Solved

OVO Anytime compatibility sith VW e-Golf?

• 12 November 2023
  • 14 replies

Badge

I'm looking to purchasing a VW e-Golf and trying to find out if it's compatible with OVO anytime. I will be using the standard 3 pin charger.

I have read conflicting info. On OVO checker it says not compatible but I'm sure someone on the forum said it was compatible.

Also the terms and conditions say it is,

https://www.ovoenergy.com/terms/anytime

Please can someone clarify?

icon

Best answer by kopweb 13 November 2023, 13:00

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @E-golf 

Only the VW ID EVs are compatible if memory serves. Unfortunately, that three-pin basic charger won’t work either.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @E-golf 

My posts may have contributed to your confusion on this subject. I have a 2022 Golf e-Hybrid Style (essentially a GTE) for which I have been successfully getting full Charge Anytime credits since March - using only a standard 3-pin granny charger. But maybe I just got lucky. I worried that I might lose out when VW changed their own app, but the transition was seamless.

What I would say is that mine’s a plug-in hybrid, so the granny charger is adequate. If you’re considering a used fully electric e-Golf, I agree with @Blastoise186. It will take so long to charge the bigger battery, and Charge Anytime will switch on and off the power feed so often, it will confuse the software on the car and leave you with partial charges.

On the other hand, if you install an EV Charger from the approved list, you should be able to access Charge Anytime for almost any EV including an e-Golf. But a charger is a chunky investment.

Badge

Hi @E-golf 

My posts may have contributed to your confusion on this subject. I have a 2022 Golf e-Hybrid Style (essentially a GTE) for which I have been successfully getting full Charge Anytime credits since March - using only a standard 3-pin granny charger. But maybe I just got lucky. I worried that I might lose out when VW changed their own app, but the transition was seamless.

What I would say is that mine’s a plug-in hybrid, so the granny charger is adequate. If you’re considering a used fully electric e-Golf, I agree with @Blastoise186. It will take so long to charge the bigger battery, and Charge Anytime will switch on and off the power feed so often, it will confuse the software on the car and leave you with partial charges.

On the other hand, if you install an EV Charger from the approved list, you should be able to access Charge Anytime for almost any EV including an e-Golf. But a charger is a chunky investment.

Thanks..how did you manage to get the anytime tariff to work?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @E-golf 

What I would say is that mine’s a plug-in hybrid, so the granny charger is adequate. If you’re considering a used fully electric e-Golf, I agree with @Blastoise186. It will take so long to charge the bigger battery, and Charge Anytime will switch on and off the power feed so often, it will confuse the software on the car and leave you with partial charges.

Thanks..how did you manage to get the anytime tariff to work?

@E-golf 

There use to be a Golf listed on the anytime app for a short while if you installed it.

I don't think it is there to select anymore. You could download the app to check.

So you will get stuck at the first hurdle now as well as the issue that 3 pin plugs are not officially supported.

You could email the ovo team to confirm you can't use your car unless you buy a compatible charger.

smarthome@ovoenergy.com

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Jeffus is 100% correct. There was a brief spell of a month or so when eGolfs were listed on the app but not on the website. That’s when I sneaked in. I don’t think they have been on the Kaluza app drop-down list for several months.

The fact remains that the software seems to work when connected, so I’m not sure why it has taken so long to add a wider range of VWs on to the compatibility list.

But in any case the granny charger would still be an issue for a full-fat EV.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Did you make any progress @E-golf emailing ovo

Userlevel 7

Hey @E-golf,

I’ll ask if there are any updates on this internally and get back to you 😊

Badge

Hey @E-golf,

I’ll ask if there are any updates on this internally and get back to you 😊

Thank you 

Userlevel 7

Hey @E-golf,

I am sorry the VW is still not compatible. The list is here. You'd need to have a compatible charger to use Charge Anytime.

We are updating the list frequently and are always looking to add more compatible vehicles, so keep checking the webpage 😊

Badge

Hey @E-golf,

I am sorry the VW is still not compatible. The list is here. You'd need to have a compatible charger to use Charge Anytime.

We are updating the list frequently and are always looking to add more compatible vehicles, so keep checking the webpage 😊

Any more update on this? Any more cars and chargers planned to be fully integrated?

Userlevel 7

No updates currently @E-golf, but I'll ask the team in the new year and see if there is a road map for certain models 🙂

Userlevel 2
Badge

Doesnt make any sense does it?   if the E golf works with the software - why cant they put it

back in the drop down?   some people said they managed to get it to work!?   

is it really all about the charger and not the car?

Userlevel 7

Hey @TD12345,

I’ll ask the team for an update and report back to this topic. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @TD12345,

VW eGolf isnt compatible. You can check this for full compatibility list:

https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/charge-anytime-cars-and-chargers 

The eligibility checker may be confusing as it does let you tick wrong answers too (in case you have a compatible charger and to gather data). So this may have caused some confusion here over compatibility.