PAYG smart meter and Solar Panels

• 13 October 2023
  • 2 replies

This is a little complex…

here is my setup

Smart meter: Secure Liberty 110 in PAYG mode with Econony7 Storage heaters on 5th Terminal

Generation meter: Emlile EC-ECA2-BI 1

According to Smart Export Guarantee 2 your SEG supplier goes not have to be your GAS and/or Electric supplier.

Having duly registered the generation meter to get is Mpan number I now have the issue of supplying every 6 months an export meter reading. SEG Supplier is Scottish Power and I requirement is a 6 monthly manual meter reading.

Now it gets interesting...

The Secure Liberty 110 (SL110) is solar export compatible. Export reading are shown on the meter if you hit 9 from the display. However when in PAYG E7 mode 9 shows the day and night rates.

Can anyone worked out

1. if the SL110 in PAYG mode with E7 can store or record Export Data to the Grid?

2. If the SL110 can where is that data stored on the meter and how to access it.

3. If the SL110 cannot is there a smart meter that will fit the bill preferably smete2

Any help would be appreciated..

Notes

1 The Emlite EC-ECA2 meter installation/user guide for Solar PV gives the following information regarding export readings.

Many PV users are now registering to receive payments for exported energy. When doing this the utility will ask for an export reading. Many customers and utility staff believe this comes from the generation meter (Solar PV Meter) but, this is not the case. You will find your export reading at the utility meter, dependant of what type of meter you have installed. Most smart meters will give you this reading but, older types of meter might not provide this therefore your utility meter will need to be changed.
2 from the gov.uk website
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/smart-export-guarantee-seg-earn-money-for-exporting-the-renewable-electricity-you-have-generated

“How to get a  tariff

You need to apply directly to a  tariff supplier to get paid. The Ofgem website lists the energy suppliers that provide  tariffs.

Your  tariff supplier does not need to be the same as the supplier that provides your energy.

suppliers are required to offer you a tariff but are free to determine the terms of the tariff they offer, for example whether it is fixed or variable.

Tariffs can change over time so you should regularly check to make sure you remain on a competitive tariff.

If you have a storage device, such as a household battery or electric vehicle, that has the ability to import and export electricity, it could also be used to benefit from the . Your prospective  tariff supplier can advise you about this.”

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Hns2005 ,

The button you want is 9 which displays both Import and Export registers. You may have to press it a few times. HOWEVER, if you have a dedicated Export Meter, you must use the reading from that instead.

1. if the SL110 in PAYG mode with E7 can store or record Export Data to the Grid? Yes, see note below

2. If the SL110 can where is that data stored on the meter and how to access it. - On the meter itself, but you can’t access it outside of pressing 9

3. If the SL110 cannot is there a smart meter that will fit the bill preferably smete2 - You’re not eligible for a meter swap based on what you’ve said

However, barely any supplier uses the automated readings to get the Export readings, so the functionality is currently redundant. It might get used in the future though.

Userlevel 7
Badge

The Secure Liberty 110 is a really smart piece of kit; I had to say goodbye to mine last week, and it was like losing a friend.

What you’re asking for - E7 capability with PAYG and export metering as well - should be possible, but it would take a real expert to configure it the way you want if it isn’t already. 

If you’re at all technically minded, you might be able to make sense of the manual available for download here. I think the only difference between the Liberty 100 and 110 versions is that the 110 has a fifth terminal, switched separately for E7 appliances.

You’ll see keypad instructions towards the end of the manual. What happens when you press Key 9 is detailed from the bottom of p. 82; as far as I can see, it’s the same as in Credit mode (p. 62 ff.) The same data should also be available on Key 6, unless there is more than one export register.