Solved

I'm still waiting for a gas smart meter due to a medium pressure supply - who can I contact?

• 13 June 2018
  • 1 reply

We had an engineer come round to fit gas and electricity smart meters. He couldn't fit the gas one, because the supply was the wrong pressure.

He promised an engineer would come within 2-3 months. Or so.

More than a year has elapsed. Who do I speak to?
icon

Best answer by Anonymous 15 June 2018, 12:47

View original

1 reply

Updated on 21/07/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Sorry to hear about the delay in getting you upgraded to one of our SMETS 2 smart meters due to your medium pressure gas supply.

How can I tell if my gas supply is medium pressure?

• The majority of gas supplies are low pressure (LP). A relatively small number of supplies are medium pressure (MP).
  • Most medium pressure supplies have a yellow or orange Emergency Control Valve (ECV) handle that indicates if a site is medium pressure. A red ECV indicates low pressure.
  • They should also be labelled to advise. On the below example, the text on the ECV advises the site is MP.

How do I upgrade to a smart meter with a medium pressure supply?

A medium pressure gas supply requires a Senior Meter Technician (SMT) engineer that's been through specific training. Medium pressure supplies are so rare which is why not all engineers are trained in them - our OVO technicians currently aren’t trained to install meters on medium pressure gas supplies.

If you’d like to request a smart meter exchange in this scenario, reach out to our Support Team. We’ll add your account to a waiting list and contact you as soon as a SMT engineer is available in your area. Due to the limited nature of these engineers we’re unable to guarantee a time frame for when this appointment may be scheduled, but we assure you smart meters are worth the wait!

In the meantime you can submit your meter readings on the ‘Meter Readings’ page of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS).