Solved

Incomplete switch/transfer - what can I do if I'm being charged by 2 suppliers for gas at the same time?

• 8 August 2023
  • 13 replies

I applied online OVO website to transfer BOTH my electricity and gas from my previous supplier to OVO.

After transfer/switch date I assumed everything to be fine. However logging into OVO website to check my account was still in “pending setup” stage.

After 2-3 weeks I wanted to confirm my switch was successful. However my previous supplier says they are still supplying my GAS.

After speaking with OVO online chat they finally activated my online account (because I was in credit with the direct debit on the first day of switch).

Now I see that I am being charged by OVO GAS standing charge. I am also being charged GAS by my previous supplier.

Is this right? How can OVO charge me GAS if they are not supplying me GAS?

Also, at no point was I informed of any problems by both suppliers.

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 9 August 2023, 09:31

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7

Updated on 28/06/24 by Shads_OVO

Hey @chengyukchen,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community,

When a customer signs up to OVO during the sign up process we send them an email to confirm their meter serial numbers. I’d advise checking the meter serial number we are now supplying and seeing if it is different to the one your previous supplier say they are still supplying. If it’s different, this means we may have taken over the wrong supply.

I’d advise contacting our Support Team to look into this for you, they should be able to see the notes on your account and if there are any issues with the switch. 

Please keep us posted and this will help other customers in a similar situation. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @chengyukchen

You should have had a welcome email from ovo. That would have had the mpan numbers ovo were going to use looking at my welcome email

You could also now check on this page now you say your online account is activated. Hopefully the serial numbers and mpan numbers will be there by now. 

https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan

You could compare with the actual serial numbers and mpan numbers from your previous supplier on your bills.

You should also be able to see the serial numbers on the actual meter. 

Hi, thanks for your replies.

Yes, I did get a welcome email, with BOTH my serial/ID numbers for my gas & electricity meters. Yes both were correct and match what I have.

I was specifically told by live chat that “somewhere” my gas didn’t transfer over properly.

I wasn’t notified about any problems and only found out 1 month later when I asked my previous supplier for CREDIT refund. They refused because they said they still supply my gas.

Now my gas has been transferred after I brought this issue to attention of OVO. I emailed OVO for correction to the gas standing charge. OVO support replies describing me how transfers work and they await a meter reading from the previous supplier.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

There are also legal time limits for switching.

These are on the ofgem website.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/switch-supplier-or-energy-tariff

Switch completes within 15 working days.

£30 by new supplier

This is  a screenshot of what ofgem say is the current law effective 1 May 2019. 

Ofgem also say:

"You won’t need to do anything if suppliers breach a standard and spot the issue. Compensation is automatic. You can report a claim too.

Suppliers have 10 working days from a breach to pay you. They could owe a further £30 if they don’t meet this timeline. Ofgem monitors supplier data to make sure they do this.

If you think an issue isn’t fixed or you haven’t been compensated, it’s best to contact your supplier to tell them. If you aren’t happy with their response then make a complaint. "

So I would check the dates and put in a claim if appropriate. If you post how you get on I am sure it will help others. 

Okay update.

Changeover date was suppose to be 19 July. However Octopus (prev. supplier) was still supplying GAS side up to 8 August (~20 days worth).

Octopus charged me 20 days which I had to pay.

It’s now 5-6 months since I’ve joined OVO. OVO still has not refunded me the standing charge for gas between 19 July - 8 Aug.

So effectively I had to pay gas standing charge TWICE, to two different energy suppliers for the exact same time frame.

I sent a complaint to OVO email (about 2 times) 1-2 months ago. No replies.

I now have no choice but to submit complaint to Energy Ombudsman

Userlevel 6

Hey @chengyukchen 

I’m really sorry to hear about this.

I’d suggest checking in with the Support Team about that complaint before contacting the Ombudsman as I’m sure the team would like to be able to resolve the matter themselves. If it has been more than 8 weeks since the complaint was raised, you’re more than entitled to get in touch with the Ombudsman. Check out the complaints homepage for more on this: https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback.

Do let us know how you get on.

Hello

I moved energy supplier, leaving Ovo an the 31st March 2024

Ovo took direct debit payments from me on 1st April and 1st May.

Are they legally allowed to do this ?  Considering at the time I had no contract with them

Thanks

john

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

It happened to me as well. I switched on the 6th March and a DD was taken on the 22nd March. You can actually close the DD mandate at any time (but not before you have switched) but then Ovo won’t have any means of crediting your account with any balance in your favour.

In my case they debited the normal monthly amount from my account (22nd), calculated the final payment for the energy used up to the 5th March and then credited my account on the 2nd April with the balance. As long as the DD mandate remains in force then it is legal for Ovo to debit and credit your account as necessary BUT after the final bill has been presented showing a zero balance then there should be no further transactions and you can then safely instruct the bank to cancel the mandate.

Peter

It’s 6 weeks since I left and they are telling me it will be two more weeks before I get the final bill.  I have no choice but to stop the DD as they have taken £1100 from me already.

I dont think they have any legal right to use a direct debit mandate to take my money without having a reason.  Taking the routine monthly payment for an account which is closed is not a reason.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

When I switched at the end of last year, once my switch had gone through I cancelled my direct debit.

As you might expect, I got some (probably automated) messages telling me to set one up again but of course I didn’t.

The final bill did arrive just after 5 weeks after the switch and my credit balance landed in my bank account - just because the DD is not in place, they do still have your bank details so that should not be a problem.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hey @jpbourke,

I’m sorry to hear that you left. We have a full guide on what happens when leaving OVO

Normally your Direct Debit is left active during the switch so that we can return any credit balance to you once your final bill has been produced. It would also help in scenarios where a customer cancels the switch during the cooling off period. This ensures we can get you back on supply with minimal disruption. Of course you can always cancel your Direct Debit as @BPLightlog has pointed out and once the final bill has been produced, settle this as a one off payment or if a credit balance is on the account a cheque would be sent to you. 

I hope this helps 😊

Can you please show me where in the guide it says that I will be charged my monthly rate after I have left ?

or can you show me in your contract where it says I will be charged my monthly rate after I have left.

It’s over six weeks since I left and I am told that Ovo have no estimate for when I will get my final bill.  This means that had I not cancelled the direct debit on my side, you would take another payment in June.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hey @jpbourke

I would suggest reaching out to our Support Team who can check the account for you and give you more information on when the final bill will be available. 

When it comes to Direct Debit payments, unless you instruct the cancellation of the mandate, the Direct Debit payments will continue as normal as they are an automated process. When the account is closed, we will take responsibility for cancelling this and, as the guide states, refund any credit balance that was left on the account.