Skip to main content

Join the Community Power Project for Lawrence Weston

Want to know more?

We’re inviting OVO customers who live in Lawrence Weston to our Community Power Project trial. You’ll be rewarded with energy credit for using electricity on windy days when your local turbine is generating lots of power. The trial will run from April to August this year.

Interested but not yet an OVO customer? Sign up today. 

We want to connect renewable generators with the people that live nearby. And every time they use this cleaner, greener electricity, we think they should be rewarded. For helping to change the future of the grid.

We believe that together, we can make energy work for people and the planet. 

By using locally generated renewable energy, you're helping to make that happen. And so is everyone in your community who made that choice. 

How do the rewards work?

• Weather check

You get a text to tell you when your wind turbine is expected to generate lots of clean, green electricity. 

• Get rewarded

Use your electricity as normal, or shift some of your everyday usage. It’s your choice. We’ll add 15p energy credit to your account for every unit (kWh) used. 

• Congratulations

You’ve saved on your bills – and helped make the UK a little greener by using electricity when your turbine is supplying the most power to the grid.

Can I take part? 

This Community Power Project is a trial, so right now it’s only open to OVO customers with a BS11 postcode. You’ll also need:

• A smart meter set to half hourly smart meter readings
  • To share your mobile phone number with us to get Windy Day alerts
  • To agree to be sent info and updates about the project

If that’s you, sign up today. And feel free to share it with your eligible friends and family.

If you're eligible to join you'll get an invitation by email or post. If you don't receive an invitation you can call us on 0333 034 1575 to check and we'll send out a sign up form to get started.

If you change your mind you can cancel at any time by giving our team a call on 0333 034 1575.

If you’ve not yet got a smart meter but you’d like to get one, check out this handy Forum tutorial:

Any questions? You can read the full terms and conditions here. Visit our landing page here for more information and FAQs.

We'll be running a pop up event on 5 March at the Lawrence Weston Youth Centre, Long Cross, BS11 0RX.

If your questions haven’t been answered in the FAQs, please comment below on this topic and we’ll be happy to help.

Hi @Rob Hainey, welcome to the group. 

Are you a participant of this Community Power Project with OVO? 

Welcome!

The name’s 186, Blastoise186. I’m not part of the project myself, but as one of the Forum Volunteers I help to run the show here. Feel free to say hi to the others too if you see them! I’m not a Forum Moderator myself, so if you have moderation related questions, please direct those towards Tim and Emmanuelle as they’re best placed to help with those. Likewise, I don’t work for OVO so everything I post is as myself in a personal capacity.

You’ll recognise a Forum Volunteer as we’ll usually have either Carbon Catcher or Plan Zero Hero ranks. But others are welcome to help out too - so please feel free. :)

However, if you have questions about the way the forum works or about the project itself, definitely feel free to ask one of us and if we can help you with an answer, we will.

If you’d like to get my attention at anytime, feel free to mention me with @Blastoise186 and this will generate an alert for me to pick up. I also patrol the Forum on a daily basis, so I’ll probably notice your question either way.