Solved

Don't want excess Solar to charge the car, neither do I want to discharge the battery to meet the load?

• 6 October 2023
  • 2 replies

Ovo supplied and fitted my solar and EV charger. I benefit from 10p EV charging and 20p SEG. Financially it makes sense to always charge the car from the grid.

I do not want excess solar to charge the car, neither do I want to discharge the battery to meet the load.

The positioning of CT clamps means that the GivEnergy Inverter will see the draw from the EV. I was initially advised that if I moved the Solar CT clamp the other side of the EV consumer unit and Henley block the inverter would not see the EV. GivEnergy informed me that this would affect operation and advised against it.

Because Charge Anytime does not use the native Indra Pro App I cannot delay charging the car until after dark and after battery has fully discharged to the house demand in the evening post sun down. The moment I plug the car in I can only set a “ready by” time eg 0700.

I want to be able to plug the car in at a convenient time with a delay function eg “don’t start  charge until after 11pm but ready by 7am”

Supplementary questions:

1. If I don’t set up micro generation in Indra Smart Pro then charger will always use grid. Where does the excess solar go if car is charging during solar generation? 
  2. If battery is discharging to meet a load which includes home and EV how does OVO unscramble use of correct tariffs? Does the amount fed to car as monitored by Indra get charged at 10p and this kWh figure is then deducted from the overall consumption figure (which would be less due to the portion that the battery met)

If 2 above is a correct assumption then I should be able to plug in after dark and not worry about battery SOC because I will be charged correctly for charging at 10p and home consumption at my normal tariff?

hope that makes sense!

icon

Best answer by BPLightlog 6 October 2023, 09:29

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @rnclapp , you might want to ask the team smarthome@ovoenergy.com as it looks like you’re needing some inside info. 
From what I’m aware of, Charge Anytime need a flexible charging scheme to make best use of the green energy slots so restricting the time with a ‘don’t start before’ might mean that your EV wouldn’t reach your target charge by your ‘ready by’ time. 
The Indra tech (I believe) calculates the different inputs (solar and grid) as it’s only using their chargers that you can use CA and solar. 
Hope you get some answers to your questions 

Hi @rnclapp , you might want to ask the team smarthome@ovoenergy.com as it looks like you’re needing some inside info. 
From what I’m aware of, Charge Anytime need a flexible charging scheme to make best use of the green energy slots so restricting the time with a ‘don’t start before’ might mean that your EV wouldn’t reach your target charge by your ‘ready by’ time. 
The Indra tech (I believe) calculates the different inputs (solar and grid) as it’s only using their chargers that you can use CA and solar. 
Hope you get some answers to your questions 

Thank you for the prompt response. I have emailed smarthome.