Solved

How do I export my OVO usage data?

Show first post

37 replies

I just raised the question on the chat line:

Business said

at the moment there is no set date for this however it will be available in the near future

You said

That message seems to have been on the website for the past four years? Is progress being made on making this happen?

Business said

if this is listed on our website it will be in process, I apologise but i cannot provide a timeframe on when this will be available

In the meantime, I scrapped some of the data using the Chrome DataMiner tool (as a previous user recommended). Would be time consuming that to do it for every day without the paid version though. 

Userlevel 7

@JamieHankins it’s been a long time coming hasn’t it!

It’s been a busy few years though, with Covid, the energy crisis and lots of work to get customers to join the OVO family. But I know that the Kaluza team that create the billing platform, this month they spoke to a few forum members about the possible applications of a customer facing API. @g-de and @Jequinlan I think were two of those that spoke to Kaluza...

Userlevel 1

Indeed I did. I was keeping quiet not knowing how much you wanted to publicise but it was a good chat and great to see a company actively working with the community to open this kind of thing up, rather than trying to prevent non-approved access as I’ve seen elsewhere.

It was a session of finding out how people are using the data, issues encountered and hopes for improvement. I think it was promising and look forward to seeing where things go.

Userlevel 7
Badge

… trying to prevent non-approved access as I’ve seen elsewhere.

I’m intrigued - what’s non-approved access? Is someone stealing our data?

Userlevel 1

… trying to prevent non-approved access as I’ve seen elsewhere.

I’m intrigued - what’s non-approved access? Is someone stealing our data?

Probably my poor terminology but I was meaning using apps/scripts developed through reverse engineering rather than via mechanisms which have been officially endorsed and documented to be used by third parties.

Userlevel 7
Badge

… mechanisms which have been officially endorsed and documented to be used by third parties.

Sorry to be dim, but I don’t have a clue what this means. As far as I’m concerned, there are only two parties involved - me and OVO. The fact that OVO then farm out some of the functionality to a different company doesn’t affect me. I should perhaps add that my development days are well behind me, but I do waste a lot of time extracting data from the account website that isn’t immediately apparent to the ordinary user. Are you suggesting that this is in some way illegal? I can’t find anything about ‘reverse engineering’ or anything similar in the OVO T&Cs or privacy policy ...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If you think about it @Firedog using various feeds the ‘data’ is out there via several sources. Some use API or other interfaces to extract and present that in a variety of ways. If you are still not fully adopted by DCC then your data might not be available and anyone who hasn’t given other providers access might struggle but I believe there is direct access from DCC for those with appropriate skills https://www.smartdcc.co.uk/media/6106/con_u1_2_duis_31_ddmmyyyy_clean.pdf

Userlevel 7
Badge

… I believe there is direct access from DCC for those with appropriate skills 

I haven’t looked into this in any detail, but I certainly got the impression that the safeguards DCC has in place to ensure that only fit and proper persons have access to the data they control are pretty robust. Are you suggesting that there are skilled cowboys out there bypassing DCC’s checks?

But we’ve wandered a bit off the original topic, which was how to get hold of our own data. I can’t even access the data that one little box in my house is sending to another little box a few meters away, let alone anybody else’s. Bright can, though, so I can at least see more or less the same on my PC as I can on my IHD.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

… I believe there is direct access from DCC for those with appropriate skills 

... Are you suggesting that there are skilled cowboys out there bypassing DCC’s checks?

No, not at all

But we’ve wandered a bit off the original topic, which was how to get hold of our own data. 

there are API and MQTT calls available for your own data via any service you have signed up to so you could get that now if you have a feed via Bright

Userlevel 1

Hello, can anyone advise me where the energy usage (both gas and electricity) is shown as a monthly % ?.
Ie., for example January = 10%, February = 12%, March = 8 %, etc as a part of 100% for the year.

If it was available for a three bed semi house then that would be even better.

Many thanks

Colin W

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Not a feature right now I’m afraid. But it could be!

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/ideas 

Userlevel 1

It should be, OVO has the numbers and it’s a simple sum. Should be available by size of house and/or household.
I don’t know how to rectify an issue if I don’t know if I have an issue !
I feel it would help us all manage our usage. Finding out a year later that we burnt more then the uk average is useless.
Just my view.