Solved

How do I reconnect an electricity supply for a property which has been empty for some time?

• 9 March 2022
  • 8 replies

Property has been empty for some time, and I want to get my electricity supply reconnected. How do I get this done? I’ve already called three different numbers and im pushed from pillar to post.

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 10 March 2022, 14:56

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 1

Take a look here they should be able to point you in right direction

https://www.energynetworks.org/operating-the-networks/whos-my-network-operator

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-consumers/energy-advice-households/finding-your-energy-supplier-or-network-operator

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @Rob Tai ,

I remember that there was a glitch with the number for SSE that you’d need for this. Would you be OK to hang in there for a bit while I ask @Jess_OVO to verify the correct contact info?

Nice photo by the way :)

Userlevel 7

What a lovely photo, @Rob Tai.

Just to clarify, as you mention the electricity supply is currently disconnected, is there still an electricity meter on-site? If so it may be a case of finding out who supplies this meter to get an account set-up with them and the electricity back up and running. You can check this by contacting your DNO - more details here.

If there’s no meter at the moment, this would require a new supply to be set-up. Currently OVO or SSE doesn’t offer this so we’d recommend reaching out to another large energy supplier to request a new connection.

I hope this helps you figure out the next steps in your case.

Meter is in the property. Energynetworks.org show my energy network operator as SSEN. Their website says the address is outside their distribution area, and the serial number search says the distributer is SSE/Ovo.

Depending who I’ve spoke to at SSE/Ovo/N Power, the account is migrating to Ovo: N Power is the supplier: the post code related to a different property on a different island: the serial number relates to another different property in a different village, and there is no record of any property.

So, one week later and about 20 phone calls lasting many hours, I still don’t know who my electricity supplier is. What does seem clear is the National Database records mentioned by the above suppliers is incorrect. My property is remote, and its possible the post code relates to my property only.       

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @Rob Tai,

It looks like your most recent post got picked up by our spam filter - I’ve just removed it now!

What’s the latest on this one? This sounds tricky:

N Power is the supplier: the post code related to a different property on a different island: the serial number relates to another different property in a different village, and there is no record of any property.

What does the Royal Mail think your address is and how does this correlate with the registered energy supplier? 

The DNS have made two site visits, and these are the facts. There is a meter in the property, and the line is connected to the transformer which is next to the property. The transformer only serves this property, but has been disconnected from the HV line. So this physical problem has been identified, and the DNS (SSE) said this will be rectified some time in the future. HOWEVER, the real problem is setting up an account. SSE said call Ovo to reactivate the supply and set up a new account. I called OVo and they said they can’t do this and I have to go back to SSE,  as the account is with them. I’ve now been on hold with SSE for 30 minutes………….

SO IN CONCLUSION, since February, dozens of calls, with lots of helpful staff, but still no electricity and no account.  ☹️

Userlevel 7

Sounds like a really frustrating one this one, @Rob Tai.

Did you manage to get things set-up with SSE in the end?

While we’re in the process of moving the remaining SSE customer accounts over to OVO, if the supply for your property is yet to be moved over, you’ll need to contact the SSE Support Team in order to create a new account. I’m really sorry for the confusion over who you’d need to contact.

I’m hoping things are on their way to being sorted now, if not please let us know and I’ll see if there’s anything I can do to follow this up for you.

No Nothing was sorted out. I spent three hours on the phone being on hold and finally speaking to someone, and then being told I had been transferred to the wrong department, and on and on. This happened I think three times, and in the end I had to stop because I had a meeting to go  to. 

That said, I noticed in your first message “Currently OVO or SSE doesn’t offer this so we’d recommend reaching out to another large energy supplier to request a new connection.”

So today on the basis of your advice I’ve been on price comparison sites including switcharoo, who have told me they have no tariffs to sell me for my property until the end of May, and when they do they will call me!