I think my meter is clocking too fast - How can I test if my high usage is due to a faulty meter?

I think my meter is clocking too fast - How can I test if my high usage is due to a faulty meter?

Show first post

283 replies

hi, I own and rent out a mid terrace four story house. There is a three room basement flat with an electric hob and extractor fan and an under the counter fridge and small separate freezer. 

Upstairs on the remaining four floors is a HMO with four rented bedrooms. The kitchen has an electric oven, gas hob, washing machine and two freestanding fridge freezers 1800 mm high 600 mm wide.

Five people live the property. October to November electricity bill was based on 1130 kWh. Is this a normal monthly usage ? I feel it is excessive and I’m trying to work out why it is so high ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Seeka69 , it will depend on several things, one being the type of heating around the building.

If you have a smart meter set to record half hourly readings, you can track what is being used when.

The figure you mentioned may be high but can you see on your account if this is from readings or estimated? With the number of people there, there could be a reason it would be higher than average

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Seeka69 

Welcome to the forum, I am just a customer like you.

If you have a smart meter set to 30min data you should be able to see your usage on this page

https://account.ovoenergy.com/usage?datePeriod=daily&unit=kwh

Something like this

Take a look at this page to see if your readings are estimated or smart for billing purposes 

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/electricity

Something like this

Ideally a daily reading with the word smart next to it.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Seeka69,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community,

If your meter is traditional it may be that your bills are estimated, or you’ve received a recent ‘catch up bill’ after a long period of estimates.

If you have a smart meter this tutorial may be helpful:

If your readings are accurate, you may have a faulty appliance using more energy than it should, or it may be due to a faulty meter:

Hope this helps. 

Thanks for all the input. The bills are not estimated they are taken from a smart meter. I have done a questionnaire on this to determine whether or not it is faulty,. I await the results. My concern was the amount of electricity being used and how much it costs. Is that just the way it is now with increasing energy prices ? £300 a month works out around £60 per person. Is that the norm ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks for all the input. The bills are not estimated they are taken from a smart meter. I have done a questionnaire on this to determine whether or not it is faulty,. I await the results. My concern was the amount of electricity being used and how much it costs. Is that just the way it is now with increasing energy prices ? £300 a month works out around £60 per person. Is that the norm ? 

1. How is the property heated? Any electric heating?

2. How is hot water provided?

3. Are there electric showers?

You have 4 fridge/freezer appliances, plus with a HMO and 5 people currently in some ways you basically potentially have 5 separate adults

- All potentially doing electric cooking separately 

- All potentially boiling the kettle, using a toaster separately

- All using the washing machine separately

- All potentially having tech in their room separately like TV, games console etc.

Etc.

It does sound like it could easily be correct. Personally I doubt there is an issue with the meter based on what you have said. But it is impossible to know.

Userlevel 7

Are you able to take a screenshot of the usage page on your Online Account @Seeka69? Then we can take a closer look into this. 

Userlevel 6

Partly touched on above is how your HMO tenants are heating their rooms.

It’s not uncommon to find that tenants in a HMO think the CH is set too low (and sometimes the LL will do that to try and save money) and so using fan heaters at up to 3 kW each, if you have tenants who originate from hotter climes then it’s even more common.
Just one of those heaters running for hours a day will soon rack up the electricity charges, and if all 4 are using them …...

these are my consumption values in july so far for E;

consumption values E 01/07 -18/07 inc

my question is why is this spike happening?

Can there be a spike in electricity readings with an old style ( dial ) meter - that is NOT related to a measured increase in individual appliance usage… ie a remote overrride or abstraction..before I carry out a Creep Test ? I have started taking daily readings and found nothing amiss BUT from 5/1/24 ( meter readings taken for my supplier ) until 19/2/24 ( daily readings commenced ) our usage has increased 50%...

Userlevel 7

Hey @WIRRALDAVE,

There’s a possibility a meter can be faulty, especially if it’s an old dial meter. My advice with a traditional meter would be to look at the meter readings not consumption values, as there is always the possibility that some readings are estimates and others are actual readings which cause the appearance of a ‘jump’ in usage. 

I must admit I wasn’t aware that the dial on and old style meter could show “ estimates “ … could you elaborate on how and when this could happen, do you think ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The meter itself doesn’t technically show estimates - it aims to show actual usage. It’s the meter readings in your account which might get flagged as Smart, Manual or Estimated.

With that being said, the older a Traditional Meter gets, the higher the chances that it loses accuracy in one direction or the other - and this really can mess up your bills even more than estimated readings do.

As far as I’m aware ( and my education on this is now continually expanding… ! ) Estimated Readings - assuming these to be supplier only triggered ( without reference to the meter ) - would not come in to the equation as ALL the readings, on which any billing is based, have been supplied by me… unless it’s been a split bill ( for a unit price change in mid month ….

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As far as I’m aware ( and my education on this is now continually expanding… ! ) Estimated Readings - assuming these to be supplier only triggered ( without reference to the meter ) - would not come in to the equation as ALL the readings, on which any billing is based, have been supplied by me… unless it’s been a split bill ( for a unit price change in mid month ….

Depending on when you supply your readings, OVO do sometimes estimate to billing period end (even if your readings are near to the billing date). 
You can check what type of readings have been used as they are tagged when recorded on your meter reading page

How can I change a display from integers to decimals in EM425-UK (SMETS) to run a creeping test?

Without decimals it is impossible to check any creep even with one hour with fuses off.

My energy use display (not part of the meter) shows around 20% less usage than the meter reading sent to OVO. This display was accurate with the previous meter in a different location. Any way to confirm an issue with the meter without spending over 100GBP for an engineer (does not make sense even with 20% difference)? Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can’t change the meter display. 
If you have an IHD (in home display), depending on the model, you may be able to see the decimals there. 
These are directly read from the meter

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @petenovak1234 ,

You don’t I’m afraid. That model doesn’t have such an option.

Worth noting that Smart Meters - even ancient SMETS1 Itron ones - do self-calibrate to prevent such issues. It’s very unlikely to be a meter fault.

If the meter creep is so tiny that only decimals show it after an hour… Then I’m afraid it’d be well within the 10% margin of error allowance and you’d just be throwing £165 down the drain.

Likewise, it’s the meter readings themselves that get used for billing purposes - NOT what the IHD says.

Ok. Thanks. As I thought. The creep test would not work without decimals. 20% in my case is 15kwh per month so I would need a day to see any creeping without decimals. And since 15kwh is circa 4GBP per month it is not worth paying for the engineer who will most likely will not see any issue. OVO suggested a creep test but I explained that without decimals it is pointless and they directed me to this forum. This just confirmed what I replied them. Looks like I have to live with tipping them 10-20% every month. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Trust me when I say this. If the meter was faulty… You’d be seeing the visible numbers spin like mad even with the entire consumer unit totally shut down.

If it hardly moves at all while the consumer unit is totally off, it’s very unlikely to be faulty.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There is a margin every meter works within in calibration. I think you’d probably notice the difference in that case but I’m surprised if the IHD shows anything different to the meter because it gets its info directly from it 

IHD is not part of the meter. This is an older smart meter and my display is a clamp type and is a separate device. It was accurate with non-smart meter in my previous location and my previous experience tells me that the IHD usage is more accurate. I would not be able to see spinning numbers since I am only complaining about exaggerated creeping (as I said around 20% more usage 0.5kwh per day). I think this is not that unusual since they actually always suggest creeping test but I would need a commercial setup for 20% to justify an engineer or see this creep on integers. This is still around 50GBP per year but looks like I need to treat it as a fixed cost. I do remember that with the old meters you could actually see the creep (turning of the dial) even with all power off so this is a feature not a bug. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

In that case, the clamp monitor is probably at fault here. Those things can be wildly inaccurate - especially the cheap ones. If memory serves, the Owl ones for example became useless after a couple of years, as did whatever the ones SSE used to give out.

This sounds like a fault with whatever clamp monitor display you’ve got.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ah, ok. The clamp type IHD’s are certainly not as accurate (the CT being a problem).

Im fairly sure that the meter will be showing what is used within its calibration range 

Yes. I have to assume that anyway since it makes no sense financially to pay for the engineer. IHD was accurate in the past but if you say they deteriorate - it could be the case here. In any case without a separate device - there is no way to notice any problems and without decimals on a meter’s display - any creep test is next to useless unless you think that someone steals from you a lot. It is a pity that there is no other in-house test for a meter accuracy. 

BTW this is Geo IHD