Skip to main content

I’d like to take advantage of a lower cost rate but can’t unless I agree to having a smart meter fitted. I don’t want one.

I think that I recall reading elsewhere, that I can request having the smart functions disabled, effectively it becoming simply a replacement meter.

Does anyone know if this is the case?

Thank you for any help.

Short answer: no. It used to be possible with SMETS1 meters, but not the current generation of SMETS2 meters, which need their communication with the supplier for several reasons.

What is your objection to smart meters? Many of the scary stories you may have read are just unfounded conspiracy theories.

The other thing to note is that when you agree to have Smart Meters installed, you are also agreeing to allow them to run in Smart Mode with full functionality enabled from day 1. While there are edge cases where it might not work - and the supplier will not penalise you for running into one - you still have to let them try to get it going as intended.

The ability to disable Comms on S1 Meters has also been removed as part of the DCC Migration - you can no longer request that either.