Is a ghost using electricity when I'm not at home?

• 27 December 2022
  • 16 replies

I was’t at home over Christmas but according to my electricity usage more Kwhrs was used on Christmas Day than is normal for me.  What is going on ?  OVO speak much about this but actually explain very little in fact they talk complete ‘Grey’.  Not good enough !  Same with my Gas ?????  The records should only show actual usage ie, If nothing is used a big fat zero should be shown for those particular days - anything else is completely confusing !  But that’s the name of the game isn’t it - confuse them so that they will eventually ‘go away’.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Are the readings actual or estimated to get those figures?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi,

Firstly, please can you post photos of the meters themselves. If you could also post screenshots of what you’re seeing, it’ll help a ton.

We’re forum volunteers, so we can’t access your account ourselves but we’re also completely independent. We can definitely try to figure this out with you!

BPLighltlog & Blastoise 186 - the information I am talking about was shown on my daily ‘December usage’ so I am assuming it is the figures OVO are using to charge me ?  Right now it is beyond me to send screen shots but you will have identical formats on your own account records and will have ‘daily usage’ figures too.  All I’m saying is that when I am NOT at home how can the electrical kWh total be higher tha when I am at home ?  It is probably something I am going to have to take up with OVO.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I see. If it’s usage data then you’re not being billed to that. Check your actual Meter Readings via https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/electricity and https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/gas . Do these say Estimated, Manual or Smart?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It really does depend on whether the meter readings used are actual or estimated to get your usage data. If they are actual (or smart) then you need to look further into what’s happening 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m afraid the usage chart itself doesn’t help us answer your question. We need to know whether the data was built from actual readings or not.

Blasoise 186 - “ I see. If it’s usage data then you’re not being billed to that.” - if that’s the case then surely the information show is completely bogus ?  It states ‘Your December 2022 usage’ and clearly shows my daily usage ?

Thank both for your comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Darrell you can see what type of readings on your account page like this 

I’m assuming now that the usage shown must be ‘estimated’ since I have recieved an email saying my smart meter is not sending any info and they asked me to submit usage figures - which I have just done.  I would have thought it prudent for OVO to show that usage figures are estimated when they are ?  That woud have saved me getting steamed up about it ?

Once again thank you for your input.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

There’s always a fix for that problem too. :)

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/ideas is perfect for that kind of suggestion. If you post it there, then there’s a 100% chance you’ll get an official response from OVO.

ive been out of town for a week and i turned off all appliances in my home before leaving. i have however noticed that my home is still using 3-4kw of electricity on a daily basis. any suggestions about what might be going on? thanks ! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Rbhatt , do you have a smart meter? and if so what frequency are the readings set to?

I ask as that is the easiest way to find a power draw. 
Where do you see this 3-4kw usage by the way? And also when you say switched all appliances off, do you mean via their wall switches or just on the appliance itself?

I do have a smart meter but I’m not sure of the frequency for readings. I was told by Ovo it’s real time. Do the usage stats show you which appliance is using power? I can see the usage times but not where power is being used. 
I turned off the main switch for all appliances and also unplugged the ones I could like TV, router, blender etc. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I do have a smart meter but I’m not sure of the frequency for readings. I was told by Ovo it’s real time. Do the usage stats show you which appliance is using power? I can see the usage times but not where power is being used. 
I turned off the main switch for all appliances and also unplugged the ones I could like TV, router, blender etc. 

If they say ‘real time’ that suggests they’re set to every 30 mins - electricity updates on the in home display (IHD) every 12seconds or so, gas only every 30 mins. 
The usage stats make a guess at appliance use but if you check whether it’s a background level or spikes every so often, it’s easier to do some detective work. For example, what’s the background level - assuming you have a fridge/freezer still connected - and is there any heating which might switch on if the weather is very cold? 
Some appliances do consume power even if ‘off’ when they’re transformer connected. 

Userlevel 7

Can you please send us a screenshot of your meter readings themselves @Rbhatt

This might help us find out what’s going on here. This topic may also be helpful: