I think my meter is clocking too fast - How can I test if my high usage is due to a faulty meter?

I think my meter is clocking too fast - How can I test if my high usage is due to a faulty meter?

Show first post

283 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

BTW this is Geo IHD 

As far as I’m aware, that doesn’t normally connect via a CT?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The Geo Minim is no longer supported, even by Geo. It hasn’t been sold for quite a while. Likewise, ALL Onzo and Owl products are totally unsupported.

Sorry, but we also can’t do much here either with regards to any of those.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

BTW this is Geo IHD 

As far as I’m aware, that doesn’t normally connect via a CT?

Only the Geo Minim line has ever been known to do that if memory serves. Geo also owns the rights to Onzo these days, but they’ve stopped supporting those ancient CT and LED monitors.

Owl meanwhile is erm… Dead…

Gotta credit the Geo rep who helped me with this stuff in the past. That guy rocks

Understand. Thank you for your help. In any case, there is no point getting a better monitor since it will not really be of any use in my case. The only thing that would make a difference is to use what engineers are using to check accuracy but this is probably not for public use. Anyway I just wanted to confirm that apart from risking 165GBP there is no other choice but to accept it. It is a pity that decimals cannot be displayed on the meter since this would be enough for me to calculate the actual creep if there is any.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The check meters used in Meter Accuracy Tests are indeed restricted to engineers only. Nothing good would come of making them publicly available.

I moved into my new apartment in February, it's a 2 bed with very little appliances. I work 6 days a week so very really home.

Then I received my first bill £216.

Off peak charging 788kwh

Peak charging 98kwh

Off peak nothing been used and have noticed on the meter my kwh is higher than what my bill says I'm paying.

I have spoken to other residents and they are all paying nearly half that amount. I use very little electric, 1 tv, a sky box, fridge freezer, most storage heaters are turned off or down to lowest setting Don't use the cooker, washing machine once a week and a quick shower daily.

I really need some help and support as surly these readings can not be correct.

Sadly, it’s probably the storage heaters.  I have only had my hall and living room ones on and the last three bills have been over £300.  Thank goodness the warmer weather is coming!

Userlevel 7
Badge

You’ll need to do some detective work to find out what’s happening, or give us the details so we can try and work it out, assuming you’re with OVO (we could possibly help even if you’re not with OVO). The kWh figures you quote look quite alarming.

Do you have a smart meter (if it’s a new apartment as in newly-built, then the meter should be a smart one)?

Do you have access to your online OVO account?

You’ve received a bill. On it you should see two important numbers: the MPAN by which the electricity distributor identifies the supply to the property, and the MSN which uniquely identifies your meter. Make a note of them somewhere safe, e.g. on the same piece of paper where the meter readings were recorded when you first moved in. 

The first thing to check is that the MSN on your bill is the same as the one on your meter. It should start with two digits for the year it was certified (e.g. 23 for 2023) probably followed by a letter and a lot more numbers.

You say that my kwh is higher than what my bill says I'm paying. The bill should show opening and closing meter readings for the period it covers; it’s the difference between these that say how many kWh you’ve used and have to pay for. If the readings given on the bill don’t match the ones on your meter readings history page, something’s wrong. That page also tells you whether the readings it gives are actual ones (Smart or Manual) or Estimated

It would help a lot if you could post:

• a clear photo of the meter itself showing the cables connected to it and what it says on the display. Put the time of day you took the photo in its caption when you post it here;
  • a screenshot of the page of your bill that shows the readings and calculations;
  • a screenshot of your Plan page showing the type of tariff you’re on with its prices; 
  • a screenshot of your meter readings history page including the entry for the date of your bill. 

We’ll take it from there.