Solved

I'm a landlord, not named on the account- But the property needs a meter exchange

My Outgoing tenant advised Ovo that the meter does not work 3 months ago

The seals are missing too

The tenant has now  left I can not get a final reading

I will not be able to do a reading for the new tenant 

I have spoken to 3 ovo staff but none can get an engineer to come out and fix the meter.

If I create an  account in my name as they asked they will charge me 

I am sure Ovo have a legal responsibility to have an emergency number for faulty and possible tampered meters. None of the staff even know who to escalate the issue to.

Currently I left it for the person I spoke to find the right department and get it sorted.

Good luck ovo,glad I'm not a customer 

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 24 April 2023, 09:36

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi,

As the Landlord, you’ll need to set up a temporary Landlord Account to cover the time period between your outgoing tenant leaving and someone else moving in OR you sell the property, whichever comes first. You can do that via OVO Support.

As for your other issue… Try 105 as the DNO might be able to help to at least make things safe.

The DNO state it is Ovo's responsibility 

As the outgoing tenant made this request 3 months ago and its the tenant that needs a reading, he has been on estimates for 4 years.

The new Tenant is already in.

no incoming ready can be done

she may not want to go with Ovo

I don't need to create an account to report this issue 

Thanks for the suggestions though 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

The DNO state it is Ovo's responsibility 

As the outgoing tenant made this request 3 months ago and its the tenant that needs a reading, he has been on estimates for 4 years.

The new Tenant is already in.

no incoming ready can be done

she may not want to go with Ovo

I don't need to create an account to report this issue 

Thanks for the suggestions though 

Hi @Clintt21 

1. Was there a time period between the old tenant moving out at the new tenant moving in?

2. The new tenant will be an OVO customer until a switch to a new supplier is completed. 

Hi Jeffus

The point is that the meter does not work

So the old tenant does not have an accurate reading nor can the new tenant

The bit in the middle is a technicality as there are no readings.

Yes the new tenant will be an ovo customer  but at changeover they will need a reading,

Which can't happen till ovo fix the meter !

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’ve flagged up this thread to get a second opinion on something backstage. Please bear with us.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Jeffus

The point is that the meter does not work

So the old tenant does not have an accurate reading nor can the new tenant

The bit in the middle is a technicality as there are no readings.

Yes the new tenant will be an ovo customer  but at changeover they will need a reading,

Which can't happen till ovo fix the meter !

Hi, 

We can all see the meter needs fixing, i didn't bother  commenting on that. There are other regular posters on the forum and the OVO moderators who know more about these things than me so i didn’t want to post something specific that may have been incorrect. 

I was just curious if there was a time period when the old tenant moved out and the new tenant moved in. It wasn't clear from your posts and you still haven't answered the question.

24 hours

Userlevel 7

Hey @Clintt21,

Sorry for the issues you’re having, it sounds like a stressful situation to be in. 

We can’t book an engineer appointment if an account isn’t in anyone's name. I think this may be the problem you are encountering. The new tenant can contact us, set up their account and we can get an appointment booked in. I’d also advise sending some photos across so our siteworks team can take a look at the issue. You would be liable for the period between tenants. 

The following topics might be helpful to you:

Keep us posted with how you get on.

Hi the account is still in the tenant's name *Edited by Mod*.

As he requested the issue months ago.It can be done in his name.

He said he is in credit £800 but has over 2 years of estimates. He remains an ovo customer at his new location. 

The new tenant is in and also cannot have a start reading. The 3 people I spoke to at Ovo,none could/would help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi the account is still in the tenant's name Shaz Abdul.

As he requested the issue months ago.It can be done in his name.

He said he is in credit £800 but has over 2 years of estimates. He remains an ovo customer at his new location. 

The new tenant is in and also cannot have a start reading. The 3 people I spoke to at Ovo,none could/would help!

You also need to register for the 24 hours there was no tenant anyway. So why not do that now and at the same time register the fault as you will have an account it can be tied to?

You have been told multiple times you need to register as an OVO customer for those 24 hours.

If you post on the forum when you have registered as a customer and logged the issues i am sure it will help other customers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

My Outgoing tenant advised Ovo that the meter does not work 3 months ago

The seals are missing too

The tenant has now  left I can not get a final reading

I will not be able to do a reading for the new tenant 

I have spoken to 3 ovo staff but none can get an engineer to come out and fix the meter.

If I create an  account in my name as they asked they will charge me 

I am sure Ovo have a legal responsibility to have an emergency number for faulty and possible tampered meters. None of the staff even know who to escalate the issue to.

Currently I left it for the person I spoke to find the right department and get it sorted.

Good luck ovo,glad I'm not a customer 

You could report the possible tampering you mentioned here

https://www.stayenergysafe.co.uk/

The service is run by crimestoppers

https://crimestoppers-uk.org/

Userlevel 7

Hey @Clintt21,

We have a webpage about meter tampering that might be helpful to you. It states:

If you'd rather not give us your details, visit the Crimestoppers supported stayenergysafe website or call them on 0800 023 2777

If you suspect a gas leak, leave the property and call the 24 hour National Gas Emergency hotline on 0800 111 999 immediately.

If the meter is faulty the named account holder needs to contact us to book in a faulty meter exchange free of charge. 

Thank you for your suggestions. 

I have passed it on to the new tenant to sort

As they have inherited the ovo  account 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The new tenant shouldn't be inheriting the OVO account. They need to set up a new account.