Skip to main content
Solved

IHD not been received- Old meter type

Hello, this is a long story but I’ll try to keep it short.

I moved into my current property 4 years ago. When I moved in, it was apparent that there was no IHD here. It appears that the previous occupants very annoyingly took it with them.

At the time I was with Eon. I tried numerous times to request an IHD from them, but Eon’s policy is not to give IHDs to anyone!

Since the energy prices rising I am now desperate to get an IHD, it’s impossible for me to track my usage effectively without one. I am aware of the apps (such as Loop), but these are almost useless for working out the amounts of energy and the cost of appliances in real time. I have tried.  Also I’ve seen the Ivie bud IHDs, but I really can’t afford to spend £55 on this, the whole reason I need an IHD is because I’m really trying to save money. 

So, I messaged Ovo, who said of course they would provide me with an IHD if I were to switch to them. With this knowledge, I made the switch just under 1 month ago. I’ve phoned up to request an IHD today, and to my massive disappointment, I’ve been told that my meters are SMETS1, and that they don’t have any SMETS1 IHDs in stock, and that these have now been discontinued.

To say I’m disappointed is an understatement, really gutted, all the hassle of switching suppliers seems to have been a total waste of time. I just thought I’d make a post here as a last resort. Any advice would be appreciated.

44 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Smurfhito 

Welcome to the customer forum, i am just a customer like you. 

Can you post a photo of your meter?

Have you tried running this check?

https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Did you try Loop as that doesn't work with SMETS1 meters that haven't gone through a software update

Userlevel 1

Hi @Jeffus 

Thanks for the quick reply,  I’ve posted a photo of my meter below. I tried running the details through that citizens advice link, it seems to say my meter is SMETS1, and isn’t smart… I thought all these smart meters were supposed to be smart! I’m confused.

I did try loop and it works to some extent, but nowhere near the way that a proper IHD works, no real time info at all. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Jeffus 

Thanks for the quick reply,  I’ve posted a photo of my meter below. I tried running the details through that citizens advice link, it seems to say my meter is SMETS1, and isn’t smart… I thought all these smart meters were supposed to be smart! I’m confused.

I did try loop and it works to some extent, but nowhere near the way that a proper IHD works, no real time info at all. 

What it will mean is it’s not working in smart mode. All these S1 meters are due to be upgraded but that could take a while unfortunately. 

Userlevel 7

@Blastoise186 do we know if S1+ smart meters are compatible with other IHDs that S1 legacy aren’t?

@Smurfhito I’m surprised your smart meter hasn’t been upgraded already. The vast majority of them have, including your Secure Liberty meter...

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Unfortunately… No. They still only work with S1 IHDs and IHDs that can dual-role and be used with S1 or S2 freely. The difference is that it’s much easier to get a Glow IHD or ivie Bud paired to an S1+ than a legacy S1. And by much easier, it’s basically impossible otherwise as it has to go via DCC.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Jeffus 

It can be confusing...  In simple terms. 

So you have a smart meter, but it is an older SMETS1 meter.

This basically means the way it communicates is different to newer SMETS2 meters.

So it is more difficult to switch suppliers and keep the smart functionality and more difficult to source In Home Displays.

These older meters are in the process of being upgraded, either a software update or if all else fails a new meter. The deadline is currently end of this year. 

Interesting you say you can use loop as this doesn't work unless your meter has been upgraded. Try Hugo and see what happens just as a test. 

https://hugoenergyapp.co.uk/

It is certainly strange you can use loop but the citizens advice test gave that result.

Do you have gas and electricity? 

Userlevel 1

Thanks to all who’ve replied, I really appreciate it.

@Jeffus I’ve just tried the Hugo app, created an account and instantly all my previous usage data is on the app. Could this mean that my meter has in fact been updated?

Thanks again 

Userlevel 1

Sorry I forgot to say, I do have both Gas and electricity, both with Ovo (previously both with Eon)

My gas meter is slightly different, it’s a Liberty EG4v11

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ah nice! In that case, if you still fancy an IHD I’d recommend the Hildebrand Glow IHD.

Just so you know, I sometimes talk to Hildebrand about things that come up here on the forum but I’m not an affiliate or anything. This specific link pre-selects the right version for you so that you definitely get the right one. However, I won’t get any kickback or commission if you use it.

https://shop.glowmarkt.com/products/display-and-cad-combined-for-smart-meter-customers?variant=36560284352664

If Hildebrand can’t connect, you’ll get a full refund.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks to all who’ve replied, I really appreciate it.

@Jeffus I’ve just tried the Hugo app, created an account and instantly all my previous usage data is on the app. Could this mean that my meter has in fact been updated?

Thanks again 

Yes, because Hugo and Loop can only get data via SMETS2 meters and upgraded SMETS1 meters. You definitely have an Enrolled and Adopted SMETS1 meter. 

I guess the citizens advice website isn't quite up to date, keep checking over the next few weeks. 

So the link provided by @Blastoise186 should work as it is the SMETS1 version and you are enrolled and adopted. Without that the IHD wouldn't work.

Although i appreciate in your first post you mentioned about not buying an IHD... 

Userlevel 1

Ok, that’s great, thanks guys.  I suppose my next question is, does this mean that Ovo could in fact have an IHD in stock that they could send to me? (as they promised before I switched over to Ovo). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Ok, that’s great, thanks guys.  I suppose my next question is, does this mean that Ovo could in fact have an IHD in stock that they could send to me? (as they promised before I switched over to Ovo). 

Let's do one more check

Run the compatibility check on the ivie website, what does that say

https://ivie.co.uk/product/ivie-bud/

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m afraid OVO’s ability to get S1 compatible stock is extremely limited, potentially impossible. Last I heard was that over 99% of it gets dedicated towards PAYG customers who absolutely need one to be able to manage their PAYG credit.

Userlevel 1

Thanks, I’ve run the Ivie compatabiliy check, and it says that both my meters are compatible with the Ivie Bud.  Would that make any difference when it comes to IHDs that Ovo might have in stock?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I don't personally know the answer to that question so i won't try and guess 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Not really. OVO doesn’t partner with ivie nor Hildebrand so can’t prove those models.

The ivie Bud is based off of the Chameleon IHD7-CAD, but is running different firmware which means it cannot be managed by an energy supplier.

I have known OVO to work with Chameleon and (especially recently) Geo a lot but that seems to be mostly to get new stock in for new installs.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Just a couple of comments:

1. My Secure Liberty 110 meter (the same as the Liberty 100, but with multi-rate capability to allow for, say, Economy 7 tariffs) was adopted a couple of months ago.
    1. It was a few weeks before the Citizens Advice tool cottoned on to the fact.
    2. I had an email from OVO confirming the migration almost three weeks after the event.
  2. The Secure Pipit 500 IHD that came with the meter seven years ago took the migration in its stride with barely a hiccup. It still works as well as it has ever done. It has the advantage over some others of allowing me to see the actual meter readings in real time.

Mine is an electricity-only set-up, so gas may complicate things a bit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

This whole thread does make me wonder though… Is there scope for a special solution…

Perhaps some way for OVO to offer a special deal or something on an ivie Bud and/or Hildebrand Glow IHD under certain cases…

Or a way to pay it off over time via your electric bill at a reasonable rate of say, £2 a month (which obviously drops from the bill once paid off)...

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Smurfhito So given what we know i suspect it was an honest mistake you were told ovo could supply an IHD, and they honestly haven't got any.

If you want you could put in a complaint about the information you were given, expecially if you have something in writing. 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

Ask for £69.99 to cover the cost of the Glow IHD.

If they reject the complaint or don't decide within 8 weeks, ask the Energy Ombudsman to rule. 

Unfortunately suppliers are under no obligation to provide replacements outside warranty so you may not be successful. 

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your advice and suggestions guys, I’ll definitely consider that.  I shall hang fire for a day or two, just in case an Ovo rep might be able to help us come to a solution on this forum. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Tim and Emmanuelle can’t authorise anything by themselves I’m afraid. But they can pass on feedback and get thoughts from other staff in some cases

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks for your advice and suggestions guys, I’ll definitely consider that.  I shall hang fire for a day or two, just in case an Ovo rep might be able to help us come to a solution on this forum. 

Just to set your expectations, the OVO moderators don't look at every post and thread, so you may or may not see them post on this thread again. 

This is primarily a customer forum where customers chat and no OVO staff here can access accounts to make any changes. 

Userlevel 7

Just to set your expectations, the OVO moderators don't look at every post and thread, so you may or may not see them post on this thread again. 

This is primarily a customer forum where customers chat and no OVO staff here can access accounts to make any changes. 

The one correction I would make here is that we do look at every single comment. We have to, to make sure it abides by our rules! But other than that, the advice here has been on point.

@Smurfhito I agree with Jeffus that any remark promising you an IHD should’ve included a caveat that it’s dependent on stock. Can I ask, other than the live usage of the IHD which lets you, in theory, turn off all appliances and then turn one on to see it’s live energy demand, what is it about an IHD that you need that you can’t get with half hour readings and OVO’s online tools: https://dashboard.carbon-zero.ovoenergy.com/ovo-greenlight/bill-breakdown ?

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the response @Tim_OVO, and to everyone else who’s contributed thanks again. 

That’s exactly it, being able to work out how much it’s costing for individual appliances. Being able to see how much energy (mainly heating) is costing by simply glancing up at the display. Being able to budget and keep my spending to what I can afford.
I have tried the third party apps, and the dashboards on Eon and now Ovo. Short of me leaving my phone display on 24/7 on the mantle piece, it’s not quite the same as having a tangible purpose-built display. 
It’s a first world problem I’m sure, but it just feels really unfair that the whole population gets one and I’ve never in my life had one!  Such is life though I suppose. 

Userlevel 1

Also, the whole switching process has been an absolute nightmare. In fairness, mainly down to Eon, who are flat out refusing to issue my credit I had with them, as they say they haven’t received the final electric reading from Ovo - although they have received the final gas reading, it doesn’t make sense.  I’ve wasted hours on the phone and webchats with both Ovo and Eon trying to get that sorted, and am no closer to a resolution on that front. I’m expecting that to drag on for months now. 
So overall just a really stressful and disappointing experience, and it seems totally fruitless in regards to the IHD situation. With hindsight of course I wish I hadn’t switched, not worth the hassle so far.