I think my meter is clocking too fast - How can I test if my high usage is due to a faulty meter?

I think my meter is clocking too fast - How can I test if my high usage is due to a faulty meter?

Show first post

283 replies

Thanks for reply

We do not need a review suspension but  a temporary reduction of our direct debit.

We were in a lot of credit when the meter failed, we have reduced our consumption significantly due to increase in cost.

No one can say when the meter will be fixed. 

Who do we contact to get the DD reduced until OVO solve their problem.

OVOs problem should not be our problem

Userlevel 7

Hey @Intend,

Yes, sorry I should have explained myself clearer, you can get the direct debit reduced to what it was previously, if the increase has been based on estimated usage. The Support Team can then put your account on a direct debit review suspension to ensure it doesn’t increase until the faulty meter is replaced. 

It Has not been increased, It has always been too high. It is a new house and as such very energy efficient, the DD was based on usage in the old house and was in credit when we mover over a year ago.

The real issue is the faulty meter, the replacement of which you have no control over - it is sub contracted to a third party. Last appointment was cancelled because they had no paperwork from  the “network” - so 3 organisations involved none with ownership.

Hence the only leverage is to reduce the DD until OVO can tell me how much I am actually spending.

Imagine a supermarket charging me £300 a week for my shopping but not telling me my actual shopping costs.!!! Sorry but it is nothing but corporate theft.

A name and telephone contact with someone with the authority to solve this is required.

Thanks for your input, but it needs a resolution.

Just had telephone call saying latest appointment cancelled as OVO need 6-8 weeks to raise the paperwork!!

Ovo have had 12 weeks in witch to do that that.

What is going on.

Contact details please. 

Will somebody take ownership of the issue??

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Just had telephone call saying latest appointment cancelled as OVO need 6-8 weeks to raise the paperwork!!

Ovo have had 12 weeks in witch to do that that.

What is going on.

Contact details please. 

Will somebody take ownership of the issue??

Hi @Intend 

I don't work for OVO, i am just a customer. 

You would have to put in a complaint to escalate

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

The moderators on the forum can't access your account or give out contact details to escalate issues. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Intend,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

The estimates would be based on previous usage from the property you’re in, not your previous address. Has the meter ever worked since you moved in? If so, the estimates should be based on your previous usage.

You’ve mentioned 12 weeks for paperwork? I think something else is going on here aside from the meter stopping showing readings. I don’t have access to your account here on the Forum, but I’ll ask Forum_Support to reach out. 

Hope this helps.

Really do not know what to do, this is energy sapping.

Can I reduce my DD from the OVO account that I have, when the meter is fixed my usage can be closely monitored and the DD adjusted accordingly>

How can I ensure that, your, meter is fixed in a reasonable time.

Now three months and several cancelled appointments and nothing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Really do not know what to do, this is energy sapping.

Can I reduce my DD from the OVO account that I have, when the meter is fixed my usage can be closely monitored and the DD adjusted accordingly>

Did Forum_Support reach out to help you? Have you asked them for help with this? 

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/inbox/overview

Nothing, click on link and nothing showing.

Ovo just do not care, 

Userlevel 6

Hi @Intend 

Sorry about this, I’ve ensured that Forum Support reach out to you now, so you should see a message there shortly.

Apologies for the delay. 

I have been having this issue a while now and even have video evidence that the meter is still running even when the gas is shut off at the valve and the boiler etc is turned off. I have been waiting for an answer from the ovo advanced resolutions team for over a month: I am wondering if anyone has had any similar issues and how long it took to resolve. Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

This sounds more likely a gas leak. Please call 0800 111 999 to be safe.

This sounds more likely a gas leak. Please call 0800 111 999 to be safe.

Thanks for your reply. This was something I have been concerned about and I’ve had the gas safety engineers out twice who gave it a thorough check up and said there were no leaks in the system. The gas safety valve is also turned off and the meter is still increasing. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Ms12000,

Sorry for the issues you’re having, 

If you already contacted the 24 hour National Gas Emergency hotline on 0800 111 999 and they’ve advised there isn’t a leak, it may be that your meter is faulty. We have a page on our website dedicated to energy emergencies

The process would be to contact the Support Team who will investigate. If you have a video of the meter consumption going up while the emergency control valve is off, it would be useful to send this in. 

Hope this helps. 

Thank you for the article, My problem is this. I go to my caravan most weekends, so no one is in my home, everything is turned off. Looking at my readings this week, Sunday, when i was away, i used more electricity than the next day when i came home, used appliances. I do not understand how this happens. On the saturday I also used a small amount of gas, maybe that could be a pilot light.?

I need to get this issue resolved as I am retired on my own, and need to look after the pennies like everyone else.

Going through the points on the list above, I may attempt the creep test, not too sure though on how to do it. Do I turn the fuse box off, ? also , how much does it cost to get a technician out to look at my meter?

I have had an issue on the meter reading \not reading previously.

Userlevel 7

Hey @SueC,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community,

Is your smart meter set to half hourly meter readings? If so, it might be easier to pin point when energy is being used and if so, what appliance is using it. 

Creep Test

If you’ve been unable to get to the bottom of an increase in our usage by locating a greedy appliance, the next step would be to carry out an initial check on the accuracy of the meter with a ‘Creep Test’. To carry this out: turn off the power to your fuse box and check if the meter continues to clock. If the meter clocks (more than 1 - 2 units which could be down to residual power in the wires)  then it's either faulty, or clocking someone else’s usage.

If your meter is in a communal meter cupboard, sometimes the meter details can get mixed up. Firstly it’s worth checking the meter serial number on the meter matches the serial number registered on your account. You can see this on the ‘Meter readings’ page of your online account.

If it’s not the meter, it could be an appliance like a fridge freezer for example.

What’s the best way to locate an energy guzzling appliance?

Worried that your electricity usage seems high? By checking the usage of each circuit you might be able to find out the particular appliance which is the culprit. The meter will need to have decimals showing in the reading for this test to be useful:

1. Leave the main breaker in.
  2. Turn off all individual circuits (on the fuse board, for example).
  3. The electricity meter should stop clocking usage. If not, there could be a short in the fuse/breaker panel box or an appliance connected without fuse/breaker protection. An electrician will be needed to investigate this.
  4. Turn on one individual circuit.
  5. Watch to see if the electric meter starts to clock usage.
  6. Turn off that individual circuit and turn on another one. Again, watch to see if the electric meter is clocking.
  7. Repeat step 6 until all individual circuits have been checked.

You’re looking for a circuit that causes the meter to clock a lot of usage, compared to the other circuits. There could be a problem with an appliance or a connection on that circuit. We’d recommend contacting an electrician to check the appliances on this circuit, particularly if there are any old or potentially faulty appliances plugged in.  Find out the average usage for each appliances on this great guide and some great energy saving advice on the Centre for Sustainable Energy.

Thanks, my problem is that according to my usage chart i used more electric when i was out of the house on the 1st Oct than when i was home and using multiple appliances.

I shall certainly try the creep test when i can get my daughter to help as i m a bit nervous about that, and this next weekend i m going to make sure everything is off apart from network and fridge freezer.

I did have half hourly meter readings but I stopped them. Since then my meter has stopped sending readings then suddenly started up again. I have only stand by things on at the weekend, fridge freezer, that's it, which is what i cannot understand.

I did wonder if the recent price hike may of done something.

Anyway I will investigate further, and see if i need Ovo to look at my meter, 

Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @SueC , are you sure your usage chart is showing actuals? It can use estimates even if you have a smart meter. Look at the table below the chart and check. 
Where the table has a green figure and line below, you can click on it and get details of the day. Where the figure is black and no line, that figure is estimated. 

Oh thank you for that bit of info...i ve always wondered why they were different...i ll check back on that. My grandson did wonder if the cameras might of being working hard...cant think so on that. Ill certainly check up on that tho 

I must thank you again for putting my mind at peace. Yes the last 3 days are all in black! I also noticed that the amounts change.

So, why is this when I am on a smart meter? And, how do they get put right, is it when the meter decides to send a reading? I have on several times been asked to send a manual reading , so maybe they are not so smart.

So, problem solved, I think .

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Smart meters can sometimes miss their ‘connection’ and it can take a few days to reconnect. It’s worth watching and if you don’t get a ‘smart’ reading again in a few days time ask customer support to test it.

That’s happened to mine a few times 

Thank you again,you've been very helpful. I've passed this on to my daughter who also gets anxious about the price increases. It mounts up. I did notice for that period the charge was changing,only a few pence,but strange.

I do think that this information could be more prominent on the website. So for now we will be watching the readings 🙂

My bills and usage seem excessively high. I became single in March 2021. Since then I've lived alone in a 1 bedroom flat, out working all day and not exactly using much power when I am at home. I was switched from SSE around June/July 2023.

Now all my downloaded bills and usage information are inaccessible.

I wanted to make check all usage of the past two and half years so as to understand things more clearly. My predicted future usage seems to be massively overestimated! Every penny counts these days!

Now all my downloaded bills and usage information are inaccessible.

Hi,

When you log in to your OVO online account, at the bottom of the home page your should see an option with a green background that says ‘View full billing history’. If you select that option, you should be able to access and download at least the last 12 months of SSE bills (I think I have around 18 months worth of old SSE bills on my account)..

My predicted future usage was also wildly OTT after my account was migrated from SSE.and I am pretty sure that SSE real world usage wasn’t even taken into account … but now that I have near enough a year’s worth of history with OVO it is finally much more reasonable. 

Mark