Solved

I've just had a smart meter installed - why is my boiler not working?

• 24 August 2018
  • 4 replies

Hi!
I've got my smart meter yesterday but something went wrong and my boiler is not working.
It's Friday night and I have no hot water until the next week???
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 28 August 2018, 13:32

Hi @Kolonics.Terez,

I'm really sorry to hear about this. Sounds like a common issue with the gas supply. If a part of the gas supply has been disconnected and then reconnected, air pockets can occur which interrupt the continuous flow of gas through the pipes. My best guess is that the setup in your property porbably hasn't been touched in a while, and changing the meter has introduced air into the pipes.

You'd need a Gas Safe Engineer to 'bleed' or 'purge' the pipe for you to get the air out and make sure the boiler is receiving a continuous flow of gas.

Hope this helps.

Updated 24/02/2020

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6

Hi @Kolonics.Terez,

I'm really sorry to hear about this. Sounds like a common issue with the gas supply. If a part of the gas supply has been disconnected and then reconnected, air pockets can occur which interrupt the continuous flow of gas through the pipes. My best guess is that the setup in your property porbably hasn't been touched in a while, and changing the meter has introduced air into the pipes.

You'd need a Gas Safe Engineer to 'bleed' or 'purge' the pipe for you to get the air out and make sure the boiler is receiving a continuous flow of gas.

Hope this helps.

Updated 24/02/2020

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
If you have a gas cooker @Kolonics.Terez, you could try lighting those burners to "pull" any air pockets out of the internal pipework. They are still likely to work ok.

The reason a boiler is less likely to work is because it has a "flame sensor" which shuts off the gas supply if the flame isn't detected within a few seconds.
Userlevel 6
@Transparent - nice one! I didn't know that about the flame sensor!
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
And I didn't think of a meter installation leaving air pockets, @Nancy_OVO ... which I guess is beauty of a Forum - knowledge combined for mutual benefit 🙂