Solved

Should I get an electric cooker or one that's dual fuel? Does it matter?

• 2 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Need to buy a new cooker,  should I choose all electric or dual fuel 

icon

Best answer by Jeffus 2 October 2023, 20:00

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Up to you really tbh. I use all electric with induction hobs myself and that all works great for me - but please make sure to verify compatibility with your pots and pans either way!!!

Oh, and if you’re going for gas anything, you’ll probably want to place a CO Alarm near it just to be safe. I’d also recommend putting a Heat Alarm in the kitchen too regardless of what you go with. :)

Thanks, kitchen is alarmed.  I’m thinking electric is more environmentally friendly   Induction will need new pans 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. Another advantage to induction hobs is safety - they’re REALLY good at that!

For example, the hob won’t run at all unless it detects a compatible pot/pan on the ring so if you put your hand on it instead, nothing happens other than it just beeping angrily at you that it can’t activate. Likewise, the ring will shut down instantly if the pot/pan is removed for any reason.

There’s also the instant response to turning it on/off and up/down - it’s almost as fast as gas.

And the other safety benefit is that the ring never heats up at all. So once you turn it off and remove the pan, it’s stone cold again in very little time which is great if you have children or pets around.

Combine that with being more sustainable, and yeah it’s definitely worth thinking about.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I agree with @Blastoise186 .

We also like our induction hob, easy to clean and use. 

Does take a bit of getting use to. On peak power it does heat the pans very quickly which can be useful, just don't forget them....

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

And if/when you get electric heating ie a heat pump, you can have the gas disconnected and #stopburningstuff - that’s my aim.