Solved

Supply switched to EDF without my permission! Who do I pay?

• 12 February 2023
  • 14 replies

My question is this? An electricity supplier EDF illegally transferred me to him for the period from 13.12.2022 - 24.01.23, "EDF Energy customers limited won’t charge you anything for your time with them" but OVO will charge me for this time of period with them.

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 12 February 2023, 17:18

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 12/09/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Hi @CHOKSI ,

In the event of an Erroneous Transfer, you do still have to pay the actual supplier, but the incorrect one won’t charge you. Your actual supplier won’t allow the other one to charge for that period to avoid a double-charge.

More info at 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @CHOKSI

1. What date did you tell EDF an Erroneous transfer had target place?

2. What date did you tell OVO an Erroneous transfer had taken place?

3. What date did OVO agree an Erroneous transfer had taken place?

4. What date did EDF agree an Erroneous transfer had taken place? 

As a minimum you are entitled to £30 compensation from EDF under the ofgem rules. They should have paid that automatically within 10 days of agreeing an Erroneous transfer had taken place. If they didn't, they have to pay another £30, making £60 in total. 

There are triggers for further compensation from either OVO or EDF if they take too long. You can find further information on the citizens advise website. Just make sure you claim what you are entitled to, and if they don't pay within 10 days, claim another £30.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/problems-with-your-energy-supply/youve-been-switched-to-a-new-energy-supplier-without-your-agreement/

Hi Blastoise186. Ok if you say I will pay it,can you tell me how my supplier know how much energy I use for this period? My bill is coming 4 day of the month and I was not with them 40 days?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Meter readings. :)

Except, in this situation, it’s calculated based on meter readings you submit once you’re back on your actual supplier.

So you saying that EDF give my readings to OVO, because when you change to new supplier your meter start from 0?:)

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Not quite. In an ET situation, you give the meter readings to your original supplier once the account moves back.

In all other cases, the meter readings continue on the new supplier where the old one left off - it never goes back to zero but they use the transfer reading as the “new zero”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

.., but they use the transfer reading as the “new zero”.

Or new reference point maybe

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yeah, that works too. Probably closer to the actual term as well. :)

It is important to note that solving an Erroneous Transfer does take a while because both suppliers (and a bunch of other industry processes) have to agree that an ET has happened and then work together to fix it. Usually takes up to 12 weeks to resolve if memory serves.

What is also true is that in cases where the ET was caused by fraud, you definitely won’t be liable for anything that happens in relation to the fraudulent account. It’ll just get terminated as part of the recovery process and you won’t need to worry about it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Interestingly under the revised Ofgem rules OVO have only 21 working days to switch a customer back and reregister once they know an Erroneous transfer has occurred. 12 weeks doesn't cut it now with ofgem. 

Then an automatic £30 compensation should kick in. If not paid within 10 days another £30 kicks in.

I have helped others claim this.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/problems-with-your-energy-supply/youve-been-switched-to-a-new-energy-supplier-without-your-agreement/

The limits are quite challenging i suspect.

I suspect a lot of customers are not aware of the various automatic compensation payments that are available for Erroneous transfers, missing appointments, being cut off with PAYG meters. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Oooh, thanks for that! Not sure how I missed that change! :(

Ooooh and 6,000 comments now! Woohoo!

Userlevel 7

Hey @Jeffus,

I checked on this with some experts internally and this was the response:

The new Guaranteed Standards introduced apply in the following situations:

• When a customer reports a potential erroneous switch, the customer will receive a standard payment of £30 from each supplier if they are unable to agree within 20 working days whether an erroneous switch has occurred;
  • The customer will receive £30 from the contacted supplier if they fail to return the 20 Working Day Letter as required by the Erroneous Transfer Customer Charter within 20 working days;
  • An erroneously switched customer will receive £30 from their old supplier if they fail to re-register the customer within 21 working days; and
  • Where a switch has been completed, customers will receive a payment of £30 if suppliers fail to return a credit balance within 10 working days of issue of a final bill.

The 12-18 weeks timeframe refers to how long it actually takes for the whole process to complete.  For example, we need to accept and re-register within 21 days, then it could potentially take up to 18 weeks for all the industry information to be receive correctly and billing to recommence.

Hope this helps clarify. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

The new Guaranteed Standards introduced apply in the following situations:

• When a customer reports a potential erroneous switch, the customer will receive a standard payment of £30 from each supplier if they are unable to agree within 20 working days whether an erroneous switch has occurred;
  • The customer will receive £30 from the contacted supplier if they fail to return the 20 Working Day Letter as required by the Erroneous Transfer Customer Charter within 20 working days;
  • An erroneously switched customer will receive £30 from their old supplier if they fail to re-register the customer within 21 working days; and
  • Where a switch has been completed, customers will receive a payment of £30 if suppliers fail to return a credit balance within 10 working days of issue of a final bill.

The 12-18 weeks timeframe refers to how long it actually takes for the whole process to complete.  For example, we need to accept and re-register within 21 days, then it could potentially take up to 18 weeks for all the industry information to be receive correctly and billing to recommence.

Thanks @Emmanuelle_OVO 

I suggest customers refer to the citizens advice website and contact the citizens advice if they have any specific questions. Probably best to get independent advice on these sorts of things in my experience? I am no expert. 

I didn't see any reference to it being OK to wait 18 weeks for billing on the Citizens Advice website or the statutory instrument on gov.uk when i just looked at it. Nor the Ofgem website

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications/supplier-guaranteed-standards-performance-switching-second-phase-final-decision-and-statutory-instrument

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications/customers-entitled-automatic-compensation-switching-problems-1-may

@Emmanuelle_OVO can you provide link to the ofgem site or gov.uk where the 18 week timeframe is stated for billing? I am not doubting you, i just can't see it anywhere. Thanks as always.

It would help if customers could see where this 18 weeks for billing  was stated by the authorities on a customer facing website.

Also can you provide a link to where re registering is defined on the ofgem or gov.uk site so customers know exactly what to expect within the time frame, what will and what won't be done within those 21 days you mentioned. I can't see anything where billing is omitted, but I may have missed it.

Sorry your reply has resulted in more questions rather than clarification 😊

Thanks as always . 

Userlevel 7

Hi @Jeffus,

It’s very likely that industry time frames like this aren’t specified in customer facing resources. After all, based on the information Emmanuelle got from the internal teams working on faster switching and erroneous transfers, the customer will have their account and their credit returned to their correct supplier and can can carry on paying them as if nothing happened whilst the supply is actually returned behind the scenes. 

Either way I won’t be able to comment on the information on sites such as Citizens Advice or Ofgem. As always if we have provided information that is out of date, we will update it for every instance. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Tim_OVO 

Fair comments. Don't comment on other organisations websites. 

1. On the Erroneous Transfer page on the OVO website it says

• These issues are usually fixed within 25 days, but can sometimes take up to 12 weeks.

This doesn't seem consistent with the 12 to 18 weeks, but perhaps i am just being awkward. Interested in your thoughts. 

2. Can you give me OVOs definition of what the customer should have after the 21 days. What is included in OVOs interpretation of "Re Register" that is the trigger for automated compensation. 

I honestly don't know what the OVO interpretation of that "re registered" state is, as it clearly isn't what I expected. 

Can you give some bullet points or description of what a customer should expect as a minimum that if not met would trigger an automated OVO refund without them asking. 

I think OVO must have written something down somewhere for the OVO automatic trigger to work? The customer isn't meant to have to apply for this. I don't expect you to quote from another website. 

Is that a reasonable request?