Solved

Moving into new house, how do I set up my account?

• 24 December 2018
  • 82 replies

Show first post

82 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I can help with that! Try https://findmysupplier.energy . :)

Hello everyone, I have moved in today to my new rented flat. I called OVO today to create my new account but they said that my account cannot be created as the existing account needs to be cancelled first. My letting agent later informed me that perhaps “Help the move” haven’t informed OVO about this and this might be done in couple of days. Should I wait for this or should I get in touch with “Help the move” to expediate the process?

Second question is that my letting agent doesn’t know what kind of smart meter is installed at the property. Since I have moved here from overseas, I wasn’t sure either. With little research, I think it’s SMETS2. Today the meter has moved almost 5 units and says “Credit Mode Bal 4.50 (in the morning it was around 2.5) . Is this a post pay meter or prepaid?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Dr. Seemi 

I answer to one of your questions, you can use this tool to see if you have a SMETS2 meter.

https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Thanks. Any idea what does “Credit Mode Bal 4.5” means?

Hi all, it been one month i landed on United Kingdom and got welcome kit letter from ovo energy.

While setup ovo account with provided account no. I am getting error "something went wrong" . 

Also i connect with Ovo support team on call and they mention it's website issue and will resolve in 1 week but still i am not able to create account.

Kindly help me out .

I have recently moved in to a rental that is already supplied by OVO. I have never been a customer before so have tried to set up an account.

I have received a link to activate said account and a page shows up asking me to input more details. One of the required details is ‘OVO account number’. Obviously I do not have an account number, I am trying to set up an account as a new customer?

I have no way of contacting the previous tenant and the landlord will not ask or this on my behalf. There has been no letters left behind and the emails I have received do not include an account number, although OVO states that every email does include this?? I cannot get in contact with anyone at OVO and cannot set up my account without this number according to the website. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @laurenwilletts and welcome to this customer forum. 
You will need to set up another account as you can’t simply take over the previous one. 
Being bank holiday they are not there today but you may need to get in touch with customer support. 
This post might help

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Alternatively, have you tried https://switch.ovoenergy.com by any chance?

Thank you both for the responses.  @Blastoise186 @BPLightlog 

I have tried to set up a new account, that is when I am running into this issue. Seem to be stuck in a loop - cant activate my account without an account number, but cant get an account number without activating the account. 

Been trying to get in touch since Thursday but no luck. Also tried using the switch option but same again. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Riteshkush,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

If you’re unable to set up an account online, please call our Support Team on 0330 303 5063. They can set up your new account over the phone. We have a great Tutorial that might be helpful: 

Userlevel 6

Hey @laurenwilletts 

Sorry to hear you’re not getting anywhere setting up your new account. Have you managed to get the account set up yet? You’ll need your own, new account with your own account number in order to access the online account.

If you’re still no further forward getting an account, give this link another try: https://switch.ovoenergy.com/ 

Alternatively, you can call the Support Team on 0330 303 5063 , who’ll be able to set up the account with you over the phone. They’ll just take your details and you’ll have your own, new account.

Hello everyone, I need some help with my Ovo account move/migration. Basically it still hasn’t happened one year on. 

I moved home last year June 2022 and the previous owner said they used Ovo for gas/electricity. So I carried this on. Had a letter from Ovo addressed to the owner/occupier and set up a direct debit with my bank for payments. A payment was made to Ovo in July 2022 for the period of June-July 2022. 

After this, I realised around October 2022 that there was no direct debit coming out of my account. Called Ovo to get this sorted, they said they were migrating my account over and will be in touch. Whilst this was going on I’ve been receiving lots of letters in the previous owners name to my property. Passed these letters on to the previous owner who said Ovo are sending debt collection letters in his name to my new address, as the bill payments are from the date I moved in til the present time. 

Jan this year, Ovo sent another letter in the previous owners name, but on the letter it stated something along the lines of “if the person who this is addressed to no longer lives here, please call this number”. Called the number to explain I’ve been the owner of the property since June 2022. This was Ovo’s debt collection team.

Called Ovo on a monthly basis since then asking about the migration process/issues  and always get a different excuse as to why it’s not happened, they also asked for proof of move documents recently, which I supplied. I am also registered to the Priority Services Register due to disability.

My online account/app has not worked since the beginning so I cannot see my energy usage - ‘a problem has occurred’ every time I’ve logged in. They also have four account numbers listed on my account, none linked. 

I managed to speak to someone at Ovo in May, who made a bit of progress by setting up a direct debit, but they managed to set up two direct debits. 

Now there is a balance to pay and I don’t have an issue with paying this, but Ovo still has not sent a single bill/statement/acknowledgment letter to me in my name and it’s been over a year! I can only assume the double direct debit is to clear the back payment. Last time I spoke to Ovo about this, they said they will investigate the matter. I’ve never had the opportunity to choose a tariff with Ovo and the whole experience with them has left me extremely frustrated and dissatisfied. 

Could anyone help with what I should be doing next? As I’m pretty fed up dealing with Ovo agents over the phone. I also tried via webchat and they diverted me to the migration team. 

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Draper and welcome to this customer forum. Your post sounds a difficult situation but as this forum is mainly other customers and no one has access to your account it will be difficult for any direct help to occur. 
Much of OVO’s content is online including bills and so it may be that getting that part set up will be the best route forward for you. It sounds like you have details of the customer support team but you probably need more focused help. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hello everyone, I need some help with my Ovo account move/migration. Basically it still hasn’t happened one year on. 

I moved home last year June 2022 and the previous owner said they used Ovo for gas/electricity. So I carried this on. Had a letter from Ovo addressed to the owner/occupier and set up a direct debit with my bank for payments. A payment was made to Ovo in July 2022 for the period of June-July 2022. 

After this, I realised around October 2022 that there was no direct debit coming out of my account. Called Ovo to get this sorted, they said they were migrating my account over and will be in touch. Whilst this was going on I’ve been receiving lots of letters in the previous owners name to my property. Passed these letters on to the previous owner who said Ovo are sending debt collection letters in his name to my new address, as the bill payments are from the date I moved in til the present time. 

Jan this year, Ovo sent another letter in the previous owners name, but on the letter it stated something along the lines of “if the person who this is addressed to no longer lives here, please call this number”. Called the number to explain I’ve been the owner of the property since June 2022. This was Ovo’s debt collection team.

Called Ovo on a monthly basis since then asking about the migration process/issues  and always get a different excuse as to why it’s not happened, they also asked for proof of move documents recently, which I supplied. I am also registered to the Priority Services Register due to disability.

My online account/app has not worked since the beginning so I cannot see my energy usage - ‘a problem has occurred’ every time I’ve logged in. They also have four account numbers listed on my account, none linked. 

I managed to speak to someone at Ovo in May, who made a bit of progress by setting up a direct debit, but they managed to set up two direct debits. 

Now there is a balance to pay and I don’t have an issue with paying this, but Ovo still has not sent a single bill/statement/acknowledgment letter to me in my name and it’s been over a year! I can only assume the double direct debit is to clear the back payment. Last time I spoke to Ovo about this, they said they will investigate the matter. I’ve never had the opportunity to choose a tariff with Ovo and the whole experience with them has left me extremely frustrated and dissatisfied. 

Could anyone help with what I should be doing next? As I’m pretty fed up dealing with Ovo agents over the phone. I also tried via webchat and they diverted me to the migration team. 

Thanks

Hi @Draper 

I am just a customer like you. 

Sorry to hear that terrible story. It is truly shocking for any customer, but particularly someone on the Priority Service Register.

There is no excuse for it taking over a year.

I have flagged the OVO moderators in case they wish to comment before i make some other suggestions. 

Userlevel 6

Hey @Draper 

I’m really sorry to hear about the issues you’ve been having getting an account set up, that’s really not the experience we want you to have. 

I’m going to get our Forum Support Team to reach out to you and see how they can assist you further on this matter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Draper keep an eye out on this page for a message

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/inbox/overview

If you post how you get on i am sure it will help other customers

Hello everyone, thank you for your replies and understanding of my situation. Very heart warming to read the replies. 

Ovo_Forum_Support has messaged me since privately, asking for account details, so will provide this and see what happens. I will keep the thread updated as best as I can. Also received an Ovo letter today, again in the previous owners name….I must have had 20+ of these now. 

Many thanks once again. 

Hi everyone, thought I would update this thread. Partially sorted but still a few ongoing concerns.

So progress was made after posting up my issue with account set up here, where Ovo forum support reached out via direct messaging on the same day and sorted out the online account - I had online access and could view my bills! All that was left to do was set up a direct debit and clear 1 year’s worth of bills….

Called the Ovo support team to set up a DD last week, which they did after giving my details. Logged online later that evening to the Ovo app and noticed a new account had been created where the DD was set up to! 

Reached out to the forum support again to inform them of what’s happened, they cancelled the DD on the new wrong account. Two days later I received a welcome letter/pack from Ovo (first letter ive received from Ovo addressed to me after 1 year) with the new wrong account details! 

Why oh why is this so hard to sort….I have reached out to Ovo forum support again to ensure this new wrong account is closed as there is a bill for this month generated. 

There is also one payment that I made to Ovo to be traced when I moved in last year as it has not been credited to my account that I cant see, but they have credited the couple of DD payments made to the correct account.

Userlevel 6

Hi @Draper 

I’m really sorry to hear this is still an ongoing matter. 

The Forum Support will be looking into this and will message you as soon as possible.

Me move to home old costumers to bill Cheng name I will pay next bill bill attached my name 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You need to set up your own account first.

https://switch.ovoenergy.com .

Hi

I’m trying to set up an account with OVO having just moved to a new flat. OVO is apparently the supplier here. I want to set up a new pay on demand variable account. The online system doesn’t let me. Tried phoning and waited for ages but the guy on the other end couldn’t seem to hear me and put the phone down on me! I’m getting fed up trying now. Any suggestions?

Louise

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Try Live Chat via https://ovoenergy.com/help .

Otherwise, the easiest option is to set up a Direct Debit account online at https://switch.ovoenergy.com .

Try Live Chat via https://ovoenergy.com/help .

Otherwise, the easiest option is to set up a Direct Debit account online at https://switch.ovoenergy.com .

Thanks - I don’t want to set up a direct debit account. I’ve tried the live chat but I just get a bot which doesn’t help :(

Why do they make it so difficult for a potential new customer?

Louise

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Pay On-Demand incurs more risk for both you and OVO, so they need to talk to you to make sure you understand that risk.

Additionally, Pay On-Demand costs you around £200 a year more than the same tariff paid by Direct Debit.

If, despite this, you still want to pay this way, use the keyword “agent” to get past the bot on Live Chat or try the phone again.