Skip to main content
Solved

Power Move Plus- Really low target? Unachievable?

• 5 December 2023
  • 72 replies

This Power Move Plus is getting a joke now the first one I had to get under 0.5 than it was 0.3 now it's 0.2 i see a pattern emerging here next it will be 0.0 if I wasn't able to achieve it at 0.3 why do there think i can at 0.2. It's like it's been set up to fail.

OVO seems to be the only energy company that is going for low % most other companies have just asked customers to try to reduce there energy to lower than they would usually use for the time allocated.

I no longer participate either. If I turn off my fridge freezer I can get down to .02 or .03 per half hour over the 3 hour period for PM but PMP is impossible  -  and not worth the effort anyway for such derisory rewards! 

Yup - same stuff 2 months ago! 

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/power-move-plus-163/nonsensical-target-for-power-move-plus-16528

It’s a joke. Let’s announce after a freezing night knowing it will be freezing all day and the following night when they set the target knowing full well people cannot sit in the cold. Total joke totally unacceptable and utterly disgraceful 

We sat with most lights off last week, no TV, we did it! 13p off our bill. Woo hoo!

We sat with most lights off last week, no TV, we did it! 13p off our bill. Woo hoo!

Yes and we’re supposed to be grateful. 1992 it cost on average £10 in electric and £5 in gas to heat the average three bedroom house for one week. Now it’s that in a day!!! 

It’s a joke. Let’s announce after a freezing night knowing it will be freezing all day and the following night when they set the target knowing full well people cannot sit in the cold. Total joke totally unacceptable and utterly disgraceful 

Err, you don't have to do it you know! 

Whoppee  Do, Just had my email from last weeks PM+ managed below my 0.1 and earned a whole 8p

Clearly won’t bother anymore

This "incentive" has now become a big joke and an insult to OVO customers. To meet their ridiculous targets you would have to use candles instead of lights. I have recently been out of the country for 2 weeks, no one in the house, no tv, no appliances used etc but still "sorry you didn't meet your target" e-mail. If OVO wants customers help make it worth their while.

This "incentive" has now become a big joke and an insult to OVO customers. To meet their ridiculous targets you would have to use candles instead of lights. I have recently been out of the country for 2 weeks, no one in the house, no tv, no appliances used etc but still "sorry you didn't meet your target" e-mail. If OVO wants customers help make it worth their while.

There seems to be a general misconception regarding the scheme. It is about moving when you use electricity not about using less. If you don't use any or very little you won't met the target. We have met the target every month 

I have met the target easily but I have been living in the property and using whatever electricity that is needed outside of the Power Move hours. 

The £15.00 credit isn't a big deal but better than nothing and if its helping to lessen the demand between 4 & 7 pm, then that's good surely.

I have moved my daily routine. I now eat my main meal before 4pm, I dont charge devices between 4 and 7pm.  I read their time before participating in the scheme and used them. When I questioned it with OVO I was actually told seeing as I'm already a low usage customer the scheme wouldn't really apply to me, they were more interested in heavy users. So I'm already making an effort and then discriminated against for trying more. 

There needs to be a list of frequently asked questions about this scheme, because we are only slowly learning that it isn’t much use to us ‘green’ users. So OVO need to clearly state who it is for, and what they want out of it.

Because my gas is so much more expensive and I am a very low lecky user I have found that if I use the electric shower rather than a bath and the washing machine during the week ( outside 4 to 7) I meet the target. I save the baths for the weekend.

I get a bit a money on each event, better than nothing and it's my choice to participate 

That's a very valid request but the scheme makes it clear that a payment is based on the users average percentage usage during the Power Move times during the month. To attain that, a level of usage has to be achieved outside of these hours. Low users generally will find it difficult to achieve that percentage as they haven't much to reduce in the first place.

Hey @CalBrit,

@2versus1 Has given some helpful advice here:

There seems to be a general misconception regarding the scheme. It is about moving when you use electricity not about using less. If you don't use any or very little you won't met the target. We have met the target every month 

Power Move is about rewarding you for using energy in a way that’s better for the planet. That doesn’t mean using any less energy. Instead, we challenge you to use energy at greener times of the day – in return for credit on your energy bill.

You can find out more on the Power Move homepage.

This topic may have some helpful hints and tips: 

Last 2 Power Move Plus sessions were met. My target was 0.1 KWH so was rewarded with 9p and 12p. On a roll!

okay so l joined the low energy use thingy where you get money back when l joined last month it said try not to use heavy usage equipment such as washing machine - fair enough Dish washer - dont have one  or dryer - dont have one 

Between the hours of 5 and 7

so fair enough altered my eating habits made sure l had a coffee and biscuit before 5 and cooked and ate my main meal after 7.00 and l got £1.57 back

this month it seems they have widened their goal posts to hours 4 till 7 

and they tell me l need to use less than 14% energy to make the grade by the end of the month

So l ask everyone on here do you turn the heating off at 4.00

sit in the dark till 7.00 or what?

what am l doing wrong?

Firstly you are mixing up two different schemes.

The one you got the £1.75 for, 5PM to 7PM, was a Demand Flexibility Event.
That’s a National Grid Scheme to help cope with any predicted ‘emergency’ high demand.
The ‘events’ are at short notice and most suppliers take part.
Each ‘event’ is a one-off and seperate for other ‘events’, which may have different times and different rewards.
You are given a personal target in kWh and you have to use less than that target.
At OVO they call it ‘Power Move Plus.’

The second one, 4PM to 7PM, is every weekday.
The targets to achieve, there are currently 3-levels, are a percentage of your weeekday use throughout a whole month.
This is an OVO scheme and is called ‘Power Move’. (without the ‘Plus’).

It’s unfortunate that they chose such similar names, it can and does confuse people.

Both schemes are voluntary, and you can choose to take part or not in either one, or in both if you want to.
(Although doing the monthly Power Move will make your personal targets lower in the one-off Power Move Plus events).

For Power Move you shouldn’t sit in the dark, and there should be no need to turn the heating off unless it’s all electric heating.

Personally I have been doing the 4-7 Power Move since October 2023 and I have met the target and got £15 each month.
I started trying various things, but over the months have found that simply doing my (all electric) cooking outside of 4-7, and not using my electric kettle, or any other ‘large’ electrical appliences during that time is all that I need to meet the targets.
(TBH I’ve even found that I can still use a kettle sparingly, and do some limited cooking in the microwave or the air fryer between 4-7 - as long as I don’t do it everyday).

There is a forum group here for Power Move, where you can find more discussion and tips on how to help meet the targets..
I’d ignore the negative posts, and there are a number (many from those who don’t understand that it’s MOVE and not Reduce usage), concentrate on the posts and tips from those who are meeting the targets.

I suggest that you join that group and start with reading this thread there, remembering that the learning and tips get better as it goes along from a year ago so the older posts may not be the best:

Not everyone will be able to meet the Power Move targets, eg. those who cook with gas are at a disadvantage straight away because they don’t have that large daily electricity use to move to a different time.

Had an email today saying I had missed my February Power Move target……for 22 of the 29 days of February the house was empty and the heating off🤷🏼

Had an email today saying I had missed my February Power Move target……for 22 of the 29 days of February the house was empty and the heating off🤷🏼

The clue is in the name.

Power MOVE is about MOVING your usage out of peak hours into off-peak hours.

It is NOT about reducing your overall usage.

If the house was empty then you reduced the overall useage - but you didn't, you couldn't, MOVE anything from peak to off-peak.

To put it in other words you have to have a peak usage to MOVE, if there is no (peak) usage then there is nothing to be moved.

This topic might help answer some of your questions @alexmartuk: