Skip to main content
Solved

Power Move Plus- Really low target? Unachievable?

• 5 December 2023
  • 72 replies

This Power Move Plus is getting a joke now the first one I had to get under 0.5 than it was 0.3 now it's 0.2 i see a pattern emerging here next it will be 0.0 if I wasn't able to achieve it at 0.3 why do there think i can at 0.2. It's like it's been set up to fail.

OVO seems to be the only energy company that is going for low % most other companies have just asked customers to try to reduce there energy to lower than they would usually use for the time allocated.

@EverythingNeedsAUserName can I ask have you been able to hit your target of 0.1 on any of the events?

😂😂😂😂😂

Personally, I don’t like fixed reimbursement schemes, like Power Move, and much prefer variable schemes, like Power Move Plus.

With Power Move, light to medium users, with limited moveable demands, like me, find it very difficult to achieve any reimbursement, and high users can easily achieve the payment, and then have no real incentive to save any more.   But with Power Move Plus, everybody should be able to get some payment, however small, and have an incentive to save as much as possible.

Interesting, whereas Power Move Plus is based on the National Grid DFS system, and they (the grid) pay for it, so it costs OVO nothing, Power Move is just an Ovo scheme, which presumable is paid for by OVO not having to pay the grid for expensive electricity during the peak period.

Rgds,

Steve

@EverythingNeedsAUserName can I ask have you been able to hit your target of 0.1 on any of the events?

😂😂😂😂😂

@Lucky2 I had completely forgotten - yes we did! 

Hugo version of the Demand Flexibility Scheme/ Power Move Plus for me just for comparison.

@Jeffus my nephews with Octopus this is there version of the Power Move Plus he earned £4.58p

I received an impossible target of 0.2kw and did succeed by reducing it by 0.06kw. I had in that time no lights on and used my iPad to view TV. So i only had the essentials running ie fridge freezer. I personally will not be participating again for an 18p saving. I am already a low user and have over £300 credit in my account so was doing it for environmental reasons but being in the dark between 5:30 and 6:30pm in the north east of Scotland is not the way I want to live. So sorry but it’s a pass for me

That's perfectly acceptable Suzanne as you are already doing your bit. Well done. No need to be uncomfortable.

I regularly manage my Power Move target as work from home and use more electricity during the day (although still a low user overall) I really struggle with Power Move plus as a target of 0.2kw just doesn’t incentivise me. My monthly bill with heating is less than £90 so already am a low user given I am in North East Scotland with less daylight and colder days and nights. They should be targeted the heavy users who just don’t seem to care and maybe penalise rather than incentivise- just a thought

To be expected to reach these targets is borderline unacceptable.Well done Suzanne I too make sacrifices but there are limits.

@suzannemousley I agree with you my target was 0.2kwh also and like you I sat in the dark for an hour for 39p

It's apparent that the Power Move Plus does not work for participants in Power Move who are already reducing their usage during these times.

If you weren't a Power Move participant, your target would be a lot higher and the ability to drastically reduce usage for an hour would be greater. Quite easily done if you weren't making any effort already.

Hope this makes sense.

I'm afraid I have to agree, I am a low energy user, I was offered the same deal to stick at 2p from 5.30 to 6. 30pm   I had everything off only my tv and the fridge, I was doing well with not going over the 2p then my small fridge freezer kicked in and it rose to 4p for about 5mins..  so I didn't meet the target!   There was, and there is absolutely nothing I could do to alter this, so sadly, its a total waste of time for me.

Hi there,

I just want to express how frustrating that power move is as I think impossible to get any rewards.

As most of us work from morning until afternoon, exactly that is the time 4-7pm when we get home, after work and school.

As a lone parent it's very important to give a meal, and warmth for my son specifically at this time 4-7pm as he goes to bed after that.

This move was made impossible to achieve specially for parents or those who work between those times and earn rewards.

Thanks,

Szabina 

Unfortunately, strictly speaking this is an idea for something that’s beyond OVO’s reasonable control.

OVO doesn’t specify the times for PMP events - they’re dictated by the National Grid DFS Scheme meaning there isn’t a team within OVO that can make any changes.

As for regular Power Move, the peak demand for the 4pm to 7pm slot is exactly why Power Move exists - to encourage folks to switch/move power outside those times.

In my personal view, there’s no scope to change that without basically destroying the whole point of the scheme.

@Bardi91 The Power Move Plus scheme is OVOs name for the National Grid DFS Demand Flexibility Service

You could send the contents of your post to them, together with any specific ideas for improvements

box.customerservice@nationalgrideso.com

You may find a few of the Power Move Plus events are outside the 4 till 7 slot. Or in a single hour in the 4 till 7 slot that you may be able to work with.

@Bardi91 the power move schemes aren’t for everyone. Rather you could think of it as a scheme to help keep the grid cleaner and greener, and most importantly running at peak times for users like you who can’t move their energy use.

It's apparent that the Power Move Plus does not work for participants in Power Move who are already reducing their usage during these times.

To maximize the reward if you’re taking part in both schemes, you should aim to run at a level just below the lower threshold, currently 11.5%. This might mean for some customers increasing their 4-7PM usage a bit. 

This will go against the grain for those of us who are patting ourselves on the back for getting well below the threshold. However, it means that you can probably get away with having the television on for at least some of the time, boiling the odd kettle and even zapping your evening meal in the microwave. It all depends on what you’re using the rest of the day on weekdays. 

This means keeping an eagle eye on half-hourly usage, e.g. by analysing the data in a spreadsheet. It might well be worth it for the mathematically minded, but there will be many left cold by the very idea.

This chart shows what my own performance looks like just now. It illustrates that I’m not following my own advice: the red worm is far too far below the green ones, and the percentage by month-end is heading towards 4.5. 

Really helpful stuff @Firedog!

Only £1this time for the hour 

Keep us posted with how you get on @Lucky2 😊

Just to make you feel better:

@Emmanuelle_OVO I didn't take part in this one as it was only a £1.

@FiredogYou're a winner - don't spend it all at once

Was invited to join Power Move Plus but my first target has been set at 0.1kw. This would entail switching everything off except the socket pilot light on my boiler! Furthermore as I only use between 0.2 and 0.3 kw during the 6-7 pm target period set, any benefit I'd receive wouldn't even pay for a candle!!

Can't see any incentive at all in this add on scheme as the target algorithms seem ill thought out. I won't be taking part.