Skip to main content

Dear Ovo Team, 

We started our contract with OVO on 23-11-2022 and the initial reading sent was 69108 taken on 25-11-2022.  However, the last reading updated on your system shows 63871. We moved into this apartment on 28-10-2022 and the reading was 68719, again confirmed by our lending agent. (At the time we were with SSE). There is a discrepancy of around 5000 units for which we are not liable and but we were charged with November bill which became as £1936.09. I have contacted Ovo several time during december and january, they never takes action, just give me promises.  After many calls and emails, they told me they are opening the meter reading dispute. I waited for a long time but didn't get any response. Then I again sent an email, and I got a call back from them, saying they will open a meter reading dispute and this time I got confirmation through email. Even though 12 weeks have passed, I didn't get my meter reading corrected or gotten any response from them. 

Vasan

Thanks for coming back to update us, @awills61.

I can see you’ve already got a chat going with our Forum_Support team. Hopefully we can help. 

Thanks for the reply, @FrancesNM. You may consider calling Citizens Advice for support on how to tackle this with your landlord: 0808 223 1133.

Once you know how much of the charges you’ll be paying, our Support team are on hand to agree a payment plan with you: 0330 303 5063 ​​​​​​. 

By the way, I am a little concerned by some of the things you’ve mentioned, which trigger some of my other duties.

You might want to get your local fire service to do a Home Fire Safety Visit. You can head over to https://www.safelincs.co.uk/hfsc to do it online (the form will link to the one for your area) or call the Prevention Department of your local fire service and they’ll help you out.

It’s a completely free service that can help check things over and potentially make the house a bit safer.

Well it’s currently with billing as a high priority  issue so I’ll gave to wait ( or hope) for them to get in touch. 

Well billing didn’t get in touch so I had another web chat and was informed it was fixed and that an interim bill would be produced and everything would be corrected. Interim bill produced today, dated 3-5th of October for some reason, and nothing has changed. Still overcharged and no nearer a solution and no idea where to go from here except ombudsman when 8 weeks is up.

My issue seems to have been fixed for now. It was fixed a few weeks ago but reverted back within a week of that fix.

So, when we migrated over from SSE to OVO, despite having a smart meter, an estimate was taken for April of £2715. No joke.

We barely used £95 throughout spring and summer but have been paying £231 since last winter, meaning we should be well in credit going into this winter.

instead, they are saying we are in debt and our direct debit needs to go up to £524!! 
I have called countless times and made a complaint and asked people to look into this error - it’s plain to see on my readings- and still nothing has happened. In fact, they closed my complaint without ever contacting me or doing anything at all.

At my wits end and would love to hear if someone has actually had their issues successfully resolved?

All I will say is good luck!

In the 3 months since I was fully migrated from SSE it has been one mistake after another.  They wiped my credit out with an incorrect bill which I had to fight for 2 months.  I thought I had successfully resolved it.  Got my credit back plus £100 compensation.  All good I thought.

Logged in yesterday to have a look at my account and yet again a totally fictitious bill has been produced saying I’ve used 4000 units in a month and wiping out most of my credit again.

You really couldn’t make it up. I am at my wit’s end with them.

So, when we migrated over from SSE to OVO, despite having a smart meter, an estimate was taken for April of £2715. No joke.

We barely used £95 throughout spring and summer but have been paying £231 since last winter, meaning we should be well in credit going into this winter.

instead, they are saying we are in debt and our direct debit needs to go up to £524!! 
I have called countless times and made a complaint and asked people to look into this error - it’s plain to see on my readings- and still nothing has happened. In fact, they closed my complaint without ever contacting me or doing anything at all.

At my wits end and would love to hear if someone has actually had their issues successfully resolved?

Hi @Connected76 

Sorry to hear about the issues

I am just a customer like you

If OVO have simply closed the complaint and you are not happy with the resolution, then I personally would simply go to the Energy Ombudsman and ask them to take over your case if you haven't already 

https://www.energyombudsman.org/

You need to give them as much information as possible including copies of correspondence, dates and times you have contacted OVO etc

OVO are not allowed to simply close a case, they have to check you are happy with any resolution or issue a deadlock letter.

OVO have been investigated recently for their handling of complaints 

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications/ofgem-opens-compliance-engagement-respect-ovos-complaints-handling-process

Exactly the same problem here - enormous ‘Balance Adjustment’ charge, no further information, complaint raised, no further correspondence despite numerous contacts on my part, and at one point the helpline claimed the complaint had been closed.

Looking at the above post it looks like this is a definite pattern and the ombudsman is the only option.  I’ve never encountered a customer complaints service that will not engage in this way, especially given the large sums of money involved.