Solved

Failed smart meter installation, what next?

Booked a smart meter installation several months ago and an engineer turned up for the appointment. After an initial survey he advised that smart meters could not be fitted in my house because the existing meters were not separated. He then advised that a kit was available to sort this problem but to date I’ve had no follow up.
can anyone advise?.
Clive

icon

Best answer by Amy_OVO 19 June 2019, 15:42

View original

107 replies

Userlevel 6

Updated on 14/07/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Sorry to hear that the engineer wasn’t able to complete your smart meter installation. It sounds like there’s an issue with your current set-up which needs to be resolved before we’re able to replace your meters.

It could be that your meter shares a fuse with a neighbour’s meter, which can happen if your meters are located in a shared meter cupboard or hallway. Read more about this and other issues which can prevent us replacing your meters on this relevant guide.

In order to identify the exact issue in your case, we’d need to check the job report that was created by the engineer who visited your property. Reach out to our Support Team, to check the next steps in getting the issue resolved. Depending on the issue you may have to contact your Distribution Network Operator (DNO) to carry out some work before rebooking your appointment.

Keep us updated as we’d love to hear the outcome of this one. Hoping it’s resolved quickly and you can enjoy the benefits of a smart meter soon! :relaxed:

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Userlevel 1
Badge

My smart meter hasn't been sending to OVO for over 3 months.

Engineers keep cancelling visits to fix

My tariff gas and electricity are higher than my fixed agreement.

My standing charges for gas and electricity are higher than my fixed agreement 

Unhappy is a under statement 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @davericho

I don't work for ovo. Sorry to hear about your issues. 

You probably already know this

You should be able to see your tariff on this page including your standing charge, unit rate and end date. 

https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan

Is it this page that is incorrect?

OVO should be giving you £30 for each missed visit. No conciliation i know, have they been paying it? And if they don't pay within 10 days another £30

You could try posting a 1 star review on the ovo trustpilot website. The OVO staff their usually reply in a day or 2 and have access to your OVO account. You might find it prompts more action

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.ovoenergy.com

Userlevel 7

Hi @davericho,

Sorry for the issues you’ve had.

@Jeffus has already made some great points here. Can you confirm where you are seeing the higher unit rates and standing charges? We need to know this information to tailor our advice.

Here is more information about the Guaranteed Standards of Performance (£30 payment):

It’s worth adding this is awarded if the engineer failed to attend without at least 24 hours notice of a cancellation.

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Emmanuelle_OVO 

My plan tariff and charges info I get from my account on the web ovo.

My monthly usage accounts from OVO website which shows incorrect amounts on gas electricity tariff kwh  and charges 

My smart meter monitor shows same incorrect tariff Kwh charges matching my monthly bills.

Regarding meter engineer they call with the required time constraints to change date, my next date is 1st Nov 

@Jeffus thanks very much for your help much appreciated 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Emmanuelle_OVO

For info my fixed tariff Sept 2021 to Sept 2023

This is the reply I had from OVO after I complained of being overcharged as explained in my previous post...do people at OVO ever read anything I ask myself !!!!

OVO reply

Hi Dave,

I'm afraid we're not able to change your tariff via social media. If you're currently on a fixed plan that's priced below the Energy Price Guarantee your rates will not change, and you don’t need to do anything. This is because the price you pay for your energy is already lower than the government's Energy Price Guarantee. At the end of your fixed plan, you’ll move onto our Standard Variable Tariff, where the Energy Price Guarantee rates will apply. 

If you're currently on a fixed plan where prices for a typical household are between £2,500 and £3,500 per year, your rates will automatically be discounted from 1 October in line with the government’s Energy Price Guarantee. We’ll be in touch over the next few weeks to confirm exactly what this means for you. 

If you're currently on a fixed plan where prices for a typical household are over £3,500 per year, we'll automatically move you to our Standard Variable Tariff. This will mean you're on the best rates possible. We'll take care of everything and we'll be in touch over the next few weeks to confirm exactly what this means for you.

As it stands, your account may not have been altered in response to the Energy Price Guarantee rates yet. However, as there are many customers who need their tariffs adjusted, we're doing this in stages. Although your rates haven't been changed yet, this should be done in the coming days, and we'll backdate any change to the 1st October.

The team will be in touch as soon as this change has been made but if you'd like your tariff changed sooner please reach out to our Customer Care team directly on 0330 303 5063 (Monday to Friday 8am-6pm) so they can updated this for you sooner.

Thanks,
Charlie

Userlevel 7

Hey @davericho,

Glad to hear your appointment has been re-scheduled. 

Sorry, you didn’t express you were referring to the Energy Price Guarantee (EPG) in your first post I responded to. 

Please see my response just posted in this similar thread:

If you are affected by the EPG you will be contacted by OVO directly. You don’t need to do anything. 

As for your rates appearing differently on your IHD to the Online Account, could it be that one is showing VAT and one without. Can you send us some screenshots? Or figures?

When you say ‘My monthly usage accounts from OVO website which shows incorrect amounts on gas electricity tariff kwh  and charges’ do you mean your usage is estimated? It sounds like this is because your smart meter isn’t sending us readings. This will be why an engineer will attend your property. 

In the meantime you can submit a reading manually to the Online Account

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Emmanuelle_OVO I'm not refering to the price guarantee my fixed tariff is 2021 to 2023 since June/July 2022 I've been wrongly charged on all fronts gas electricity day charge

Hope this clarifies the situation we are in

Userlevel 7

Hey @davericho,

Sorry for the issues you’ve had

I don’t have access to your account, I think Support are best placed to deal with your query. The best way to contact them are through web messenger. 

I’d advise finding a copy of your unit rates and standing charge you agreed to and specifying where you can see these rates as incorrect. This information should help them get to the bottom of your issue. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sorry @Emmanuelle_OVO I should have sent you this info

Fixed 2021-2023

Gas 3.67kwh being charged 3.81kwh

Electricity 18.51kwh charged 19.43kwh

Gas Daily charge 23.73 charge 24.91

Elect Daily charge 21.36 charge 22.42.

This info I sent already and just get back about the price cap, hence why I come on here.

I'm totally disillusioned with trying to deal with anybody at ovo on the web so I'm going to put it in writing in a formal letter, before making a formal complaint to the ombudsman.

Thanks for all your help @Emmanuelle_OVO I understand you are limited to what you can do on here.

Userlevel 7

Hey @davericho,

Thanks for your reply.

My first thought was that the percentage increase looked like VAT which is 5%. But on calculating the difference they don’t add up to 5%, in most cases less.

What is the name of your tariff and where are you seeing these rates? If it’s online please send a screenshot. If it’s on your meter please send a photo.

Let’s get to the bottom of this!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @davericho

Can you give us the info you see on this page to see if we can help? 

https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan

1. Electricity Standing Charge =

2. Electricity Unit Rate =

3. Gas Standing Charge =

4. Gas Unit Rate =

I have had two appointments cancelled at very short same day notice, the most recent being today. I called and was connected after 42 mins. I was told that the appointment was “pending” on the system but had a text advising of the cancellation. I was told to call again tomorrow, It was not possible to either re-book the appt or discuss compensation. I certainly have not received £30 for the first cancellation. Completely unimpressed with Ovo customer service and their Indian call centre. I have taken two afternoons off work and am now owed £800 in compensation.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Luap and thanks for flagging this. 

If you weren’t given 24 hours notice of the appointment not going ahead, you’ll be owed 30 compensation for each occasion. If this isn’t paid promptly, it’s doubled. 

It sounds like it’s been tough to get through to us yesterday. Mondays are often the busiest day, and this month has definitely been the busiest I can remember. Price cap changes and the government intervention is prompting lots of contact. I’m sorry you were affected. Reach out to us via WhatsApp or web chat later in the week via this page and you can avoid hanging on the phone in a queue. 

Hopefully we can rebook and chase up that compensation from the engineer company. 

i am waiting for someone to fit my smart metres said between 12 and 4 today no sign of anyone should i be worried 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Any joy ?

got a message 5 minutes before the cut off time saying not getting done today

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

How annoying 🤦‍♀️

Userlevel 7

So annoying, sorry to hear, @taxijim33. As you weren’t given at least 24 hours notice, you’ll be getting £30 compensation. 

I’d recommend waiting for us to contact you about that compensation and re-booking. Give us a chance to put this right, but our Support team are here if you’d rather rearrange sooner. 

more problems with ovo they want to increase my direct debit from £101.00 to £180.00 even although i am £340.00 in credit after my last bill i think they are using people who are in credit to keep them going what about the pensioners and people with cash flow problems

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

more problems with ovo they want to increase my direct debit from £101.00 to £180.00 even although i am £340.00 in credit after my last bill i think they are using people who are in credit to keep them going what about the pensioners and people with cash flow problems

You can request a freeze by calling 0330 303 5063. It can last for up to three months.

You can also go via the Collections Team on 0800 069 9831.

been onto the collections team not realy any help

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Your other options are https://ovoenergy.com/feedback or just wait for the next three monthly review cycle to run, at which point your payments will be reviewed again.

Userlevel 7

Don’t forget that it’s deliberate to have a credit in the account at this time of year, @taxijim33. For fixed tariff customers, the aim is to get you to your contract end date at £0, for variable customers, it’s 12 months ahead with a £0 target. So with very high usage being typical over the winter months of November, December, January, February, it’s necessary to have credit at this point, to keep that £0 target in reach. See how this is worked out here:

i know that but i already told ovo my house will be empty for the 1st 3 months of 2023 so by april 2023 my credit will be about £1000.00 but ovo do not listen to what the customer tells them