Solved

Higher daily usage when I'm away - why is my online account usage section not accurate?

I am currently dog sitting for my son at the moment, up until i went to his house my daily usage was generally abour £1.60 a day. Since arriving at my sons house on the 6th of Augast my daily rate has increased to £2.60 a day, this when no one is in my flat. Any one shed any ligh6on this please. Thanks. 

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 22 August 2022, 19:58

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Buffy13 ,

Could I ask where you’re seeing this higher rate by any chance, and whether you have smart meters please? The forum volunteers on this forum (including myself) are great at puzzle solving and we can probably figure this one out with you if you’d like us to.

When i log into my account i can see my daily usage. I do have a smart meter. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks, that helps a lot, since it lets us disregard some of the options from the list. It actually happens to narrow down the culprit a lot too!

If you go into the app and then go to Account > Meter Readings, does it say Smart next to all of them, and how often are they showing up? This will help me to figure out if there’s a problem or whether the billing platform is merely estimating between gaps.

Smart is showing up for all months except for August. 

I have been away over the weekend and my ovo account is telling me that I have used more electricity than last weekend when I was home. How can this be right? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 19/10/23 by Abby_OVO

Could I ask where you’re seeing this higher rate by any chance, and whether you have smart meters please? The forum volunteers on this forum (including myself) are great at puzzle solving and we can probably figure this one out with you if you’d like us to.

When i log into my account i can see my daily usage. I do have a smart meter. Thanks

If you go into the app and then go to Account > Meter Readings, does it say Smart next to all of them, and how often are they showing up? This will help me to figure out if there’s a problem or whether the billing platform is merely estimating between gaps.

Smart is showing up for all months except for August. 

Ok, thanks. I think I’m now pretty confident with my diagnosis.

It sounds like your meters are in Monthly Mode for the purposes of submitting meter readings. You might want to set them to Daily or Half-Hourly Mode instead. When in Monthly Mode, the billing platform has to fill in the gaps by averaging everything out.

Hopefully this should solve it. But if not, we’ve got more tricks yet!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Jan Obrien ,

I’m pretty confident I can solve this one, but I need to be sure first. Do you have smart meters by any chance?

Thank you for your help. I will do as you advise. 

Yes I  have a smart meter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ok, great. That definitely helps.

If you head into the OVO Energy app on your phone and then go to Account > Meter Readings, there’s a few things I’d like to check:

• When was the last meter reading?
  • Does it say Smart, Manual or Estimated?
  • How often are meter readings showing up in there?

This will help me diagnose the problem.

Last reading was 19th August

Says its a smart reading and prior to the 19th it's done daily

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hmm… It seems there might have been a loss of communications.

Could you show me photos of your smart meters and in-home display please? Once I’ve figured out what you’ve got, I can try some diagnostics with you.

Sorry but I'm not sure how to send a photo to you. I'm a bit behind with technology. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’s ok. You can use the photo button on the toolbar, just next to the quote marks.

If you get stuck, feel free to email anything over to forum@ovoenergy.com and a moderator will be happy to upload it for you.

Think I have sent to you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It doesn’t look like any images got included with your post, could you try again for me?

Userlevel 7

blastoise is right, @Jan Obrien - with no smart readings since the 19th, we’ve estimated your weekend usage. 

You’re able to check for any signal issues yourself using these guides, depending on your smart meter model:

SMETS1 Secure Smart Meter Health Check guide - here

SMETS2 Smart Meter Health Check guide - here