Tutorial

Taking a manual meter reading from a Landis+Gyr E470 smart meter

• 14 September 2021
  • 61 replies
Taking a manual meter reading from a Landis+Gyr E470 smart meter

Show first post

61 replies

Badge

I have and above Smart Meter. I had solar panels installed and have been asked to check if I can check whether it supports export to the grid by pressing button A. However, there is only button B . Is there a button A on this Meter ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Could you post a photo of it too for us?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @SURI just checking in as you didn’t reply to us.

Did you still need our help by any chance?

Userlevel 1

Hi

Could anyone please tell me if my smart meter is a dual or single tariff?

I attach photos of all three screens I can see on my meter.  There is absolutely NOTHING at all on the smart meter that matches what Ovo say I am using off peak.  I do NOT have storage heaters.

Beyond my meter reading, I have no idea what any of it means - especially the credit balance … don’t use top up cards.

Any help gratedully received!

Thanks in advance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Cheekyone its difficult to tell from the images but you can check your plan to see if you’re on a dual rate tariff. 
https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan

This includes looking at a second tariff if it’s used

Userlevel 1

Tahnk you so much.  It does appear that I have a dul rate meter after all (almost a year down the line).

Why do I need/get dual readings when I do not have Economy 7?

I reall, really wish I had never had smart meters installed.  hate them witht a vengance.

Thanks very much for your help.  Much appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You should be able to ask to go on to a single rate if you don’t have appliances to use much overnight. They would just use both meter registers as the same rate. You’d need to get in touch with customer support if that’s better for you - although I don’t understand why you would have dual rate /economy 7 if you didn’t ask for it

Userlevel 1

Nothing but trouble since smart metwr fitted last April.  haven’t had bills with meter readings for electric since then.  Been in with ceo twice - still not resolved.  Can’t wait to get away from Ovo.

Thanks for your time.

I have the Landis and Gyr Smets 1 meter and it’s quite easy to work out and determine costs. The meter default screen shows the latest reading - total KW. Pressing button A lights up the display and cycles through various levels of information but all you need is the total KW - and in my case the Rate 1 KW which is the daytime rate - and the Rate 2 KW which is the midnight to 5 am EV Tariff rate. You’ll know your contracted rates daytime and off peak plus daily standing charge so it’s very easy to keep tabs on whether things are working properly and what the costs are. I have an in house display which is supposed to mirror the smart meter which it does some of the time but not all of the time. It occasionally looks as if the EV Tariff has disappeared which got me worried at first. That’s why I learnt how to read the E470 and just take weekly readings to keep a check on our costs. 

Please see below link to guide on how to reading L&G E470

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkmfuQ5MPbg

Userlevel 7
Badge

… guide on how to reading L&G E470

It’s kind of you to share a link you found useful. I’d just point out that there are many different varieties of the L+G E470 meter, so the chances of any particular customer having exactly the model used in the video are quite slim.