Solved

Failed smart meter installation, what next?

Booked a smart meter installation several months ago and an engineer turned up for the appointment. After an initial survey he advised that smart meters could not be fitted in my house because the existing meters were not separated. He then advised that a kit was available to sort this problem but to date I’ve had no follow up.
can anyone advise?.
Clive

icon

Best answer by Amy_OVO 19 June 2019, 15:42

Update on 09/02/2020: If you haven’t booked in your smart meter appointment ever, do it here. If you’ve had a failed appointment, see below for next steps. 

Failed appointments can happen for a number of reasons. This topic lists the main culprits. 

There will be an engineer report attached to your account our team will need to access this prior to making a new booking.

Please give our team a call on or web chat so this can be discussed, here (scroll to the bottom). 

View original

22 replies

Userlevel 6

Update on 09/02/2020: If you haven’t booked in your smart meter appointment ever, do it here. If you’ve had a failed appointment, see below for next steps. 

Failed appointments can happen for a number of reasons. This topic lists the main culprits. 

There will be an engineer report attached to your account our team will need to access this prior to making a new booking.

Please give our team a call on or web chat so this can be discussed, here (scroll to the bottom). 

I booked to have smart meters fitted about a year ago, sadly when the installer turned up he took one look at the meter box Redrow had installed on my new build and said they couldn’t fit their smart meters into them. Does anyone know if that issue has been fixed yet?
Userlevel 6
I've popped you post here, @Gsmithdsl, you'll need to contact our team for further help, on the above number.

Thanks!
I thought we lost the “online only discount” or whatever it’s called if we phoned OVO?
Userlevel 6
Not in this instance, @Gsmithdsl.

If you needed to get in touch about something you're not able to do online, or you can't find the answer to on our website, then you wouldn't run the risk of losing the reward.

You can find more information about the Self Service reward here.

Hope this helps!

New smart meter fitted 2/12/19 it took all day but they were unable to complete. A week later needed to call emergency has fitter out due to a faulty part being fitted. Now nearly two months later still awaiting completion. OVO don't reply to emails would like to no when the job will be finished! Is this normal?

Userlevel 6

Sorry to hear you haven’t had a response to your email, @StevieO, have you checked your junk folder just in case the email has been filtered into there?

If not, give the team a call on 0330 303 5063 to get this sorted, they’re available Monday-Friday 8ma-6pm.

I was told it would only take 2 hours to fit but your engineer was here all day and it still isn't finished. Also had to call out an emergency gas fitter a week later to replace a faulty leaking part.  On top of this OVO have failed to answer any email satisfactorily.  So no I won't be phoning as you suggest. Might try LAMB (Look after my bills) has anyone tried them?

Userlevel 6

Sorry to hear this, @StevieO, so that we can help with this as quickly as possible, please send our team a message on Facebook, Twitter.

Thanks! 

Done that and they were unable to help. Very poor.

Userlevel 6

I’m surprised to hear this, @StevieO, I’d recommend calling the team on the number advised by Eva. 

No point OVO seem unwilling or unable to help. Absolutely ridiculous can't think of another service that has no control over the engineers it pay to do a job. OVO can't even hazard a guess at when this will be completed

As stated I'm becoming increasingly unable to read the meters. It's an old BG setup which I would never have had put in. 

Who's going to put a sensible set of meters in as OvO is not able to install. 

I'm only going to be able to do this a few more months. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @MrBee ,

Welcome to the forums. I have a quick question that I’d like to ask upfront if that’s OK. Do you currently have smart meters? If not, it should be possible to install them. Did OVO give any particular reasons why, as we can try to advise on what you can do.

Thanks

Userlevel 7

Yes @MrBee let us know the latest with regards to why OVO can’t fit you a smart meter. 

Also, can you confirm if you’ve signed up to the Priority Services Register (PSR)? You can get an engineer to visit to read your meter for you, every 3 months, so you don’t have to. 

Yes @MrBee let us know the latest with regards to why OVO can’t fit you a smart meter. 

Also, can you confirm if you’ve signed up to the Priority Services Register (PSR)? You can get an engineer to visit to read your meter for you, every 3 months, so you don’t have to. 

PSR Nope! Unable to access...

There are old BG meters here. They don’t funtion at all!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks for the update @MrBee .

I found that bug myself actually, but I think I forgot to report it at the time. Thanks for the reminder! I’ll chat to Tim about that one shortly.

In the meantime, you can also register for Priority Services over the phone or via live chat, whichever is easier for you. Please feel free to chat to the Support Team and they’ll get you set up.

When you say that the meters don’t work though, could you tell us a bit more about that?

Thanks for the update @MrBee .

I found that bug myself actually, but I think I forgot to report it at the time. Thanks for the reminder! I’ll chat to Tim about that one shortly.

In the meantime, you can also register for Priority Services over the phone or via live chat, whichever is easier for you. Please feel free to chat to the Support Team and they’ll get you set up.

When you say that the meters don’t work though, could you tell us a bit more about that?

They don’t send any data!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks @MrBee . I think I know what the problem is then.

It sounds like you’ve got those old SMETS1 Landis+Gyr branded smart meters that British Gas used to install back in the day, which were exclusively compatible with British Gas and no-one else. That may explain why you can’t get them switched out right now and why they’ve stopped working.

@Tim_OVO what would your thoughts be as to a meter exchange in these circumstances? If MrBee won’t be able to read the current ones due to disability and the proprietary WAN that Centrica/British Gas had isn’t going to work well with OVO and is on PSR… Does this provide some form of special case options?

Userlevel 7

what would your thoughts be as to a meter exchange in these circumstances? If MrBee won’t be able to read the current ones due to disability and the proprietary WAN that Centrica/British Gas had isn’t going to work well with OVO and is on PSR… Does this provide some form of special case options?

Yeh I think it’s some form of smart meter. If it’s a ‘non standard smart meter’ (NSS), OVO would be happy to look at booking an engineer visit to fit our smart meters free of charge. If it’s an S1 meter that will eventually be upgraded (S1+), we might be unwilling to replace it for free. However I would certainly recommend asking the question via our Support team, @MrBee - you can do that and the PSR sign up in one web chat or phone, here (scroll to the bottom). 

At the very least, the PSR will mean you can get your meter readings to us without having to read them yourself. That’s a win either way!

what would your thoughts be as to a meter exchange in these circumstances? If MrBee won’t be able to read the current ones due to disability and the proprietary WAN that Centrica/British Gas had isn’t going to work well with OVO and is on PSR… Does this provide some form of special case options?

Yeh I think it’s some form of smart meter. If it’s a ‘non standard smart meter’ (NSS), OVO would be happy to look at booking an engineer visit to fit our smart meters free of charge. If it’s an S1 meter that will eventually be upgraded (S1+), we might be unwilling to replace it for free. However I would certainly recommend asking the question via our Support team, @MrBee - you can do that and the PSR sign up in one web chat or phone, here (scroll to the bottom). 

At the very least, the PSR will mean you can get your meter readings to us without having to read them yourself. That’s a win either way!

we might be unwilling to replace it for free.

Free or not.. You will not be changing my meter anytime whilst i’m alive. The Government paid a fantastic amount for the system that the big six wanted. They in turn made a mess of it. The Government yes us the people have alredy paid for the meters… Yet we are expected individually to pay for a meter change for you to be able to read the meters? 

What a classic balls up. I’d have a field day in court with that one. 

Try me!

On that note get the readings yourself from now on!

:rofl:

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The alternative option though @MrBee is that OVO can arrange for an engineer or meter reader to come out every so often to take readings on your behalf. It’s one of the features of the Priority Services Register and just like all PSR services, it is offered completely free of charge regardless of what meters you have. But you would need to set this up with OVO first.

OVO would never attempt to sneak any hidden charges onto your account without your knowledge. In actual fact, I can help you to find out what meters you currently have and then tell you whether a free meter exchange might be possible. Please take a few photos of your meters and pop those in your next reply, I’ll be happy to advise on that.