically update within 24-48 hours. 

If you haven’t already got one, I'd recommend getting a free smart meter installed. That way your billing will always be accurate! 

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 7

So it’s an increase in usage costs, showing on both the In Home Display and the online account@Nigel R1803 ? 

Bear in mind that any drop in temperature can mean that gas boilers have to work harder for hot water and heating, even when no changes to usage or target temperatures are set. 

It doesn't help at all. I have smart meter, that's how I know my daily consumption in energy and pounds.

There is one day, end of November with about 8 time my normal consumption. It can't be right at there was no significant change in our normal energy usage 

Thanks for the replies. Since Saturday the smart meter is working as it was before, no idea why the readings were high. Having calculated usage plus standing charge etc on the App, for the Saturday, it was actually back to it's usual £4.50 as per day.

Userlevel 7

Thanks for the reply here, @Ron Sandy

Are you able to look at your online account’s meter reading page for the 29th and the 30th? https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/electricity

Hi not been back on been poorly it’s a 4 bed detached 1987 it has a 3 year old traditional boiler and I have a gas gob. Can’t remember last time I used hob so just the boiler. Feel better now I know that the gas smart meter only kicks in every half hour.  That is y my gas is off but my meter still recording that’s the reason. I have 4 jumper on 3 fleece leggings hat and gloves and frozen to death. I have arthritis severe so need to be warm hence all the clothes.   Any advice would be appreciated. I do have a heated throw which is really cheap to run so I ok at nite it’s the day xx

I have a Nest thermostat. I also have an OVO smart meter

Last Friday I turned the heating down to 12c for 24hrs as there would be nobody at home for the week

The nest has recorded around 20 - 30 mins heating each day

The OVO app states £7 - 8 each day usage of gas

My neighbour has an EDF Smart meter, larger house & uses approx £3/day & that is with his home fully occupied & evenings set at 20c

i have asked OVO about this & they state there is nothing wrong with the meter

any suggestions welcome

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Is you smart meter set to do half hourly readings ? If so you get a great graph on MyOVO which shows what’s been going on. 

Userlevel 4

I'd definitely echo what @juliamc says above. Have a look at your usage by half hour in the app. Even an hourly usage would be useful. Just see if you can narrow down at least when the OVO system says you were using gas.

It does seem like there's some discrepancy somewhere. Is your hot water in a cylinder or instant via combi boiler? Could there be an issue with your hot water that Nest wouldn't pick up because it's only monitoring gas used during heating?

Userlevel 2

I think your neighbour may be mistaken about the amount they use a day. Comparisons with neighbour and friends are never useful.

I know we’re going through a particular cold snap right now but is this why our usage has gone from 60 kWh to 90 kWh a day but our heating and hot water times are the same?  We haven’t used any other gas appliances and our stat is set to 18 degrees..  From the 8th December it’s shot up.  We have not come off any deals as we are on the standard variable rate.  Any thoughts gratefully received.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Your heating is working harder as it's colder outside, so it uses more gas (or electricity). Our usage has also gone up quite a lot in this cold weather.

Thanks good to know as we’re relatively new to smart meters and OVO being SSE before. Hoping it will drop back down before the next price hike in Jan.  I take it heating the house for 8 hours total split morning and evening at 18 degrees is the norm for heating and hot water?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There isn't really a norm for when to run your heating. If your setup keeps the house at the temperature you like then stick with it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Lintor27 , @M.isterW is spot on. You really need to make your timings and temperature setting to suit your situation. It’s inevitable that you use more in a cold spell. You could try trimming the times a little to test the result but shouldn’t leave yourselves too uncomfortable 

Well it seems to have reset all the readings now.Now there's not one huge reading on 30th November 

Hi Folks, 

Hoping you can help! Here are the facts: 

• Family of 6
  • 3 megaflo tanks (immersion off)
  • Drayton control panel (on timer)
  • 3 Amptec ELECTRIC boilers (on low heat setting)
  • Myson underfloor (hardly kicks in as we are south facing with many windows)
  • Elster A1100 meter (tends to flash red, rapidly)
  • No electric cars or heavy machinery plugged in
  • Mostly LED lights

…...This is all electric. My monthly bills earlier in the year were c.£3000/per month with usage of c.6,000Kwh/per month. In my last house (gas + electric) last year I was paying less than £500/ per month. 

Any suggestions? Ovo themselves have told me that 6000kwh per month is ridiculous. 

Appreciate any help….

RS

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @rohit.shukla7 and welcome to this customer forum. The first thing to check is if your meter readings are accurate. They should have a note by each reading for you to see. You should make sure they’re not estimated. 
https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings

Do you have a smart meter? If so you could look at the daily readings to see if there’s a clue there. If not you may want to check more often to see when you are using the most energy. 
If you think the meter is reading too high, you could check a few more things

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Also you have described 7 power hunger devices, all with an efficiency of 100% max. If you had a heat pump you should get an efficiency of 350%

You may qualify for the boiler upgrade scheme too.

Trying to check usage but meter displaying Battery Cover OPe

^ cancelled appointments as not an emergency

Need to reduce DD.

OvO no help in resolving this issue.

Help

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Intend , it sounds like either the meter is faulty or as sometimes happens, the battery compartment is not closed and sealed correctly. It will need some intervention I believe 

Yes, We have had six appointments made and six appointments cancelled at the last minute as OVO sub the work out.

While got gas it is not an emergency, what is an emergency is the need to reduce our DD

OVO refusing to do that or guarantee a meter change.

What can we do - how do I get my DD reduced??

Nobody seems able to answer this.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Intend,

Sorry for the issues you’re having, 

You can contact the Support Team and request they put your direct debit on a review suspension until your faulty meter issue is resolved. 

Keep us posted with how you get on.