Solved

Can OVO install a meter for a new gas connection?

• 7 December 2021
  • 42 replies

Show first post

42 replies

Userlevel 7

Hey @Hazmac,

I’m sorry to hear this,

I’m surprised OVO are connected to the MPRN. I’ve just asked about this internally, I’m going to try and get some clarity on this for you. 

OVO say they are not able to fit a gas meter for a new supply although I am a customer for electricity

The ova advisor said they do not supply meters for a new gas supply.  They said to try SSE which was my original supplier without any problem for over 30 years.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Nope, OVO can definitely do them. You can’t go back to SSE either because SSE is no longer taking anyone on. I’ve let @Tim_OVO know about this.

It is a wonder that anyone will go with ova.  It is very confusing. They do not seem to know how to run a business!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It used to be that OVO couldn’t create new supplies but things have changed since. It’s likely that the agent you spoke to wasn’t aware of the changes.

Userlevel 7

Hi @John Downey, thanks for the question. 

I’ll get the latest situation with OVO and new connections and come back to update this topic. 

Thanks,

Tim

Spoke to OVO just now and was told to go on to SSE for a new gas meter.  The number was 03450261998.  The message said they are not doing this just now and we should try another supplier.  The OVO person said they do supply new meters.

We are pensioners without heating and hot water.  Can you help Tim_OVO

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Spoke to OVO just now and was told to go on to SSE for a new gas meter.  The number was 03450261998.  The message said they are not doing this just now and we should try another supplier.  The OVO person said they do supply new meters.

We are pensioners without heating and hot water.  Can you help Tim_OVO

@Tim_OVO just tagging 

Userlevel 7

Update on this one, @John Downey, please be advised that as of this Thursday (23rd February), you’re able to request a new connection to be created with OVO Energy by calling this number: 03450261998

Very difficult to find how to get a price from OVO to supply a new build property.

We have a date and MPAN from the local electricity network but can’t find a solution on Ovo’s website

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @my-new-house ,

If it’s a NEW Connection you’re after, you’ll need to speak to OVO directly on 0330 303 5063 as the online tools won’t work. They can set things up, link to the MPAN and arrange an engineer to install a meter.

Many thanks I will try that

Just want to add my voice.

A previous topic by @GrownHandbag pretty much details my problem.

We have a flat that had previously been disconnected from Gas supply. Since we moved in, we have confirmed with a visit from the distributor (Cadent) that the supply is live and suitable for reconnection. We have tried to get appointments from Ovo’s new connections team to fit a new gas meter, however appointments have now been repeatedly missed and, on the most recent occasion, they appear to not even have a record of the appointment that we have already paid for (£106)!!!

There are only so many times the GSOP £30 is worth it, especially when we have to wait another 3 to 4 months for a new appointment that’ll likely end up being missed again. The complaints procedure seemingly makes no difference.

Just hugely disappointing and worth switching away from.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Just curious… But why are you trying to reconnect the gas?

Just curious… But why are you trying to reconnect the gas?

The flat is currently centrally heated with an older electric boiler which is prohibitive in terms of space and cost, and the property is in a conservation area which (along with it’s positioning) currently makes a heat pump or other heating installation impossible re. planning.

Considering we’re aiming to replace the very old electric boiler set up and piping anyway, we figured getting a combi after reconnecting gas would be far cheaper overall than a newer electric boiler, even if just for the next 10 years only. It would also save quite a sizeable amount of space in this smaller flat and, rather shockingly, hugely increase the EPC back to a position where it’ll be rentable again (under planned upcoming regulations) if we so choose.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Mattypops,

I’m really sorry to hear this,

I’ll get Forum_Support to reach out to you, please keep an eye on your private messages.