Solved

I'm a landlord. I've already told OVO my new tenants have moved in but I'm still being billed? Why?

• 19 September 2022
  • 48 replies

Show first post

48 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Should be!

Stop by this thread if you get stuck though. :)

Hi Blastoise, just tried to phone the number you advised and none of the three options were relevant but I hung on anyway which was the last option of being a vulnerable customer which I’m not. When it asked if I was a customer and if I was press 1 which I did (as I assume I am) and just pressed # as advised by you for the account number it wouldn’t accept this. There was no option to actually talk to someone.

I found a page on the website specifically for landlords to open interim accounts;

Got a period before the next tenancy starts? We’ll need to set up an account with you to cover the interim period. You can set-up a new account online here or by giving the Support team a call. 

However, when I clicked the link there was nothing for landlords it was just for people moving home, who already have accounts. 

I tried phoning through the Support Team link on the website and it is the same number you gave me………..

:-( 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Reluctant,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

We don’t have specific landlord accounts, all of our accounts are treated the same, you just need to follow the link and set up an interim account. When you call through don’t select you are a customer as your account hasn’t yet been set up. 

The easiest way to set up your account is through the link:

Got a period before the next tenancy starts? We’ll need to set up an account with you to cover the interim period. You can set-up a new account online here or by giving the Support team a call. 

Then when a new tenant moves in, you can select ‘moving home’ via your Online Account. We have a helpful FAQs on this topic:

Hi reluctant. Not read all the details but to let you know OVO are not easy to deal with. Spent day sorting out direct debit for vacant property start of year to now getting email to say they will be increasing DD to £80 per month to cover estimated annual usage!! Clearly not bothering to read meters or even ask for readings. Another thing to sort out which don’t need. Are there no other landlords in this situation? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

When I was a landlord at the point my tenants left I opened a new account as if I had moved in, using a different email address to my home ovo account. when the house was sold I followed the ‘moving out’ process, without giving a forwarding address. All worked fine.

Hi thanks juliamc

I’ve also set up new account and explained the situation and what was needed. To no avail it would seem. The tenant had OVO so thought keeping them would be simpler but not sure it is. If you don’t mind me asking how much was your monthly direct debit when property was empty?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I didn’t bother with direct debits as the bills were low, I just paid on demand.

The rate is a bit higher by not using dd but it was easier. I also got the EBSS payment straight into the account without the refunding palaver (October only as that’s when we sold). The bills were around £30 per month, over four and a half months.

Although there was a smart meter the gas was estimated so by the time my readings worked through the system I got a refund of my overpayment.

You have to stick with the existing supplier to start with.

Many thanks. Pretty sure I was told I couldn’t pay on demand otherwise would’ve set that up. Let’s see what another conversation with OVO brings 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Unless you’re on a fixed rate which requires you to pay by direct debit I think you can just cancel your dd at the bank and you automatically go to the pay on demand rate. Can someone confirm ??

For an average user it works out to about £200 more expensive per annum, but for a low user, eg a landlord, it’s much simpler to deal with.

Userlevel 7

Hey @juliamc,

You are correct here…

Unless you’re on a fixed rate which requires you to pay by direct debit I think you can just cancel your dd at the bank and you automatically go to the pay on demand rate. Can someone confirm ??

For an average user it works out to about £200 more expensive per annum, but for a low user, eg a landlord, it’s much simpler to deal with.

@Jane hr you should be able to set your direct debit as lower if you explain there will be no usage, but if we don’t receive meter readings then it may be increased as the usage will be estimated based on previous consumption. 

You could get a smart meter installed so the readings are sent across automictically and then pay on demand for what is used. 

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Jane hr I would cancel the dd then and send meter readings as often as possible. My smart meter sends them every half hour

Hi Emmanuelle

Thanks for replying but I wish you would all join up. I’ve tried to give you meter readings, you didn’t want them and you have certainly not asked for them when revising my dd payments upwards. Initially I spent time discussing with the webchat the situation and  an amount was agreed for an an empty property so I now need to spend time sorting this out with one of your colleagues again!.

Hi there,

I am a landlord and have tenants that left, but i got a bill a while later to the occupier and turns out they didn’t give a gas reading and the electric reading is incorrect compared to the photos i took the day after they left.

I called ovo and they said i had to make a new account and then i could email proof of the readings. But when i emailed i got a bounce back that the email doesn't exist any more. How can i update historical readings when i have proof of this?

Clearly the staff don’t even know that the email doesn't exist.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You could try webchat or WhatsApp 

https://help.ovoenergy.com/#contact_us_container

i’ve tried web chat and you have to wait ages then it just closes early on a saturday so they leave you hanging. I don’t see why they cant just bring back an email people can get in touch with if its for something that isn't super urgent.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Mamas,

You can set up your account here. Once your account is set up you’ll be able to log into your Online Account and submit meter readings. This FAQ might be helpful to you:

When you set up your account, you should be asked for the meter reading to open the account to, which would be the one taken when the previous tenant left. 

If you have any issues with estimated bills:

Our Support team’s web messaging and WhatsApp opening hours are:

• 8am - 6pm Monday to Friday 

• 9am - 2pm on Saturdays

Hope this helps. 

Good afternoon,

I moved out of my old house on 01/03 and informed SSE (a month prior) and OVO just before moving (due to the change). I received my ‘final bill’ on 02/03, which was immediately paid. However, I notice the account is still open with my details and charges are racking up with use from the current tenants.

I’ve tried calling but can never get through (call is dropped or have been hung up on) and the customer service agent on Whatsapp told me I have to get the current tenants to ring up and then has subsequently ignored any follow up.

How can I go about either closing the account or having my details removed until the current tenants set up their account?

Thanks,
Matt

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Good afternoon,

I moved out of my old house on 01/03 and informed SSE (a month prior) and OVO just before moving (due to the change). I received my ‘final bill’ on 02/03, which was immediately paid. However, I notice the account is still open with my details and charges are racking up with use from the current tenants.

I’ve tried calling but can never get through (call is dropped or have been hung up on) and the customer service agent on Whatsapp told me I have to get the current tenants to ring up and then has subsequently ignored any follow up.

How can I go about either closing the account or having my details removed until the current tenants set up their account?

Thanks,
Matt

Hi @Shawm44 I would recommend

1. Making sure OVO have a copy of any end of tenancy letters you have.

2. Also a copy of any new tenancy documents you have for your new home. 

3. Also double check you haven't inadvertently left anything registered as your old address as this can cause issues in the future. It may take a few months for things to come off, you can check one or more of the credit reference agencies free statutory reports like

https://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/statutory-report.html

OVO don't have an email address but you can send photos etc via direct message on the OVO Twitter or Facebook page. Include your name, address, account number and date of birth to pass security along with any other message. Obviously don't post publicly. Both are official ovo support channels and the staff their can access your account.

https://www.facebook.com/ovoenergy

Ask the OVO or Twitter team for a letter to be sent to your new home address saying you are no longer liable from the date you advised. 

Finally i would recommend putting in a complaint, simply because if this drags on for 8 week you can then ask the Energy Ombudsman to support you and order OVO to refund you and pay compensation.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

Userlevel 7

Hey @Shawm44,

If you have access to your OVO account you can process the change of tenancy via your Online Account check out this helpful tutorial:

Sorry you were mis-informed, we don’t need the new tenants details to process the move out. I’d advise calling Support on 0330 303 5063 if the account migrated to OVO and you don’t have access to the online account. They’ll be able to get this sorted for you.

The final bill can take 4 weeks, so it may be that your change of tenancy has been processed but your account isn’t fully closed yet. 

Hope this helps. 

Thanks @Jeffus and @Emmanuelle_OVO.

The charges seemed to stop and got in touch with support. Who advised that they were charges racked up before 1st March, but for some reason weren’t on the final bill. However their estimates were a lot higher than our usage was, so now we’re owed money!

Will keep an eye out to make sure there’s no more activity on the account and will keep the Ombudsman in mind if there are.

Hi,

I have taken possession of a property that is to be rented out.  The property currently receives Gas and Electricity from OVO.

The tenant will be responsible for establishing utility services, but The won’t be moving in for several weeks.  In the mean time, the property is empty.

What information do you need from me?

Thanks,

Paul

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @BrennanWysteria ,

I’m a forum volunteer.

My advice would be to call OVO tomorrow on 0330 303 5063 to set up a temporary landlord account. They’ll sort you out. Please ensure the tenant signs up via https://switch.ovoenergy.com when they move in.

Thanks for your help